Self Shot Head & Shoulders

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phil, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    I have newspaper who has asked me for a head and shoulders to be emailed by
    mid Monday morning.

    Nothing to hand so no problem (I thought) set up the tripod and use self
    timer on my compact digital camera.

    So tried this but!!!

    Wanted two lots of shots one with me wearing dark suit and one with lighter
    suit but following issues arose:

    What is best background for each?
    I am struggling to get far enough from wall so as not to have dark shadow
    around my head. Camera has fixed and built in flash so can't bounce off
    anywhere?
    Do I use Multi Pattern or Centre Weighted focus both are not behaving and I
    am getting many 'out of focus' shots?
    Do I put lights on high at ceiling, desk and floor standing or just rely on
    flash?
    Do I use normal or telephoto setting.
    Any tips of how to make myself smile OK without looking like a grinning
    clown.
    OK use a Pro - so looked in phone book and years ago every town would have a
    portrait studio and sometimes you could walk in -- but shocked to find few
    and far between and I haven't time to go to the nearest which would take
    half a day.
    Tried getting friend to take but ended up totally unable to compose myself
    to look dignified!!!

    Hell what shall I do??

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Phil

    Doc Guest

    "Phil" <reply to group> wrote in message
    > I have newspaper who has asked me for a head and shoulders to be emailed

    by
    > mid Monday morning.
    >
    > Nothing to hand so no problem (I thought) set up the tripod and use self
    > timer on my compact digital camera.
    >
    > So tried this but!!!

    <snip>

    Submitting a self-portrait for publication ranks right in there with getting
    a self-haircut before taking the picture! Portraiture is a real art and you
    don't want to do it yourself.

    If the newspaper asking for the picture is in town, ask them to send a
    photog over- or go by their offices. If they're out of town, maybe they're
    owned by a newsspaper chain who may own the newspaper in your town or a
    nearby one. Failing that, ask them to recommend a good photog in your town
    and to pre-pay his fee for the shots.

    Nothing is worse than a bad publicity photograph!

    Doc
    Doc, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Phil

    Phil Guest

    "Doc" <> wrote in message
    > "Phil" <reply to group> wrote in message
    > > I have newspaper who has asked me for a head and shoulders to be emailed

    > by
    > > mid Monday morning.
    > >
    > > Nothing to hand so no problem (I thought) set up the tripod and use self
    > > timer on my compact digital camera.
    > >
    > > So tried this but!!!

    > <snip>
    >
    > Submitting a self-portrait for publication ranks right in there with

    getting
    > a self-haircut before taking the picture! Portraiture is a real art and

    you
    > don't want to do it yourself.
    >
    > If the newspaper asking for the picture is in town, ask them to send a
    > photog over- or go by their offices. If they're out of town, maybe they're
    > owned by a newsspaper chain who may own the newspaper in your town or a
    > nearby one. Failing that, ask them to recommend a good photog in your town
    > and to pre-pay his fee for the shots.
    >
    > Nothing is worse than a bad publicity photograph!
    >
    > Doc

    Good points I think they assumed I would have stock of shots but I am not
    one for self promotion on a mug shots basis!

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 16, 2004
  4. Phil

    KenP Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:55:27 -0000, "Phil" <reply to group> wrote:

    >I have newspaper who has asked me for a head and shoulders to be emailed by
    >mid Monday morning.
    >
    >Nothing to hand so no problem (I thought) set up the tripod and use self
    >timer on my compact digital camera.
    >
    >So tried this but!!!
    >
    >Wanted two lots of shots one with me wearing dark suit and one with lighter
    >suit but following issues arose:
    >
    >What is best background for each?
    >I am struggling to get far enough from wall so as not to have dark shadow
    >around my head. Camera has fixed and built in flash so can't bounce off
    >anywhere?
    >Do I use Multi Pattern or Centre Weighted focus both are not behaving and I
    >am getting many 'out of focus' shots?
    >Do I put lights on high at ceiling, desk and floor standing or just rely on
    >flash?
    >Do I use normal or telephoto setting.
    >Any tips of how to make myself smile OK without looking like a grinning
    >clown.
    >OK use a Pro - so looked in phone book and years ago every town would have a
    >portrait studio and sometimes you could walk in -- but shocked to find few
    >and far between and I haven't time to go to the nearest which would take
    >half a day.
    >Tried getting friend to take but ended up totally unable to compose myself
    >to look dignified!!!
    >
    >Hell what shall I do??
    >
    >Phil

