    installed on the computer. They don't need this
    software and want to realize the value but I believe
    the valuable part is the licence. What to do?

    jfwilson, Aug 1, 2003

  2. jfwilson

    Max Guest

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:45:42 +1200, "jfwilson"
    <> wrote:

    >Some friends of mine had their computer stolen.
    >Left behind is an opened box of WindowsXP Pro.
    >but they do not know whether or not it had been
    >installed on the computer. They don't need this
    >software and want to realize the value but I believe
    >the valuable part is the licence. What to do?

    If it has been installed on the stolen computer, and is an OEM
    version, then it is probably worthless.

    Max, Aug 1, 2003

  3. jfwilson

    MarkH Guest

    "jfwilson" <> wrote in news:SRoWa.8639$9f7.1001409
    @news02.tsnz.net:

    > Some friends of mine had their computer stolen.
    > Left behind is an opened box of WindowsXP Pro.
    > but they do not know whether or not it had been
    > installed on the computer. They don't need this
    > software and want to realize the value but I believe
    > the valuable part is the licence. What to do?

    In a box? As in a retail version?

    If it is a retail box with the certificate, then it is legally usable.
    Certainly the thieves have no right to use what is loaded on the PC, being
    thieves and all.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Aug 1, 2003
  4. jfwilson

    jfwilson Guest

    "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > "jfwilson" <> wrote in news:SRoWa.8639$9f7.1001409
    > @news02.tsnz.net:
    >
    > > Some friends of mine had their computer stolen.
    > > Left behind is an opened box of WindowsXP Pro.
    > > but they do not know whether or not it had been
    > > installed on the computer. They don't need this
    > > software and want to realize the value but I believe
    > > the valuable part is the licence. What to do?

    > In a box? As in a retail version?
    >
    > If it is a retail box with the certificate, then it is legally usable.
    > Certainly the thieves have no right to use what is loaded on the PC, being
    > thieves and all.

    It's in a box with the certificate of authenticity for
    PCs without windows. There is'nt much of a demand
    on Trademe but if someone did buy it would they have
    any difficulties installing it, or with Microsoft?

    jfwilson, Aug 1, 2003
  5. "jfwilson" <> wrote in message
    > Some friends of mine had their computer stolen.
    > Left behind is an opened box of WindowsXP Pro.
    > but they do not know whether or not it had been
    > installed on the computer. They don't need this
    > software and want to realize the value but I believe
    > the valuable part is the licence. What to do?

    It seems to me that if they knew what their license key was then they should
    be legally entitled to still use the software (since theft does not negate
    ownership).

    Andrew Bryson, Aug 1, 2003
  6. jfwilson

    M.J.Hughes Guest

    But if insurance pays out for the computer then legally they become owners of
    the software

    Mike

    In article <YeqWa.8646$>,
    says...

    M.J.Hughes, Aug 4, 2003
  7. jfwilson

    Brett Cooper Guest

    If WinXp had been installed on the computer then the XP activation key
    would have been stuck onto the computer case, as instructed by MS.
    So if the case is gone, the key has gone and they CD is useless without the
    key (Unless you get an XP key program from some shady part of the net)

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Aug 4, 2003