    personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
    I remove the HD before selling it?

    Thanks, David
    Zaphod, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Zaphod

    *****General Guest

    "Zaphod" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan on
    > trying to sell it on eBay.
    >
    > I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
    > did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
    > on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
    > setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
    > loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.
    >
    > My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
    > it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
    > that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
    > personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
    > I remove the HD before selling it?

    I find that a hammer and magnet are the only reliable method of removing
    data permanantly. Not necessarily in that order though.
    *****General, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Zaphod

    Rob K Guest

    Zaphod wrote:

    > Does
    > that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
    > personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
    > I remove the HD before selling it?

    No. Yes.

    Data recovery tools can do amazing things.

    Removing the HD and destroying it is the safest way to protect your
    personal information. Other than that, Google for HD wiping tools.

    So it's a matter of personal preference.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13
    vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy
    Rob K, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Zaphod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Zaphod" <> wrote in message
    >I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan on
    > trying to sell it on eBay.
    >
    > I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
    > did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
    > on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
    > setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
    > loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.
    >
    > My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
    > it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
    > that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
    > personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
    > I remove the HD before selling it?

    Was there anything "confidential" on it? Or just "personal"? No one cares
    about your "personal" information. And most people aren't going to go to the
    trouble to try and recover a re-formated hard drive just to look for your
    "personal" files. If you are paranoid, you can run Darik's Boot and Nuke to
    render the data on the hard drive as close to non-recoverable as possible.

    If this was used in a *business* and contains confidential information, then
    you need to destroy the drive (or ship the computer without it.)
    Toolman Tim, Jan 11, 2006
  5. "Zaphod" <> wrote in message
    >I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan on
    > trying to sell it on eBay.
    >
    > I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
    > did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
    > on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
    > setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
    > loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.
    >
    > My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
    > it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
    > that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
    > personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
    > I remove the HD before selling it?
    >

    > Thanks, David

    Overwrite EVERY sector on the drive. Just fill it up till it's full of shit!
    Then format it. That'll do the trick. ;)

    Geo.
    Champagne Charlie, Jan 11, 2006
  6. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Thanks everybody. You all had some good points to make.

    I think I will see how long it will take to fill the HD with data and
    then format it again. It took about 7 hours for Windows to install
    since I had to disable the internal cache to get it to work. I have a
    cd of family pictures that I wil try to load and see how long it takes,
    if it will work at all.

    The HD is only about 13 GB.

    There's not a lot but there are some business and some personal finance
    info that I would not like anyone to get.

    Thanks, David
    Zaphod, Jan 11, 2006
  7. Zaphod wrote:

    > I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan on
    > trying to sell it on eBay.
    >
    > I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
    > did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
    > on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
    > setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
    > loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.

    Do you ever plan to sell anything else on ebay, or are you deliberately
    aiming for bad reputation?

    > My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
    > it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
    > that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
    > personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
    > I remove the HD before selling it?

    Your "personal information" will be on ebay anyways. If you have
    confidential (business?) data left there, rather find a good steel mill.
    No, you don't need to remove the harddrive beforehand.

    Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Jan 11, 2006
  8. Zaphod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Walter Mautner spewed forth:
    > Zaphod wrote:
    >
    >> I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan
    >> on trying to sell it on eBay.
    >>
    >> I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
    >> did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the
    >> computer on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache
    >> in the bios setting or the comuter just turns itself off before
    >> Windows completely loads. And that just seems to be the first of
    >> more problems.
    >>

    > Do you ever plan to sell anything else on ebay, or are you
    > deliberately aiming for bad reputation?

    ROTFL!!!

    --
    Pursuant to Public Law No 109-162 I hereby certify, assert, testify,
    warrant, and affirm that it is not (nor has it ever been) my intent,
    Toolman Tim, Jan 12, 2006
  9. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Do you ever plan to sell anything else on ebay, or are you deliberately
    > aiming for bad reputation?

    HUH? If I am honest and upfront about the problems with the computer,
    why would my reputation be ruined? I would never sell anything without
    giving an accurate description of it.

    Zaphod, Jan 12, 2006
  10. Zaphod

    Sunny Guest

    "Zaphod" <> wrote in message

    > Walter Mautner wrote:
    >> Do you ever plan to sell anything else on ebay, or are you deliberately
    >> aiming for bad reputation?
    >>

    > HUH? If I am honest and upfront about the problems with the computer,
    > why would my reputation be ruined? I would never sell anything without
    > giving an accurate description of it.

