    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/drive%20in%20the%20park.jpg>

    --
    PeterN

    peternew, Jun 26, 2013

  2. peternew

    peternew Guest

    On 6/25/2013 8:24 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-25 16:47:47 -0700, peternew <> said:
    >

    >> Too this shot. I thought the hood was brass, but is is contaminated by
    >> the reddish reflections from the fenders.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/drive%20in%20the%20park.jpg>
    >>

    > Actually the hood is copper not brass. So the color is pretty much
    > correct with the exception of a slight reflection from the fender. The
    > radiator, hood hinges, headlights, horn, and brake levers are brass.

    Thanks, I wasn't sure whether to play with it, or not.
    I have to admit that i don't even know the make and year of the car. To
    me it's just a beautiful car.

    --
    PeterN

    peternew, Jun 26, 2013

  3. peternew

    peternew Guest

    On 6/25/2013 9:24 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-25 17:58:14 -0700, peternew <> said:

    >>> Actually the hood is copper not brass. So the color is pretty much
    >>> correct with the exception of a slight reflection from the fender. The
    >>> radiator, hood hinges, headlights, horn, and brake levers are brass.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, I wasn't sure whether to play with it, or not.
    >> I have to admit that i don't even know the make and year of the car.
    >> To me it's just a beautiful car.

    > That looks to be a 1908-1910 Ford Model T Touring car. That particular
    > car was one of the "brass era" touring cars which did not have doors.
    > Three doors were added to the Touring car in 1911, and the driver only
    > got a door in 1915.
    >
    > The brass as shown is all good and authentic. However, the copper hood
    > and brass hood hinges are probably custom option, or a non-authentic
    > restoration option.

    thanks.
    I was talking with the owner of an old Ford, that had no windshield. He
    said he electrified the original acetylene lamps for safety reasons.
    He was telling me that he paid under $18,000 for the car. It would be
    fun to have one, but............

    --
    PeterN

    peternew, Jun 26, 2013
  4. peternew wrote:

    > Too this shot. I thought the hood was brass, but is is contaminated by
    > the reddish reflections from the fenders.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >

    > <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/drive%20in%20the%20park.jpg>

    I like it as is. Don't see any reason to mess with it.

    Paul in Houston TX, Jun 26, 2013
  5. peternew

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 20:54:17 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
    <> wrote:

    >peternew wrote:
    >>
    >> Too this shot. I thought the hood was brass, but is is contaminated by
    >> the reddish reflections from the fenders.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/drive%20in%20the%20park.jpg>
    >>

    >I like it as is. Don't see any reason to mess with it.

    Sometimes you should accept what it there, not what you would like to
    be there. When Peter saw that car in the park, I'm sure the same
    reflections were on the car's hood. The camera captured what is
    there.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jun 26, 2013
  6. peternew

    peternew Guest

    On 6/25/2013 10:09 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 20:54:17 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> peternew wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Too this shot. I thought the hood was brass, but is is contaminated by
    >>> the reddish reflections from the fenders.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/drive%20in%20the%20park.jpg>
    >>>

    >> I like it as is. Don't see any reason to mess with it.

    > Sometimes you should accept what it there, not what you would like to
    > be there. When Peter saw that car in the park, I'm sure the same
    > reflections were on the car's hood. The camera captured what is
    > there.

    Yeah! you're right, but you know by now I am somewhat of a believer in
    Goethe.

    --
    PeterN

    peternew, Jun 26, 2013
  7. peternew

    Sandman Guest

    In article <2013062518242833169-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > > Thanks, I wasn't sure whether to play with it, or not.
    > > I have to admit that i don't even know the make and year of the car. To
    > > me it's just a beautiful car.

    > That looks to be a 1908-1910 Ford Model T Touring car.

    It does look similar, yes, but the hood is way too long and curved
    rather than blocky. Plus the front fender is arched in the wrong angle
    for that model year.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Jun 26, 2013
  8. peternew

    Sandman Guest

    In article <2013062518351117709-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > > The brass as shown is all good and authentic. However, the copper hood
    > > and brass hood hinges are probably custom option, or a non-authentic
    > > restoration option.

