[semi-OT] Quick poll - OS for photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    I'm curious about OS use and preference for photo image work. So a little poll
    to get a feel for the general consensus.

    Simple, common sense ground rules:

    --No rants about a particular OS (+ve or -ve)
    --keep answers brief ... no rambling justifications
    --if this kind of thing doesn't interest you, please just ignore it.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    2. Will you be changing OS soon?

    --if yes, then From ( ) to ( )

    3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?

    Why (in <26 words)?

    5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."

    6. Do you use GIMP?
    --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?
    Alan Browne, Dec 15, 2004

  2. Alan Browne

    bob Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote in
    > 1. Which OS

    W2k

    > 2. changing OS soon?

    no

    > 3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    May experiment with Linux. Need to organize drives first. Not a priority.

    > 4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?

    No. Photoshop is Photoshop.

    > 5. True/False: "I've always used

    > 6. Do you use GIMP?

    Y: 8/24 bit
    bob, Dec 15, 2004

  3. Alan Browne

    Owamanga Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:06:19 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    Windows 2000

    >2. Will you be changing OS soon?

    No.

    >3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    No.

    >4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?
    > Why (in <26 words)?

    Yes, the availability of software I need is better on Windows than the
    alternatives. There is more to this than just Photoshop.

    >5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."

    False.

    >6. Do you use GIMP?
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    No.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga, Dec 15, 2004
  4. Alan Browne wrote:

    > 1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Pro

    > 2. Will you be changing OS soon?
    >
    > --if yes, then From ( ) to ( )

    No

    > 3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    Already have that ability with VMware.

    > 4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?
    >
    > Why (in <26 words)?

    Yes. I have a wider choice of software tools to work with.

    > 5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to
    > change."

    False. I've found Windows NT/2000/XP does everything I want and forays in
    Linux have been filled with frustrations.

    > 6. Do you use GIMP?
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    Forced to under Linux simply to view BMP files, but otherwise wouldn't
    touch it with a bargepole. That's probably an old version, in fairness.
    It came with Mandrake 8.2. 8-bit.

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 15, 2004
  5. Alan Browne <> writes:
    > 1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    OS X

    > 2. Will you be changing OS soon?

    Nope

    > 3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    No

    > 4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?

    Probably no real difference from Win2k

    > Why (in <26 words)?

    The software I use (iView Media Pro, Capture One, Photoshop) runs
    pretty equivalently on Win2k and MacOS.

    > 5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."

    OS X, true

    > 6. Do you use GIMP?
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    Yes to both, on rare occasions (I've got some nice script-fu functions
    I've written that don't port well to Photoshop, or I'm too lazy to convert)

    --
    Richard W Kaszeta

    http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
    Richard Kaszeta, Dec 15, 2004
  6. Alan Browne

    adm Guest

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message

    > 1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    Win XP Pro

    > 2. Will you be changing OS soon?
    >
    > --if yes, then From ( ) to ( )

    No.

    > 3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    Used to - RedHat Linux + WinXP

    > 4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?

    Don't know - would like to try MacOS X

    > Why (in <26 words)?

    To see how the other half live.

    > 5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."

    False.

    > 6. Do you use GIMP?
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    No.

    But I would do if it allowed fast browsing of RAW and/or DNG files along
    with support for the regular lot too.
    adm, Dec 15, 2004
  7. In article <r2%vd.94555$>,
    says...
    > 1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    XP Pro.

    > 2. Will you be changing OS soon?
    >
    > --if yes, then From ( ) to ( )

    Not likely unless 64 bit comes on strong.

    > 3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    Naw.

    > 4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?
    >
    > Why (in <26 words)?

    I guess. Windows is pretty handy with the right mouse button and stuff.
    I haven't had XP crash hard in next to forever so I guess that counts
    for something.

    But Photoshop is Photoshop - Mac, XP, whatever.

    > 5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."

    Photoshop and CorelDraw.

    > 6. Do you use GIMP?
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    Nope.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian C. Baird, Dec 15, 2004
  8. Alan Browne

    teflon Guest

    > 1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    Mac OSX

    > 2. Will you be changing OS soon?

    No.

    > 3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    No.

    > 4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?

    Yes.

    > Why (in <26 words)?

    One system crash in three and a half years. No conflicts.

    > 5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."

    False. I've used Windows 95/98/NT/2000/Mac OS9 - in that order.