    <snip>
    Like :
    > I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
    > did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
    > on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
    > setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
    > loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.

    If you describe the PC as "suitable as a door stop" your reputation will be
    secure.
    Sunny, Jan 12, 2006
  11. Zaphod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:R8hxf.213946$,
    Sunny spewed forth:
    > "Zaphod" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Walter Mautner wrote:
    >>> Do you ever plan to sell anything else on ebay, or are you
    >>> deliberately aiming for bad reputation?
    >>>

    >> HUH? If I am honest and upfront about the problems with the
    >> computer, why would my reputation be ruined? I would never sell
    >> anything without giving an accurate description of it.

    > <snip>
    > Like :
    >> I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
    >> did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the
    >> computer on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache
    >> in the bios setting or the comuter just turns itself off before
    >> Windows completely loads. And that just seems to be the first of
    >> more problems.

    > If you describe the PC as "suitable as a door stop" your reputation
    > will be secure.

    Or "spare parts only" <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 12, 2006
  12. Zaphod

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Was there anything "confidential" on it? Or just "personal"? No one cares
    > about your "personal" information. And most people aren't going to go to the

    Agreed.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 12, 2006
  13. Zaphod

    Plato Guest

    Zaphod wrote:

    > My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
    > it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
    > that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
    > personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
    > I remove the HD before selling it?

    It's easy to get all files back after a format. Do a zero fill to put
    the hard drive back to a factory fresh state.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 12, 2006
  14. Zaphod

    PC Guest

    "Champagne Charlie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Zaphod" <> wrote in message
    >>I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan on
    >> trying to sell it on eBay.
    >>
    >> I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
    >> did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
    >> on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
    >> setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
    >> loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.
    >>
    >> My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
    >> it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
    >> that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
    >> personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
    >> I remove the HD before selling it?
    >>

    >> Thanks, David
    >>

    > Overwrite EVERY sector on the drive. Just fill it up till it's full of
    > shit! Then format it. That'll do the trick. ;)
    >
    > Geo.

    Geo

    Go to the manufacturers website and download their HD utility(s)
    eg Maxblast for Maxtor, Seatools for Seagate......

    Most of these toolsets have a zero fill option.

    Otherwise the 'best' way is to burn a copy of UBCD
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ which has most of them already.
    As well it has some 'erase' tools ranging from 'probably all you'll need'
    thru to 'even the NSA couldn't get anything off it'

    Just boot from the CD with the old hard drive as the only connected hd and
    get to work.

    Paul.
    PC, Jan 12, 2006
  15. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:R8hxf.213946$,
    > Sunny spewed forth:
    > > "Zaphod" <> wrote in message

    > >> HUH? If I am honest and upfront about the problems with the
    > >> computer, why would my reputation be ruined? I would never sell
    > >> anything without giving an accurate description of it.

    > > <snip>
    > > Like :
    > >> I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
    > >> did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the
    > >> computer on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache
    > >> in the bios setting or the comuter just turns itself off before
    > >> Windows completely loads. And that just seems to be the first of
    > >> more problems.

    > > If you describe the PC as "suitable as a door stop" your reputation
    > > will be secure.

    > Or "spare parts only" <g>

    Spare parts is what I was thinking. The video card is brand new. I
    wonder if I should put the old video card back in the computer and sell
    the new video card seperate. I still have the box and all the
    packaging.

    My nephew sold his old computer that crashed on eBay for $400.00
    without the HD. I figure if anybody can use some of the parts and I can
    get a few bucks for it, it is better than throwing it in the dumpster.

    Thanks, David

    Zaphod, Jan 12, 2006
  16. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Sunny wrote:
    > "Zaphod" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Walter Mautner wrote:
    > >> Do you ever plan to sell anything else on ebay, or are you deliberately
    > >> aiming for bad reputation?
    > >>

    > > HUH? If I am honest and upfront about the problems with the computer,
    > > why would my reputation be ruined? I would never sell anything without
    > > giving an accurate description of it.

    > <snip>
    > Like :
    > > I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
    > > did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
    > > on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
    > > setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
    > > loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.

    > If you describe the PC as "suitable as a door stop" your reputation will be
    > secure.

