Self made recovery DVD?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenny, Jul 4, 2006.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Recently bought an Advent notebook which does not have recovery media
    supplied but an inbuilt utility for making your own which I've done, after
    installing AV, firewall and a few other things but it only let's one use of
    it!
    Curious as to whether this utility has also backed up these added extras as
    well similar to True Image etc.? Have looked Advent support site but
    couldn't find the answer to this one.
    Is there any way of cheating this utility to get more than one use of it or
    should I install something like True Image?
    Alternatively I already have True Image on main PC which is wirelessly
    connected via router to notebook. Can I run it from there to make a disk
    image of the notebook?
    There is also a 4.75GB FAT32 recovery partition on HDD.
    If I use True Image could I make this usable space?
    Sorry if this is a bit long winded but would apreciate any advice or
    suggestions.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Jul 4, 2006

  2. Kenny

    Vanguard Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > Recently bought an Advent notebook which does not have recovery
    > media supplied but an inbuilt utility for making your own which I've
    > done, after installing AV, firewall and a few other things but it
    > only let's one use of it!
    > Curious as to whether this utility has also backed up these added
    > extras as well similar to True Image etc.? Have looked Advent
    > support site but couldn't find the answer to this one.
    > Is there any way of cheating this utility to get more than one use
    > of it or should I install something like True Image?
    > Alternatively I already have True Image on main PC which is
    > wirelessly connected via router to notebook. Can I run it from
    > there to make a disk image of the notebook?
    > There is also a 4.75GB FAT32 recovery partition on HDD.
    > If I use True Image could I make this usable space?
    > Sorry if this is a bit long winded but would apreciate any advice or
    > suggestions.

    It is very likely that the Advent "utility" simply saves a
    pre-recorded image (from a file or partition) onto the CD-R[W] so that
    is the image you get when you restore. It is unlikely that it saves
    an image of the current state of your hard drive(s). You will lose
    everything when you restore using that type of restore CD and be back
    to what the host looked like when you first got it. The blurb at
    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/4480.htm (you never
    mentioned YOUR model) indicates that you can do an in-place upgrade or
    repair of the Windows OS without losing other setup. So you can get
    the OS working again but the utility is not for saving images of the
    current state of the hard drive(s). The manual that came with your
    laptop doesn't describe this "utility"?

    You sure the Advent utility for making recovery media isn't reading
    from a hidden partition (or using an image file)? Many of those
    "restore" utilities that create a CD simply read an image file, often
    in its own partition, that is then used to lay that image atop the OS
    partition on the hard drive. That wipes everything out on the OS
    partition and brings you back to the same state as when you bought the
    computer. So all your applications, configuration, and data on that
    partition are lost because an image is laid atop that partition.
    Since you have True Image, you can do all your application installs,
    configurations, tweaking, and data file saves and then save an image
    to use for restoration. However, the image you create on one host
    cannot be used on any other host unless the hardware is [nearly]
    identical.

    The Acronis license probably lets you use the personal version on just
    one computer. Which version do you have? Home or Workstation
    version? Or do you have the Server or Enterprise version? Read the
    license for whatever version you happen to have. The reason the
    personal or Home version(s) are cheaper is that they don't include
    server-based backups for remote/client hosts and other enterprise
    features. They also expect you to use it on one host and not go
    installing it on multitudes of hosts everywhere. You didn't buy a
    site license. You just bought a personal-use, one-host license.

    With the Server versions of True Image, a client needs to be installed
    on the hosts to be backed up to send the data back to the server to be
    recorded. I suppose they could read through the networked drives or
    shared resources but that would be a logical file backup and not a
    partition/drive image. Something has to be on the host to which the
    server can communicate. If you are using a personal version, it
    installs on just the one host and that is the only host you get to
    image using that license. While you can save the image to a neworked
    drive or restore from an image file on a networked drive, there is
    nothing running on the remote host to read its disks to send back the
    data for your instance of TrueImage to save. You will need another
    legit copy of TrueImage Home on each of your hosts; i.e., you'll need
    to buy another copy for your laptop. Again, read the license. They
    may permit more than one host on which you can install their personal
    version but, at just $25 apiece, I doubt it.

    Look at the license for True Image. It probably says that you get to
    use it on only one host. You currently have it installed on your
    desktop. The license may permit (or simply not restrict) you from
    uninstalling their software from one host and installing on another.
    That is, you can move it around as long as it is installed on only one
    host at a time. However, because its install CD is probably bootable
    so it can be used as a standalone product (i.e., it's not installed on
    the host), the license may restrict you to using it on only one host.
    Otherwise, a small company would buy just one copy of their product
    and go walking around to each host to boot from its CD to save images
    of each. If you don't buy their server version, or you don't buy
    "seats" for each host (by buying multiple or volume licenses), they
    probably want you to buy a license for EACH host on which you use the
    personal version. With the Home version, you are buying just one
    license to use on one host.

    Vanguard, Jul 4, 2006

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks for the detailed reply.
    The Advent model is 7096, 331 series.
    Have since discovered that as well a the PC World support here:
    http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/Layout.aspx?ID={83fc02db-cfe2-4a17-b721-6293437d63f4}&CatID={7eb8e27d-3b7c-45e0-bfb3-6886b4584728}
    I can also get drivers/BIOS/manual from ECS who actually make Advent here:
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downlo...lName=Driver&DetailDesc=331&MenuID=71&LanID=9
    Have also found an unofficial Advent forum which I have subscribed to here:.
    http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/.
    There is as I said a 4.7GB, hidden to Explorer, partition but it can be seen
    in Disk Management.
    Like you said that's likely where the DVD image is being taken from but why
    can't I make more than one copy, that seems unnecessarily restrictive to me.
    What I haven't as yet tried is making a copy of the DVD restore disc I have
    made already, I hope they haven't put some sort of protection on that as
    well.
    As for True Image I only know it's Version 9, build 2.245, I haven't used it
    much but will look at it in more detail to see what I can do with it.
    Thanks again for your input.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    "Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs."

    Kenny, Jul 4, 2006
  4. Kenny

    ProfGene Guest

    Vanguard wrote:
> [...]

    > desktop. The license may permit (or simply not restrict) you from
    > uninstalling their software from one host and installing on another.
    > That is, you can move it around as long as it is installed on only one
    > host at a time. However, because its install CD is probably bootable so
    > it can be used as a standalone product (i.e., it's not installed on the
    > host), the license may restrict you to using it on only one host.
    > Otherwise, a small company would buy just one copy of their product and
    > go walking around to each host to boot from its CD to save images of
    > each. If you don't buy their server version, or you don't buy "seats"
    > for each host (by buying multiple or volume licenses), they probably
    > want you to buy a license for EACH host on which you use the personal
    > version. With the Home version, you are buying just one license to use

    You should be supplied with a backup of your systems for a laptop or a
    desktop even hidden partitions are not good. I have an HP with a hidden
    partition and there was a class action law suit to make them supply the
    owners with back cds. I think that is only right and making your own
    backup with only one usage is fraudulant arrogance.

    ProfGene, Jul 8, 2006