    > 6. Do you use GIMP?
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    No.
    teflon, Dec 15, 2004
  9. Alan Browne <> writes:

    > I'm curious about OS use and preference for photo image work. So a little poll
    > to get a feel for the general consensus.
    >
    > Simple, common sense ground rules:
    >
    > --No rants about a particular OS (+ve or -ve)
    > --keep answers brief ... no rambling justifications
    > --if this kind of thing doesn't interest you, please just ignore it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan.

    > 1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    Only Linux.

    > 2. Will you be changing OS soon?
    >
    > --if yes, then From ( ) to ( )

    No.

    > 3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    No. I only run Windows on my work machines, or when debugging problems on my
    daughter/wife's computers.

    > 4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?
    >
    > Why (in <26 words)?

    I have been using UNIX/BSD/LINUX/etc. systems since 1982 or so (with some usage
    in 1978). I find Windows is too much mousing around.

    > 5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."

    Probably true.

    > 6. Do you use GIMP?
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    Sometimes (in 8 bit/pixel mode), when I want to do color correction and stuff.
    Most of my photo editing is done with ImageMagick. I find for just bringing up
    a window to see the picture to decide keep/toss and to do minor adjustments,
    ImageMagick is much faster. All of the web building, etc. is done with custom
    written perl code, including use of Image::ExifTool (previously Image::Info),
    and Imagemagick both in command line forms or via the perl interface.

    The one time I needed to use 16 bit/pixel mode, I didn't have cinepaint, so I
    just used ImageMagick.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Dec 15, 2004
  10. Alan Browne wrote:

    > 1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    Mac osX.(aka Panther) on dual G-5.

    > 2. Will you be changing OS soon?

    No.

    > 3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    No.

    > 4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?
    >
    > Why (in <26 words)?

    Yes, because there are fewer peripheral issues.

    > 5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."

    No. At one point I was about to switch 4-5 years ago when Apple was
    floundering.

    > 6. Do you use GIMP?
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    No.
    John McWilliams, Dec 15, 2004
  11. Alan Browne

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > I'm curious about OS use and preference for photo image work. So a little
    > poll to get a feel for the general consensus.
    >
    > Simple, common sense ground rules:

    You have to be joking!!!

    <Snipped Text>

    > 1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    I use four actually. Mainly OSX (10.3), but also have the use of
    XWindows, and of course OS 9. I can also use Windows as well if needed.

    > 2. Will you be changing OS soon?

    Nope.

    > --if yes, then From ( ) to ( )

    N/A

    > 3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    Erm, already do.

    > 4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?

    Not really......

    > Why (in <26 words)?

    .......I believe most of my favourite apps are available on more than one
    OS, with the exception of Graphic Converter.

    > 5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."

    False.

    > 6. Do you use GIMP?
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    Yes, not much though, it's far too slow and doesn't have a decent file
    browser.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
    Honda Civic 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
    Andy Hewitt, Dec 15, 2004
  12. Alan Browne

    Greg Evans Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > 1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    95% OS X, 5% Win98 or XP.

    > 2. Will you be changing OS soon?

    Probably not.

    > 3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    No.

    > 4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?
    > Why (in <26 words)?

    Not really. I happened to have access to an old Mac G3 with OS X and
    PhotoShop CS on it, so that's what I'm using for photography (i.e.,
    happenstance of availability). If I had gotten a Windows-based
    freebie, that's what I'd be using instead. Either way, the specific
    implementation bears very little relevance to my work habits and
    organizational philosophy.

    More generally, I use both Mac- and Windows-based computers.
    Pragmatically speaking, any modern OS is more-or-less equally capable;
    "which OS" is an irrelevant issue for me and I consider OS religious
    wars a waste of time and energy that could be spent being creative and
    getting work done.

    > 5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to
    > change."

    False.

    > 6. Do you use GIMP?
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    Haven't tried it yet.
    Greg Evans, Dec 15, 2004
  13. In article <r2%vd.94555$>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > 1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    Macintosh OS X 10.3.6

    > 2. Will you be changing OS soon?

    No

    > 3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    I also have Linux, plus Windows 2000 and XP running on other computers.

    > 4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?

    Slightly

    > Why (in <26 words)?

    Mostly because OS X pretty much stays out of my way. XP tries to
    redirect files to the "My Pictures" folder, create previews, etc. If I
    need that kind of help I shouldn't have a computer.

    > 5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."

    I've tried more alternatives than i care to think about, but keep
    coming back.