    Or I could describe it as "Catapult Ammo".
    Zaphod, Jan 12, 2006
  17. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "Champagne Charlie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Zaphod" <> wrote in message
    > >>I am giving up trying to revive my old Windows 98 Computer and plan on
    > >> trying to sell it on eBay.
    > >>
    > >> I have formatted the HD twice in two attempts to reinstall windows. I
    > >> did get windows to install the second time but when I turn the computer
    > >> on, I have to go into setup and disable the internal cache in the bios
    > >> setting or the comuter just turns itself off before Windows completely
    > >> loads. And that just seems to be the first of more problems.
    > >>
    > >> My question is, since I have formatted the HD two different times, is
    > >> it OK to sell the computer with the HD still with the machine? Does
    > >> that formatting process make it hard enough for anybody to retrieve any
    > >> personal information from the HD for me not to wrry about it or should
    > >> I remove the HD before selling it?
    > >>

    > >> Thanks, David
    > >>

    > > Overwrite EVERY sector on the drive. Just fill it up till it's full of
    > > shit! Then format it. That'll do the trick. ;)
    > >
    > > Geo.
    > >

    > Geo
    >
    > Go to the manufacturers website and download their HD utility(s)
    > eg Maxblast for Maxtor, Seatools for Seagate......
    >
    > Most of these toolsets have a zero fill option.
    >
    > Otherwise the 'best' way is to burn a copy of UBCD
    > http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ which has most of them already.
    > As well it has some 'erase' tools ranging from 'probably all you'll need'
    > thru to 'even the NSA couldn't get anything off it'
    >
    > Just boot from the CD with the old hard drive as the only connected hd and
    > get to work.
    >
    > Paul.

    Thanks, I will have to check that out.

    David
    Zaphod, Jan 12, 2006
  18. Zaphod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Zaphod" <> wrote in message

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:R8hxf.213946$,
    >> Sunny spewed forth:
    >> > "Zaphod" <> wrote in message

    >> > <snip>
    >> > Like :
    >> >
    >> > If you describe the PC as "suitable as a door stop" your reputation
    >> > will be secure.

    >> Or "spare parts only" <g>

    > Spare parts is what I was thinking. The video card is brand new. I
    > wonder if I should put the old video card back in the computer and sell
    > the new video card seperate. I still have the box and all the
    > packaging.
    >
    > My nephew sold his old computer that crashed on eBay for $400.00
    > without the HD. I figure if anybody can use some of the parts and I can
    > get a few bucks for it, it is better than throwing it in the dumpster.

    Or sell it piece by piece. I've done that with dead laptops, and made much
    better money than trying to sell the whole unit non-working.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 12, 2006
  19. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > >> Or "spare parts only" <g>

    > > Spare parts is what I was thinking. The video card is brand new. I
    > > wonder if I should put the old video card back in the computer and sell
    > > the new video card seperate. I still have the box and all the
    > > packaging.
    > >
    > > My nephew sold his old computer that crashed on eBay for $400.00
    > > without the HD. I figure if anybody can use some of the parts and I can
    > > get a few bucks for it, it is better than throwing it in the dumpster.

    > Or sell it piece by piece. I've done that with dead laptops, and made much
    > better money than trying to sell the whole unit non-working.
    >
    > --
    > Pursuant to Public Law No 109-162 I hereby certify, assert, testify,
    > warrant, and affirm that it is not (nor has it ever been) my intent,
    > aim, objective or purpose in any way to irritate, frustrate, provoke,
    > gall, aggravate, bother, bug, chafe, fret, irk, nettle, peeve, put out,
    > rile, bait, beleaguer, beset, plague, tease, torment, worry, disturb,
    > vex, exasperate, ruffle, harrass, harry, pester, bedevil, piss off,
    > piss on, or in any other way annoy the reader of this post.

    Thant sounds pretty good. Shipping sure would be easier.

    Other than the sound card and HD, I wonder what other parts people
    would be interested in.

    Since I don't know exactly what parts are bad other than the Floppy
    Drive, I would have to offer a refund if a buyer gets a bad part.

    It has a Pentium II processor. I wonder what that would be worth. I'll
    go to eBay and do a search to see what is being sold.

    Thanks, David
    Zaphod, Jan 12, 2006
  20. Zaphod

    don ward Guest

    Therees a Pent II at local thrift store complete with all hardware
    and fan for 2.98 hardley worth much

    dnw

    don ward, Jan 13, 2006