    intenet access through our router, but dont want to see our shared folders.
    Can this be done without setting up a domain, which I want to avoid if
    possible.
    =?Utf-8?B?SlAgQXBvbGxv?=, Oct 11, 2005

  2. Think about using ftp for this, its relatively easy to set up and allows
    you total control over who has access to any directories etc

    for a good server and client try

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

    hth

    philip ashley

    Philip Ashley, Oct 11, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SlAgQXBvbGxv?=

    Malke Guest

    JP Apollo wrote:

    > I have three desktop and one laptop all running xp pro, belonging to a
    > workgroup and accessing the internet through my dlink wireless router.
    > I want to set up file sharing permissions on some of the folders in
    > one computer, so they can be accessed by some, but not all, of the
    > other computers.
    > This is particularly important because we sometimes have guests who we
    > allow intenet access through our router, but dont want to see our
    > shared folders. Can this be done without setting up a domain, which I
    > want to avoid if possible.

    Certainly, since you have Pro. The file systems must all be NTFS and
    Simple Sharing must be disabled (Folder Options>View). Create a new
    user group and call it something pertaining to the folders
    ("Marketing", "Sales", etc. - whatever works for your company). Now
    assign users to that group, not forgetting to include yourself and
    Administrator. Set permissions on the folders so they can only be
    accessed by users in the new user group.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com