    message about not being able to add to DOS environment at login time and
    we think it's because of these registry entries.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Nov 5, 2004

  2. Steve Freides

    Pennywise Guest

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:23:45 -0500, "Steve Freides"
    <> wrote:

    |>XP/Pro.
    |>
    |>HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Volatile Environment
    |>
    |>Go to the menus and pick Edit, Permissions
    |>
    |>Add Full Control and Read for Administrators
    |>
    |>Add Full Control and Read for SYSTEM
    |>
    |>Exist Registry editor, re-enter Registry editor, setting remain, but
    |>reboot machine, setting have gone, permissions are unchecked - thoughts
    |>on why? Machine has Netware client, Netware client display error
    |>message about not being able to add to DOS environment at login time and
    |>we think it's because of these registry entries.

    Sounds like your fighting watcher threads (lack of a better
    description), Haven't heard of problems with them since NT, when
    hacking a Workstation to a Server. Watcher threads watch certain reg
    values and change them back.

    http://tinyurl.com/6epmn
    "Since the release of NT4, Microsoft has taken measures to keep the
    user from changing these registry values. The operating system has two
    watcher threads that revert any changes made to these two registry
    settings, as well as warn the user about "tampering"."

    If you are indeed fighting watcher threads you might catch them at
    work with regmon http://tinyurl.com/jig2

    Pennywise, Nov 5, 2004

  3. In article <> Pennywise <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:23:45 -0500, "Steve Freides"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >|>XP/Pro.
    >|>
    >|>HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Volatile Environment
    >|>
    >|>Go to the menus and pick Edit, Permissions
    >|>
    >|>Add Full Control and Read for Administrators
    >|>
    >|>Add Full Control and Read for SYSTEM
    >|>
    >|>Exist Registry editor, re-enter Registry editor, setting remain, but
    >|>reboot machine, setting have gone, permissions are unchecked - thoughts
    >|>on why? Machine has Netware client, Netware client display error
    >|>message about not being able to add to DOS environment at login time and
    >|>we think it's because of these registry entries.
    >
    >Sounds like your fighting watcher threads (lack of a better
    >description), Haven't heard of problems with them since NT, when
    >hacking a Workstation to a Server. Watcher threads watch certain reg
    >values and change them back.

    Names are easier to change than bad habits. And you are no execption
    to the rule.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Lady Chattlerly must be posting from the mensa group. That post went
    way over my head too." -- la n.

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 6, 2004
  4. Steve Freides

    Fred Guest

    Lady Chatterly <> wrote:

    > Names are easier to change than bad habits.

    I have a bad habit of singing out loud.

    > And you are no execption to the rule.

    I doubt it. Can you prove that?

    Fred, Nov 6, 2004