    At least our boss now knows that MCSE's not worth the paper it's written on
    LOL!

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Sep 3, 2007

  2. TheITGirl

    John R Guest

    "TheITGirl" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > At least our boss now knows that MCSE's not worth the paper it's written
    > on LOL!

    And that is the real shame of the situation. You see, some MCSE's actually
    do know their back end from the proverbial hole in the ground, but your boss
    won't believe that for a long time, maybe never. Sad really.

    John R

    John R, Sep 4, 2007

  3. TheITGirl

    TheITGirl Guest

    > "TheITGirl" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> At least our boss now knows that MCSE's not worth the paper it's written
    >> on LOL!

    > And that is the real shame of the situation. You see, some MCSE's
    > actually do know their back end from the proverbial hole in the ground,
    > but your boss won't believe that for a long time, maybe never. Sad
    > really.
    >
    > John R

    Apologies - I think I misled you. What I meant to say was that "our boss
    now knows that **his** [monitor man's] MCSE's not worth the paper it's
    written on." The good thing that came out of the story was that he now
    realises that, even if a job candidate has the letters "MCSE" after his
    name, this does not obviate the need for rigorous testing.

    I actually have a lot of respect for anyone who successfully completes the
    MCSE the hard way, ie. through study and experience. I don't know if I will
    ever achieve these dizzy heights, but I'm hoping to get more experience with
    servers here at work so I can proceed towards my MCSA.

    Regards.

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Sep 4, 2007
  4. TheITGirl

    Montreal MCT Guest

    IT Girl please contact me off-line... .

    Thanks!

    --
    Mitch Garvis, MCT
    MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS

    Montreal MCT, Sep 4, 2007
  5. TheITGirl

    Tyler Cobb Guest

    How? I mean, literally. This person sounds like he rides the short bus to
    work every morning. How can he get the MCSE tackled so quickly? Was it an
    MCSE 2000 or something? I heard a lot of people were able to "wing it"
    through that course back when it first became available, but I was also
    under the impression that it was no longer possible to attain an MCSE 2000
    certification. Either way, I'm just amazed!

    Tyler Cobb, Sep 5, 2007
  6. TheITGirl

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Tyler Cobb" <> wrote in message
    > How? I mean, literally. This person sounds like he rides the short bus to
    > work every morning. How can he get the MCSE tackled so quickly? Was it an
    > MCSE 2000 or something? I heard a lot of people were able to "wing it"
    > through that course back when it first became available, but I was also
    > under the impression that it was no longer possible to attain an MCSE 2000
    > certification. Either way, I'm just amazed!
    >
    > "TheITGirl" <> wrote in message
    >> Remember I told you about the guy at our London office who swapped out
    >> someone's monitor just because the display was upside down? He got the
    >> nickname "Monitor Man" in our office.
    >>
    >> Well, this same guy is now an MCSE after attending a 2-week bootcamp.

    I suspect there are some bootcamps that just feed their customers
    braindumps. I can't say for sure, mind, because I've never been to one,
    and I'm not accusing Monitor Man or anyone else of cheating.

    I have heard colleagues talk about other people who have had interviews for
    jobs on the strength of an MCSE obtained at such camps, who have few
    troubleshooting skills and can't do the simplest of tasks.

    I have to admit I'm no IT guru myself; I have only been working in IT for
    two years and obtained my MCDST earlier this year. However, some of these
    "paper MCSEs" can't do stuff that I would expect the most junior technician
    to be able to do, such as set a static IP address.

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Sep 5, 2007
  7. "TheITGirl" <> wrote in message

    > I suspect there are some bootcamps that just feed their customers braindumps.
    > I can't say for sure, mind, because I've never been to one, and I'm not
    > accusing Monitor Man or anyone else of cheating.

    Let me confirm that suspicion for you.

    --
    CertGuard

    Robert Williams [CertGuard], Sep 5, 2007
  8. Robert Williams [CertGuard] wrote:

    > "TheITGirl" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I suspect there are some bootcamps that just feed their customers
    >> braindumps. I can't say for sure, mind, because I've never been to
    >> one, and I'm not accusing Monitor Man or anyone else of cheating.
    >>

    > Let me confirm that suspicion for you.
    >
    > --
    > CertGuard

    Zing!