Self installing Drives

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by doc, Mar 15, 2010.

  1. doc

    doc Guest

    This is going to be a bit long. Last month I bought a new HP computer with
    Windows7 64 bits. I uninstalled the Norton antivirus that came with it, and
    used the Norton Removal Tool to clean any thing left over, if any. I have
    Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall ON.
    I have not installed any programs in the computer. I have 2 flash DRIVES (J
    and K) where I keep my files. Every thing has been working just fine until 4
    days ago. I turned my computer on , clicked the J drive and a small screen
    came on telling me to insert the disk, but it was already inserted. I then
    noticed in my desktop that I had 2 new drives: L and D. I went to start,
    computer and there was those two extra drives. I clicked on the L and all my
    files that I had on the drive J were now on the L. The drive D had a label
    Factory -Image. I assume it is a recovery drive (10 GB).
    Question: how come these drives were installed and changed all by
    themselves.
    Also, since 4 days ago when I boot the computer, as soon as the desktop
    shows up, I get a loud dum dum dum and about 10 seconds late another dum dum
    dum. It repeats 5 times and stops. It happens every time I start the
    computer. There is nothing in the desktop in the way of warning etc.
    I went to sys, system configuration, start up but cannot see anything that
    looks "funny".
    Question: any one knows what is going on? Has anyone had similar experience?
    Thanks for any info.
    Doc

    doc, Mar 15, 2010

  2. There are any number of things that could have been responsible for what
    happened. Any computer bought from the major vendors, like HP, has tons
    of bloatware on the system and it's anyone's guess as to what they will
    do. Since the system is under HP's warranty your best solution is to
    take it back to them and ask them what is going on.

    Bobby Johnson, Mar 15, 2010

  3. doc

    James Kosin Guest

    On 3/15/2010 1:25 PM, doc wrote:
    > This is going to be a bit long. Last month I bought a new HP computer
    > with Windows7 64 bits. I uninstalled the Norton antivirus that came with
    > it, and used the Norton Removal Tool to clean any thing left over, if
    > any. I have Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall ON.
    > I have not installed any programs in the computer. I have 2 flash DRIVES
    > (J and K) where I keep my files. Every thing has been working just fine
    > until 4 days ago. I turned my computer on , clicked the J drive and a
    > small screen came on telling me to insert the disk, but it was already
    > inserted. I then noticed in my desktop that I had 2 new drives: L and D.
    > I went to start, computer and there was those two extra drives. I
    > clicked on the L and all my files that I had on the drive J were now on
    > the L. The drive D had a label Factory -Image. I assume it is a recovery
    > drive (10 GB).
    > Question: how come these drives were installed and changed all by
    > themselves.
    > Also, since 4 days ago when I boot the computer, as soon as the desktop
    > shows up, I get a loud dum dum dum and about 10 seconds late another dum
    > dum dum. It repeats 5 times and stops. It happens every time I start the
    > computer. There is nothing in the desktop in the way of warning etc.
    > I went to sys, system configuration, start up but cannot see anything
    > that looks "funny".
    > Question: any one knows what is going on? Has anyone had similar
    > experience?
    > Thanks for any info.
    > Doc

    Doc,

    The relabeling of the drives sometimes happen when you attach to a
    different USB port.

    James

    James Kosin, Mar 15, 2010
  4. doc

    doc Guest

    "James Kosin" <> wrote in message
    > On 3/15/2010 1:25 PM, doc wrote:
    >> This is going to be a bit long. Last month I bought a new HP computer
    >> with Windows7 64 bits. I uninstalled the Norton antivirus that came with
    >> it, and used the Norton Removal Tool to clean any thing left over, if
    >> any. I have Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall ON.
    >> I have not installed any programs in the computer. I have 2 flash DRIVES
    >> (J and K) where I keep my files. Every thing has been working just fine
    >> until 4 days ago. I turned my computer on , clicked the J drive and a
    >> small screen came on telling me to insert the disk, but it was already
    >> inserted. I then noticed in my desktop that I had 2 new drives: L and D.
    >> I went to start, computer and there was those two extra drives. I
    >> clicked on the L and all my files that I had on the drive J were now on
    >> the L. The drive D had a label Factory -Image. I assume it is a recovery
    >> drive (10 GB).
    >> Question: how come these drives were installed and changed all by
    >> themselves.
    >> Also, since 4 days ago when I boot the computer, as soon as the desktop
    >> shows up, I get a loud dum dum dum and about 10 seconds late another dum
    >> dum dum. It repeats 5 times and stops. It happens every time I start the
    >> computer. There is nothing in the desktop in the way of warning etc.
    >> I went to sys, system configuration, start up but cannot see anything
    >> that looks "funny".
    >> Question: any one knows what is going on? Has anyone had similar
    >> experience?
    >> Thanks for any info.
    >> Doc

    > Doc,
    >
    > The relabeling of the drives sometimes happen when you attach to a
    > different USB port.
    >
    > James

    Yes, I know. However, in this case I did not change the ports.
    Doc

    doc, Mar 15, 2010
  5. Soma flash drive manufacturers deliver their drives with additional
    software on it.
    Have a look at their website for information.
    jk

    Juergen Kluth, Mar 15, 2010
  6. doc

    Carlos Guest

    doc,
    Try System Restore and take your system, say, 5 days back in time.
    That should fix it.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 15, 2010