    > On further examination the hood seemed longer than you would find on a
    > 1908-1910 Model T.
    > I did a little more checking and now I would have to ID it as a 1904
    > Mercedes-Benz Simplex Touring car.

    I doubt it, the simplex had free floating fenders that followed the
    wheels more closely, and the front fenders went straight down behind the
    wheel.

    Plus, the Simplex roof was for the rear passangers only, not a complete
    soft top.

    The Model T is the best match, still, but some discrepancies are there.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Jun 26, 2013
  9. peternew

    Noons Guest

    On 26/06/2013 11:54 AM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

    >> Too this shot. I thought the hood was brass, but is is contaminated by
    >> the reddish reflections from the fenders.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/drive%20in%20the%20park.jpg>
    >>

    > I like it as is. Don't see any reason to mess with it.

    You heathen! What next? Realistic photos?
    Next you're gonna suggest he uses GIMP instead of Photoshop?
    Communist!

    Noons, Jun 26, 2013
  10. "peternew" wrote
    Too this shot. I thought the hood was brass, but is is contaminated by
    the reddish reflections from the fenders.

    Any suggestions?

    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/drive%20in%20the%20park.jpg>

    --
    PeterN

    Five minutes with photoshop, hue/saturation adjustment and a color
    layer.

    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/amvvaflqsre93a0/FhUhuRHX_m

    Chris

    Chris Pisarra, Jun 27, 2013
  11. peternew

    Guest

    On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:36:06 AM UTC+1, peterN wrote:

    > thanks.
    > I was talking with the owner of an old Ford, that had no windshield. He
    > said he electrified the original acetylene lamps for safety reasons.
    > He was telling me that he paid under $18,000 for the car. It would be
    > fun to have one, but............

    The main problem is the amount of ongoing maintenance required, and the cost of it. Cars of that era were highly unreliable. Then there's the sad reality that they're death traps.

    NT

    , Jun 27, 2013
  12. Chris Pisarra, Jun 27, 2013
  13. peternew

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/27/2013 6:49 PM, Chris Pisarra wrote:
    > Let's try again--with the right link.
    >
    > https://www.dropbox.com/s/zogilel7efs9jzr/drive2.jpg
    >
    > That should look better.
    >
    > Chris

    Thanks,
    To me, the whitewall tires have a greenish cast, that could be a
    reflection of thr grass.

    OTOH removal of magenta could also have attenuated the greenish cast.
    If the NEF file is wanted to play, let me know.

    PeterN, Jun 28, 2013
  14. peternew

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/27/2013 10:22 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-27 18:49:31 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 6/27/2013 6:49 PM, Chris Pisarra wrote:
    >>> Let's try again--with the right link.
    >>>
    >>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zogilel7efs9jzr/drive2.jpg
    >>>
    >>> That should look better.
    >>>
    >>> Chris
    >>>

    >> Thanks,
    >> To me, the whitewall tires have a greenish cast, that could be a
    >> reflection of thr grass.
    >>
    >> OTOH removal of magenta could also have attenuated the greenish cast.
    >> If the NEF file is wanted to play, let me know.

    > You know better than to make an offer such as that. ;-)
    >
    > Send the NEF, the 'Duck would like to play.

    It may not be the same as I posted but close emough
    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC4753_4143.NEF>

    If I had storage space, and lieved in San Diego, I would have bought
    this, for about $16,000.
    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC4742_4133.NEF>

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 28, 2013
  15. peternew

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 07:40:10 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-06-28 06:28:29 -0700, PeterN <> said:

    >>> You know better than to make an offer such as that. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Send the NEF, the 'Duck would like to play.

    >> It may not be the same as I posted but close emough
    >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC4753_4143.NEF>
    >>
    >> If I had storage space, and lieved in San Diego, I would have bought
    >> this, for about $16,000.
    >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC4742_4133.NEF>

    >Try this for size.
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC4753_4143w.jpg >

    Why have you left the lawn chair and cooler at the right? If you are
    going to doctor it up, go all the way.

