    and warned against this type of cleaning as it does wipe everything away.
    If I do this type of clean can I then reload Win 98 so the new owner will
    have a clean start with the P.C and hard drive.
    not hereplease@not here.com, Dec 27, 2003

  2. not hereplease@not here.com

    Paul - xxx Guest

    not hereplease@not here.com posted ...

    > I am looking to sell my P.C and buy a new laptop.
    > Should I clean the hard drive before selling to be on the safe side
    > as I have used my credit card over the net.
    > I remember somewhere it was possible to clean everything from the
    > hard drive and warned against this type of cleaning as it does wipe
    > everything away. If I do this type of clean can I then reload Win 98
    > so the new owner will have a clean start with the P.C and hard drive.

    http://tinyurl.com/ac4a

    "How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a
    Hard Disk
    Applies To
    SUMMARY
    This article describes the Fdisk and Format tools and how to use them to
    partition or repartition a hard disk. This article describes the following
    topics:

    a.. How to Use the Fdisk and Format Tools
    b.. Important Considerations Before You Use the Fdisk and Format Tools
    c.. How to Partition and Format a Master Hard Disk
    d.. How to Partition and Format a Slave Hard Disk
    e.. How to Repartition and Format the Extended Partition and Logical
    Drives of a Hard Disk
    f.. Frequently Asked Questions "

    --
    Paul
    Paul - xxx, Dec 27, 2003

  3. not hereplease@not here.com

    °Mike° Guest

    Install Eraser (free) on another drive/computer and wipe the
    drive -- using 7 passes for *secure* wiping -- that you will be
    selling.
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 19:30:21 -0000, in
    <q5lHb.11475$>
    not hereplease@not here.com scrawled:

    >I am looking to sell my P.C and buy a new laptop.
    >Should I clean the hard drive before selling to be on the safe side as I
    >have used my credit card over the net.
    >I remember somewhere it was possible to clean everything from the hard drive
    >and warned against this type of cleaning as it does wipe everything away.
    >If I do this type of clean can I then reload Win 98 so the new owner will
    >have a clean start with the P.C and hard drive.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 27, 2003
  4. not hereplease@not here.com

    Mellowed Guest

    Check out this program. http://www.killdisk.com/

    "not hereplease@not here.com" <> wrote in message
    : I am looking to sell my P.C and buy a new laptop.
    : Should I clean the hard drive before selling to be on the safe side as
    : have used my credit card over the net.
    : I remember somewhere it was possible to clean everything from the hard
    drive
    : and warned against this type of cleaning as it does wipe everything
    away.
    : If I do this type of clean can I then reload Win 98 so the new owner
    will
    : have a clean start with the P.C and hard drive.
    :
    :
    :
    Mellowed, Dec 27, 2003
  5. not hereplease@not here.com

    Sultan Guest

    °Mike° wrote in news::

    > Install Eraser (free) on another drive/computer and wipe the
    > drive -- using 7 passes for *secure* wiping -- that you will be
    > selling.
    > http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
    >

    > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 19:30:21 -0000, in
    > <q5lHb.11475$>
    > not hereplease@not here.com scrawled:
    >
    >>I am looking to sell my P.C and buy a new laptop.
    >>Should I clean the hard drive before selling to be on the safe side as
    >>I have used my credit card over the net.
    >>I remember somewhere it was possible to clean everything from the hard
    >>drive and warned against this type of cleaning as it does wipe
    >>everything away. If I do this type of clean can I then reload Win 98
    >>so the new owner will have a clean start with the P.C and hard drive.

    If you happen to have a Gateway, they include a utility on one of the
    system disks called gwscan, with it you can write all zeros to the
    harddrive which will ensure each sector being written to, as an earlier
    poster said you should wipe the drive (reformat) at least 7 times to
    insure your data is unrecoverable and then do a clean install for the new
    owner.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Dec 28, 2003
  6. not hereplease@not here.com

    °Mike° Guest

    On 27 Dec 2003 19:53:45 -0600, in
    <Xns945ECA64DAF77sultanofcyberhotmail@209.25.157.130>
    Sultan scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote in news::
    >
    >> Install Eraser (free) on another drive/computer and wipe the
    >> drive -- using 7 passes for *secure* wiping -- that you will be
    >> selling.
    >> http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

    <snip>

    >If you happen to have a Gateway, they include a utility on one of the
    >system disks called gwscan, with it you can write all zeros to the
    >harddrive which will ensure each sector being written to, as an earlier
    >poster said you should wipe the drive (reformat) at least 7 times to
    >insure your data is unrecoverable and then do a clean install for the new
    >owner.
    >
    >Sultan

    Please reply to the correct poster. I don't have the problem.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    Sultan, Dec 28, 2003