self directed study

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Mark C, Jul 17, 2008.

  1. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    I've recently over the last few months, started a self paced training kit to
    get an MCDST certification, literally so I can get my foot in the door.

    I've got a great understanding of windows, and could... 'probably' go out
    and take the test without issue, but I'm finding it rather strange looking
    at the Books (Done by new technologies) and then finding questions on their
    'ceritification simulator' which, seem totally irrelevant to the subjects in
    the book. Not only that, but they dont even seem to be linked in.

    I've been told that the cram sheets are an exelent way to study, as
    effectivley, you need enough information to pass the test, as in the real
    world, your likley to find a unique user base,that probably wont touch on
    half of the MCDST course material... (I find that difficult to believe)

    I've also got the video training done by that Microsoft Guy in the pink
    shirt.... I forget his name.. seems good, but the Video CD seems to only
    give a rough skim of what I need to know compared to the level of detail
    covered in the books.
    e.g. On the Video training, he explains, you wont need to do a remote
    installation of Windows XP so theres no need to cover it

    Yet the books explain it's neccesary and give a full breakdown of how to do
    it.

    This is confusing the heck out of me. Last thing I want to do is overstudy
    or study for things I don't need.
    Can anyone provide any usefull information or hints for self directed study?

    Mark C, Jul 17, 2008

  2. Mark C

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Mark C" <> prattled ceaselessly in

    > I've recently over the last few months, started a self paced training
    > kit to get an MCDST certification, literally so I can get my foot in
    > the door.
    >
    > I've got a great understanding of windows, and could... 'probably' go
    > out and take the test without issue, but I'm finding it rather strange
    > looking at the Books (Done by new technologies) and then finding
    > questions on their 'ceritification simulator' which, seem totally
    > irrelevant to the subjects in the book. Not only that, but they dont
    > even seem to be linked in.
    >
    > I've been told that the cram sheets are an exelent way to study, as
    > effectivley, you need enough information to pass the test, as in the
    > real world, your likley to find a unique user base,that probably wont
    > touch on half of the MCDST course material... (I find that difficult
    > to believe)
    >
    > I've also got the video training done by that Microsoft Guy in the
    > pink shirt.... I forget his name.. seems good, but the Video CD seems
    > to only give a rough skim of what I need to know compared to the level
    > of detail covered in the books.
    > e.g. On the Video training, he explains, you wont need to do a remote
    > installation of Windows XP so theres no need to cover it
    >
    > Yet the books explain it's neccesary and give a full breakdown of how
    > to do it.
    >
    > This is confusing the heck out of me. Last thing I want to do is
    > overstudy or study for things I don't need.
    > Can anyone provide any usefull information or hints for self directed
    > study?

    Take a thorough gander at the exam objectives on MS Learning. Make sure
    you understand all of them. The best way to understand is by using the
    software. Reading is fine but it doesn't come close to experience. When
    you know those objectives, you're ready for the exam.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Jul 17, 2008

  3. "Mark C" <> wrote in message

    > I've also got the video training done by that Microsoft Guy in the pink
    > shirt.... I forget his name.

    What?!?

    Listen to what Catwalker said. Another thing: Don't use certifications
    to get your foot in the door. It will get broken. You shouldn't have to
    force your way through. Employers will gladly open the door to those who
    are proficient.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, A+
    The I.T. Classroom Blog - http://www.theitclassroom.com

    Michael D. Alligood, Jul 17, 2008
  4. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    I'm not sure what it's like for you, but I've no prior experience, and
    absolutley noone is willing to interview
    Even jobs advertised as "junior" always ask for experience, even on the
    lowest possible pay grade, they all want someone experienced.

    I'm having the worst time ever in the UK trying to get in, and I've been
    applying for over a year, but every single one says "We've gone for someone
    with more experience" . It's easy to say "your looking at the wrong jobs"
    but I'm looking at 1st line helpdesk,Junior,even jobs advertised as
    "starter" jobs, and they all ask for experience.