    I'm also slightly put off by the spare tires. They seem far too black
    to me. The black parts of the on-wheel tires are not that black. I
    don't remember if they were that black in the first-presented .jpg
    image.

    I've reserved comment on this image because it's a mixed bag for me.
    It's a very sharp, well-exposed photograph of a beautiful vehicle in a
    great setting. It's the kind of photograph you see on a calendar or a
    glossy car magazine. (Hence the need to remove the lawn chair and
    cooler)

    At the same time it's static. I would say that it doesn't have
    character, but it's hard to say a car of that vintage is without
    character. It seems to have the most interest in this group for the
    perceived flaws: the hood color and the greenish cast to the tires.
    (Both flaws have been improved since the original appearance)
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jun 28, 2013
  16. peternew

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:19:40 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-06-28 08:48:47 -0700, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 07:40:10 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Try this for size.
    >>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC4753_4143w.jpg >

    >> Why have you left the lawn chair and cooler at the right? If you are
    >> going to doctor it up, go all the way.

    >OK! OK! My mind was on adjustment not crop or object removal, but just
    >for you, here is a version with the picnic stuff removed , and one
    >where it is excluded via crop.
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC4753_4143CEw.jpg >
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC4753_4143Cw.jpg >
    >
    >> I'm also slightly put off by the spare tires. They seem far too black
    >> to me. The black parts of the on-wheel tires are not that black. I
    >> don't remember if they were that black in the first-presented .jpg
    >> image.

    >The spare tires and the tires on the wheels are completely different.

    Yeah, and that's what I'm noticing. Note the color of the black part
    of the whitewall tires compared to the color of the spares.

    >White walls on the wheels, not so as spares. I am not disturbed by the
    >black tires, they seem to be rendered just fine to me. However if you
    >have further issue with them I would bring that up with the guy behind
    >the wheel.
    >
    >> I've reserved comment on this image because it's a mixed bag for me.
    >> It's a very sharp, well-exposed photograph of a beautiful vehicle in a
    >> great setting.

    >If you took a look at the NEF you might modify that "well-exposed"
    >comment.

    I don't worry about that. If it can be repaired in post, that's what
    we see.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jun 28, 2013
  17. peternew

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/28/2013 11:48 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 07:40:10 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> It may not be the same as I posted but close emough
    >>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC4753_4143.NEF>
    >>>
    >>> If I had storage space, and lieved in San Diego, I would have bought
    >>> this, for about $16,000.
    >>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC4742_4133.NEF>

    >> Try this for size.
    >> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC4753_4143w.jpg >

    > Why have you left the lawn chair and cooler at the right? If you are
    > going to doctor it up, go all the way.
    >
    > I'm also slightly put off by the spare tires. They seem far too black
    > to me. The black parts of the on-wheel tires are not that black. I
    > don't remember if they were that black in the first-presented .jpg
    > image.
    >
    > I've reserved comment on this image because it's a mixed bag for me.
    > It's a very sharp, well-exposed photograph of a beautiful vehicle in a
    > great setting. It's the kind of photograph you see on a calendar or a
    > glossy car magazine. (Hence the need to remove the lawn chair and
    > cooler)
    >
    > At the same time it's static. I would say that it doesn't have
    > character, but it's hard to say a car of that vintage is without
    > character. It seems to have the most interest in this group for the
    > perceived flaws: the hood color and the greenish cast to the tires.
    > (Both flaws have been improved since the original appearance)

    Yes it's just a snapshot. It is primarily interesting to old car lovers,
    and those who like to do Photoshop exercises. If I had shot at a slow
    enough speed the spokes would have blurred, giving an illusion of motion.

