Selling banner ad space on NZ websites

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by madknoxie, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. madknoxie

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <pan.2003.10.09.01.51.58.481560@127.0.0.1>,
    Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got websites, pulling mainly NZ visitors, on which I want to sell
    > banner advertising.
    >
    > How should I go about finding advertisers?
    >
    > Are there any ad agencies in NZ that handle placement of banner ads?
    >
    > What's the deal - do advertisers/agents pay per-impression, or per-click,
    > or both?
    >
    > And what's the going rate? (I remember Zfree charging advertisers
    > 5c/impression, which did seem a bit high).
    >
    > (I know pr0n banners pay a lot more, but this wouldn't sit well with my
    > sites' audiences, so I'd prefer to avoid them).
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your recommendations

    I would find companies that are related closely to the theme or content
    of your website(s). I don't think there are any agencies that will do
    this for you unless you have a huge amount of hits. Another option is to
    join a banner exchange like: http://www.nzads.co.nz/ whereby you display
    ads for others and in return they display yours (all done automajically).

    The going rate generally used to be charged per impression - but now I
    think its more of a monthly/flat rate fee type of thing. There are
    plenty of free/open source applications that can manage banners for you,
    and even provide a place for your clients to log in and see how many
    impressions and clicks they have had.

    Care to list your sites? We might be able to give better recommendations
    if you do.

    --
    madknoxie

    Evil Bastard, Oct 9, 2003

  3. "Evil Bastard" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got websites, pulling mainly NZ visitors, on which I want to sell
    > banner advertising.
    >
    > How should I go about finding advertisers?
    >
    > Are there any ad agencies in NZ that handle placement of banner ads?
    >
    > What's the deal - do advertisers/agents pay per-impression, or per-click,
    > or both?
    >
    > And what's the going rate? (I remember Zfree charging advertisers
    > 5c/impression, which did seem a bit high).

    Or you can try Google AdSense. Have a look on Geekzone for examples. Once
    you join the program and place the code, Google will place ads that are
    relevant to the content - thus more content is better:
    https://www.google.com/adsense/

    You have options of different formats and colours. They are a PPC program
    (pay per click), so depending on your impressions, CTR and target audience
    you might get more per CPM than banner ads.

    --
    Mauricio Freitas

    Mauricio Freitas, Oct 9, 2003
  4. madknoxie

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:17:33 +1300, Mauricio Freitas wrote:

    > You have options of different formats and colours. They are a PPC program
    > (pay per click), so depending on your impressions, CTR and target audience
    > you might get more per CPM than banner ads.

    Makes me wonder - what are typical CTRs?

    My gut feeling suggests they could be anything from 0.01% to 0.1%

    Can you recommend any sites with more info?

    Evil Bastard, Oct 9, 2003
  5. "Evil Bastard" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:17:33 +1300, Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    >
    > > You have options of different formats and colours. They are a PPC

    program
    > > (pay per click), so depending on your impressions, CTR and target

    audience
    > > you might get more per CPM than banner ads.

    > Makes me wonder - what are typical CTRs?
    >
    > My gut feeling suggests they could be anything from 0.01% to 0.1%
    >
    > Can you recommend any sites with more info?

    The TOS don't let me publish this information. Contact me through Geekzone
    for more personal information ;)

    --
    Mauricio Freitas

    Mauricio Freitas, Oct 9, 2003
  6. "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    > "Evil Bastard" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:17:33 +1300, Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > >
    > > > You have options of different formats and colours. They are a PPC

    > program
    > > > (pay per click), so depending on your impressions, CTR and target

    > audience
    > > > you might get more per CPM than banner ads.

    > > Makes me wonder - what are typical CTRs?
    > >
    > > My gut feeling suggests they could be anything from 0.01% to 0.1%
    > >
    > > Can you recommend any sites with more info?

    Also, the CTR will depend on what kind of content you have - if users see an
    ad that is closely related to the content they might go there. For
    non-repeating users, who find your site through a search engine you can get
    quite high, simply because these users are in "looking for" mode.

    Other users will click depending on their interest in that moment.

    But on average you'd be surprised.

    --
    Mauricio Freitas

    Mauricio Freitas, Oct 9, 2003