Self Study for the MCSE route

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by BJM, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. BJM

    BJM Guest

    So I have been looking through all of the options for an MCSE and just
    couldn't see the benefit of spending 14 days learning a subject that
    obviously takes more than 14 days to master.

    In other words I decided that I wanted to learn to be an MCSE not just to
    pass an MCSE exam, because, to be honest I am working in IT and have been
    for a long time. Started out as a hobby that became my career (as all the
    best ones do).

    Anyway now I am head of support and IT for a small software company and the
    CTO says to me one day that it would be nice if we had an MCSE on the
    payroll and when was I going to do it and so on...

    So I am going to self study as it suits my character best (3 years as a
    teacher for evening classes means I hate sitting down in a classroom).

    Anyway my question is this:

    Am I making a stupid mistake or has anyone else here done a similar thing to
    me - i.e. pick up the syllabus and some books and the relevant software and
    learned it or would I be missing large sections of my brain if I went that
    way?

    Your opinions would really help me out.

    In the meantime I am off to play robodump in my office

    Barry
    BJM, Dec 7, 2004

  2. BJM

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, BJM climbed on a soapbox & opined:

    > So I have been looking through all of the options for an MCSE and just
    > couldn't see the benefit of spending 14 days learning a subject that
    > obviously takes more than 14 days to master.
    >
    > In other words I decided that I wanted to learn to be an MCSE not just
    > to pass an MCSE exam, because, to be honest I am working in IT and
    > have been for a long time. Started out as a hobby that became my
    > career (as all the best ones do).
    >
    > Anyway now I am head of support and IT for a small software company
    > and the CTO says to me one day that it would be nice if we had an MCSE
    > on the payroll and when was I going to do it and so on...
    >
    > So I am going to self study as it suits my character best (3 years as
    > a teacher for evening classes means I hate sitting down in a
    > classroom).
    >
    > Anyway my question is this:
    >
    > Am I making a stupid mistake or has anyone else here done a similar
    > thing to me - i.e. pick up the syllabus and some books and the
    > relevant software and learned it or would I be missing large sections
    > of my brain if I went that way?

    If self study is your thing, then go for it. I did kind of a mix of both,
    but if I had it to do over again, it would be all self-study.

    Just do it.

    JaR
    JaR, Dec 7, 2004

  3. BJM

    Kendal Emery Guest

    I did basicallt the same thing. And also taught these courses. if you are
    good at self study, and enjoy playing with your own lab, and are confident
    in the whole systems thing, then by all means, self study is a great way to
    learn.

    What do you miss? Your instructors great wit, and life experiences, but if
    you really want those, we'll be glad to supply them here, and none of them
    ever seem to show up on the actual tests.

    good luck, and study hard.
    --
    Kendal Emery
    MCNGP #19
    Kendal Emery, Dec 7, 2004
  4. BJM

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "BJM" <> say in news:FVmtd.674$9r.71
    @newsfe4-win.ntli.net:

    > In other words I decided that I wanted to learn to be an MCSE not just

    > pass an MCSE exam,

    *sniff*
    man that's nice to see for a change...

    Good on ya! yes it can be done. just might take a little longer than 14
    days.

    now stop posting with a real e-mail addy

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Dec 7, 2004
  5. BJM

    BJM Guest

    > did you hear "BJM" <> say in news:FVmtd.674$9r.71
    > @newsfe4-win.ntli.net:
    >
    > > In other words I decided that I wanted to learn to be an MCSE not just

    > > pass an MCSE exam,

    > *sniff*
    > man that's nice to see for a change...
    >
    > Good on ya! yes it can be done. just might take a little longer than 14
    > days.
    >
    > now stop posting with a real e-mail addy
    >
    > --
    > Neil MCNGP #30
    > "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to
    > learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for
    > their apparent disinclination to do so."
    > -- a quote by Doug Adams (Author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

    Thanks Neil and all the previous guys - just spotted my email address there
    (oops)
    BJM, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Go for it!
    make sure you read the objectives at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/
    and use
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/default.asp
    as your reference for doubtful points. Also, http://www.amazon.com often
    sell second hand MS Press Books. Throw any questions at us, it's good to see
    someone willing to work for their MCSE instead of wanting braindumps :)

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz

    Wayne McGlinn, Dec 7, 2004