    Thats the trouble in the Uk. noone seems to be willing to accept anyone
    without experience, no matter how proficiant they are, But they dont seem to
    realise that we want in and want to get experience.... Overa year, and
    somewhere in the region of 45 applications... It's absolutley killing me.
    and I agree, there is no substitute for experience. I just cant even seem to
    get any. I've even written to charities, asking for one day a week working
    alongside someone, for free, to gain experience. Noone wants to know.

    Mark C, Jul 18, 2008
  5. "Mark C" <> wrote in message

    > I'm not sure what it's like for you, but I've no prior experience, and
    > absolutley noone is willing to interview
    > Even jobs advertised as "junior" always ask for experience, even on the
    > lowest possible pay grade, they all want someone experienced.
    >
    > I'm having the worst time ever in the UK trying to get in, and I've been
    > applying for over a year, but every single one says "We've gone for someone
    > with more experience" . It's easy to say "your looking at the wrong jobs"
    > but I'm looking at 1st line helpdesk,Junior,even jobs advertised as
    > "starter" jobs, and they all ask for experience.
    >
    > Thats the trouble in the Uk. noone seems to be willing to accept anyone
    > without experience, no matter how proficiant they are, But they dont seem to
    > realise that we want in and want to get experience.... Overa year, and
    > somewhere in the region of 45 applications... It's absolutley killing me.
    > and I agree, there is no substitute for experience. I just cant even seem to
    > get any. I've even written to charities, asking for one day a week working
    > alongside someone, for free, to gain experience. Noone wants to know.

    One cannot be proficient without experience. It is the sum of experience
    and knowledge that make up proficiency. Do not confuse the differences.
    Knowledge is knowing how to build a house. Experience tells us not to
    build it on sand. Knowing the two makes you a proficient home builder.
    Knowledge comes from books, the Internet, conversations. Knowledge can
    come in many different forms - as well as experience. It can be as
    obvious or disguised. But it's up to you to recognize and take it. Then
    it is up to you to sell it. Sell yourself to potential employers. You
    are not seeing results because you have nothing to sell. Don't think
    certifications are a free pass to employment. They are not.

    Michael D. Alligood, Jul 18, 2008
  6. Mark C

    Matt R Guest

    As for the Microsoft Self-Paced books, they provide a pretty good idea of
    what you should know and learn to prepare for the tests. The Simulator CDs
    they come with are pretty worthless. like you said, most of what is on those
    practice tests are not in the books, and definately were not on the test
    when I took it. Just make sure you learn all of the objectives, specifically
    Internet options and Outlook stuff.

    Matt R, Jul 18, 2008
  7. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    That sounds about right to what I've heard, so shouldnt be long untill I
    take the test
    Do you know if microsoft sends out past papers, like what was on the test
    for last year etc?

    Do you have any suggestions on getting into the IT industry in the UK? I've
    been primarily looking at first line helpdesk roles etc, do you have any
    other sugestions as it seems impossible to break into the IT industry
    otherwise

    Thanks

    Mark C, Jul 23, 2008
  8. Mark C

    > That sounds about right to what I've heard, so shouldnt be long until
    > I take the test
    >
    > Do you know if microsoft sends out past papers, like what was on the
    > test for last year etc?
    >
    > Do you have any suggestions on getting into the IT industry in the UK?
    > I've been primarily looking at first line helpdesk roles etc, do you
    > have any other sugestions as it seems impossible to break into the IT
    > industry otherwise

    The only thing MS tells you about what is on the test is in the
    Objectives. They don't publish exam questions and they will litigate
    against anyone who does.

    As for "breaking" into the IT industry, like any other profession, you
    work your way up and pay your dues. You may have to do work for little
    or no money initially to get experience (volunteer, setup your own lab,
    fix friends and family computers). It's not impossible, but it is hard
    work. Certifications are fine but don't expect them to get you a job.
    The more experience you have, the more employable you are, so that is
    your hourly, daily, monthly goal: getting experience.

    catwalker63, Jul 30, 2008
  9. Mark C

    Beth Guest

    I agree with you mark, I can't even get an interview as a secretary in a tech
    company. I gave up!

    Beth, Oct 12, 2008