    You wouldn't remove your own appendix, right? You would choose a
    surgeon that you trust & respect, and maybe check on how his other
    patients fared. This probably isn't a good time to save a few bucks.
    KenP, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Phil

    Tony Rice Guest

    KenP <> wrote in news:dmsf001ih63f6np765td1u2g71o6mlg6g6@
    4ax.com:

    > You wouldn't remove your own appendix, right? You would choose a
    > surgeon that you trust & respect, and maybe check on how his other
    > patients fared. This probably isn't a good time to save a few bucks.

    Based on the original post, it doesn't sound like money is the issue, it's
    time.
    Tony Rice, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Phil

    Phil Guest

    "Tony Rice" <> wrote in message
    > KenP <> wrote in news:dmsf001ih63f6np765td1u2g71o6mlg6g6@
    > 4ax.com:
    >
    > > You wouldn't remove your own appendix, right? You would choose a
    > > surgeon that you trust & respect, and maybe check on how his other
    > > patients fared. This probably isn't a good time to save a few bucks.

    > Based on the original post, it doesn't sound like money is the issue, it's
    > time.

    Yes you are right I am happy to spend at Pro to get some file shots but no
    time so for this one it is my endeavours but I will then get some proper
    shots done.

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 16, 2004
  7. Phil

    Brothermark Guest

    just trial and error. take millions and see what happens
    Brothermark, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Phil

    Phil Guest

    "Brothermark" <> wrote in message
    > just trial and error. take millions and see what happens

    I don't like me on photos at the best of times!

    Still I can darken my hair, whiten my teeth, etc!!

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 16, 2004
  9. Phil

    Tony Rice Guest

    "Phil" <reply to group> wrote in

    > I have newspaper who has asked me for a head and shoulders to be
    > emailed by mid Monday morning.
    >
    > Nothing to hand so no problem (I thought) set up the tripod and use
    > self timer on my compact digital camera.
    >
    > So tried this but!!!
    >
    > Wanted two lots of shots one with me wearing dark suit and one with
    > lighter suit but following issues arose:
    >
    > What is best background for each?
    > I am struggling to get far enough from wall so as not to have dark
    > shadow around my head. Camera has fixed and built in flash so can't
    > bounce off anywhere?
    > Do I use Multi Pattern or Centre Weighted focus both are not behaving
    > and I am getting many 'out of focus' shots?

    I dont think it will really matter that much for a photo like this.

    > Do I put lights on high at ceiling, desk and floor standing or just
    > rely on flash?

    I'd try both. If you are just using the built in flash, try creating a
    poor-man's bounce flash by taping a bit of index card in front of the
    flash so that it bounces the flash up to the ceiling.

    You could also try creating a diffuser by taping a bit of dryer sheet
    over the flash. Depending on the sheet this can affect the color of the
    resulting photo. That may or may not matter depending on how the paper
    will use the photo.

    If you are using lights. Try using at least 2 sources. One to light you
    and one to light the background. This will prevent shadows.

    > Do I use normal or telephoto setting.

    This will depend on the lighting. If you are using a flash, it's
    probably best to move the tripod (you've got one of those right?) as far
    back as possible and zoom in.

    > Any tips of how to make myself smile OK without looking like a
    > grinning clown.

    Best advice is to take a lot of photos. As for your expression it
    depends on what you are. If you are a stand up commedian, a big goofy
    grin is appopriate. For most folks, the look you are going for is
    "interested". Act like someone just said something really interesting.
    It opens up your face, reduces shadows and wrinkles, and just looks
    better.

    Try a couple of shots with a slight smile too. The results might just
    surprise you.

    Tony Rice, Jan 16, 2004
  10. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Thanks Tony

    Some good tips.

    Not a stand up comedian but my smile can look like one if I am not careful.

    I am in business so need a serious but smiling and interested look.

    Well this afternoon we will have a go.

    Phil

    Phil, Jan 17, 2004