"Self-Paced Training Kit" - 3rd printing errata?

Discussion in 'MCTS' started by Zimri, Mar 25, 2007.

  1. Zimri

    Zimri Guest

    Hey all,

    (Preliminary vent: I am posting from Google because AT&T haven't yet
    freed up microsoft.public.cert.itpro.mcts or
    microsoft.public.cert.developer.mcpd, and because AT&T's help-desk
    software crashed when I tried asking them to do it. If AT&T keep up
    this silliness then I will be switching to cable.)

    I got the two MCPs in VB6 back in 2001. After waiting for .NET to
    shake itself out and for the exams to get cleared up, I am now going
    for MCTS in .NET 2 (probably C# ultimately). Back in the (VB6) day, I
    used "In A Nutshell" and Hawhee. I am also told that Amit Kalani has
    done excellent work in the .NET age. But none of these books are
    available for .NET 2.

    What is available is the Northrup / Wildermuth / Ryan "Microsoft .NET
    Framework 2.0 Application Development Foundation Self-Paced Training
    Kit". I spent $75 on this particular tome despite certain of the
    comments from the reviews on the 'Web, despite its first printing's
    awe-inspiring errata "page" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923018/en-
    us), and despite Mr Ryan's own blog wherein he apologises for said
    errata page (http://msmvps.com/blogs/williamryan/archive/
    2006/07/05/103856.aspx).

    The copyright page's number line runs "3 4 5 6" etc and so I surmise
    that this is the third printing. I already see that it has
    incorporated much of the errata.

    I tried going to Mr Ryan's link http://msmvps.com/blogs/williamryan/articles/103750.aspx
    but it tossed to me a disconcerting exception message "It probably has
    something to do with .NET or SQL and the owner of this blog is pretty
    clueless when it comes to those." Gulp.

    My question is: what do I need to watch out for in this (3rd)
    printing? Would those errata - or simple clarifications & appendices -
    be listed in Microsoft's site, at Mr Ryan's site, or elsewhere?

    Thank you
    -- Zimri
    Zimri, Mar 25, 2007