    > 6. Do you use GIMP?

    Only when my bad knee is acting up. Or does the word have something to
    do with photography, too?
    Scott Schuckert, Dec 15, 2004
  14. Alan Browne

    bob Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote in

    >> 6. Do you use GIMP?
    >> --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    > Forced to under Linux simply to view BMP files, but otherwise wouldn't
    > touch it with a bargepole. That's probably an old version, in
    > fairness. It came with Mandrake 8.2. 8-bit.

    The new version (2.0)has really nice perspective contols. Much more
    functional than PS 6. Other than that it's pretty functional, but not as
    fast. Some of the dialogs are more attractive (like curves has a
    histogram; too bad it's not "live").

    Bob
    bob, Dec 15, 2004
  15. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: [semi-OT] Quick poll - OS for photography -erratum

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > 6. Do you use GIMP?
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    I meant 16 bit per R/G/B channel per pixel, of course, but I believe most of you
    figured that out in any case and were too polite to blast me for it.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Dec 15, 2004
  16. Alan Browne

    Terry Guest

    <> wrote:

    >1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    WinXPHome

    >2. Will you be changing OS soon?

    No

    > --if yes, then From ( ) to ( )

    n/a

    >3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    no

    >4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?

    over what? need experience of alternative to make judgment

    > Why (in <26 words)?
    >
    >5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."

    false

    >6. Do you use GIMP?

    yes
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    no
    --
    Terry
    Geneva
    Terry, Dec 15, 2004
  17. Alan Browne

    Owamanga Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:53:29 GMT, bob <>
    wrote:

    >"David J Taylor" <> wrote in
    >
    >>> 6. Do you use GIMP?
    >>> --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    >> Forced to under Linux simply to view BMP files, but otherwise wouldn't
    >> touch it with a bargepole. That's probably an old version, in
    >> fairness. It came with Mandrake 8.2. 8-bit.
    >>

    >The new version (2.0)has really nice perspective contols. Much more
    >functional than PS 6. Other than that it's pretty functional, but not as
    >fast. Some of the dialogs are more attractive (like curves has a
    >histogram; too bad it's not "live").

    A dead histogram.

    What's up with Photoshop anyway? - The Photoshop RAW importer has a
    3-color histogram, but the product's internal levels histogram doesn't
    have that feature, you can see all channels at once (in black), or
    just one at a time.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga, Dec 15, 2004
  18. Alan Browne

    bob Guest

    Owamanga <> wrote in
    > > [GIMP curves command]

    > A dead histogram.

    It is a snapshot of the histogram as it is when you call up the dialog. It
    would be really nice if it adjusted as you changed the curve.

    Bob
    bob, Dec 15, 2004
  19. Alan Browne

    Hunt Guest

    In article <r2%vd.94555$>, alan.
    says...

    >I'm curious about OS use and preference for photo image work. So a little

    poll
    >to get a feel for the general consensus.
    >
    >Simple, common sense ground rules:
    >
    >--No rants about a particular OS (+ve or -ve)
    >--keep answers brief ... no rambling justifications
    >--if this kind of thing doesn't interest you, please just ignore it.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Alan.

    >1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    Win2K (workstation), WinME (secondary desktop), XP-Media (laptop)

    >2. Will you be changing OS soon?
    >
    > --if yes, then From ( ) to ( )

    ME will probably give way soon to XP-x, but is still used for legacy painting
    software no longer available. Only time will tell if I still use these enough
    to justify that old an OS.

    >3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    No

    >4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?

    For me, yes.

    > Why (in <26 words)?

    I have always used Win and have to really poke around in MAC. For Photoshop,
    they are similar in workings, but comfort level is important.

    >5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."

    True

    >6. Do you use GIMP?
    > --if yes: in 16 bit/pixel mode?

    No

    Hunt
    Hunt, Dec 15, 2004
  20. Alan Browne

    Wright Guest

    > 1. Which OS do you use for photography related work.
    > (Indicate if you use 2 OS's on same/different platforms)

    OSX and WinXP (90+% OSX)
    > 2. Will you be changing OS soon?

    No
    > --if yes, then From ( ) to ( )
    >
    > 3. Will you be changing to running dual OS? (eg: WinXP + Linux)

    No
    > 4. Does your choice of OS improve your photo workflow?

    Yes

    > Why (in <26 words)?

    I prefer the Mac interface

    > 5. True/False: "I've always used _____ and I can't be bothered to change."