    However, I can take a small portion of the car and get something like this:
    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/horn.jpg>

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 28, 2013
  18. peternew

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:40:07 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 6/28/2013 11:48 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >> On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 07:40:10 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Try this for size.
    >>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC4753_4143w.jpg >

    >> Why have you left the lawn chair and cooler at the right? If you are
    >> going to doctor it up, go all the way.
    >>
    >> I'm also slightly put off by the spare tires. They seem far too black
    >> to me. The black parts of the on-wheel tires are not that black. I
    >> don't remember if they were that black in the first-presented .jpg
    >> image.
    >>
    >> I've reserved comment on this image because it's a mixed bag for me.
    >> It's a very sharp, well-exposed photograph of a beautiful vehicle in a
    >> great setting. It's the kind of photograph you see on a calendar or a
    >> glossy car magazine. (Hence the need to remove the lawn chair and
    >> cooler)
    >>
    >> At the same time it's static. I would say that it doesn't have
    >> character, but it's hard to say a car of that vintage is without
    >> character. It seems to have the most interest in this group for the
    >> perceived flaws: the hood color and the greenish cast to the tires.
    >> (Both flaws have been improved since the original appearance)
    >>

    >Yes it's just a snapshot.

    It's much better than that, but I use "snapshot" as a somewhat
    derogatory term.

    > It is primarily interesting to old car lovers,

    It would look good on the wall if you like vintage cars.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 28, 2013
  19. peternew

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/28/2013 5:47 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-28 13:40:07 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 6/28/2013 11:48 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

    >>> Why have you left the lawn chair and cooler at the right? If you are
    >>> going to doctor it up, go all the way.
    >>>
    >>> I'm also slightly put off by the spare tires. They seem far too black
    >>> to me. The black parts of the on-wheel tires are not that black. I
    >>> don't remember if they were that black in the first-presented .jpg
    >>> image.
    >>>
    >>> I've reserved comment on this image because it's a mixed bag for me.
    >>> It's a very sharp, well-exposed photograph of a beautiful vehicle in a
    >>> great setting. It's the kind of photograph you see on a calendar or a
    >>> glossy car magazine. (Hence the need to remove the lawn chair and
    >>> cooler)
    >>>
    >>> At the same time it's static. I would say that it doesn't have
    >>> character, but it's hard to say a car of that vintage is without
    >>> character. It seems to have the most interest in this group for the
    >>> perceived flaws: the hood color and the greenish cast to the tires.
    >>> (Both flaws have been improved since the original appearance)
    >>>

    >> Yes it's just a snapshot. It is primarily interesting to old car
    >> lovers, and those who like to do Photoshop exercises. If I had shot at
    >> a slow enough speed the spokes would have blurred, giving an illusion
    >> of motion.
    >>
    >> However, I can take a small portion of the car and get something like
    >> this:
    >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/horn.jpg>

    > Yup! You would do that. ;-)

    And after a glass, or two of wine:
    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/horn22.jpg>

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 29, 2013
  20. peternew

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/28/2013 8:20 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-25 23:29:52 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
    >
    >> On 2013-06-25 22:31:27 -0700, Sandman <> said:

    >>> I doubt it, the simplex had free floating fenders that followed the
    >>> wheels more closely, and the front fenders went straight down behind the
    >>> wheel.
    >>>
    >>> Plus, the Simplex roof was for the rear passangers only, not a complete
    >>> soft top.
    >>>
    >>> The Model T is the best match, still, but some discrepancies are there.

    >> I also like the Model T, but there are somethings that are just wrong,
    >> especially the length of the hood.
    >> In Peter's capture the spare is in the correct position for the
    >> Mercedes, as are the two control levers on the right.
    >>
    >> I checked some English brass cars because of the righthand drive and
    >> couldn't find a match. As far as French brass goes, there just wasn't
    >> enough brass (those guys used tons of brass between 1904 and 1915).
    >> Pre-WWI Hispano-Suiza all had doors.
    >>
    >> Then I looked at pre-WWI Oldsmobiles some of which were close matches.
    >> Buicks of the same era I discounted as they all had doors.
    >> I had thought Hupmobile, but all those of that period had rear doors
    >> and the spare was positioned further back.
    >>
    >> So I am still left with Model T or Mercedes, with an outside choice of
    >> Oldsmobile.

    > I did some searching through some of my shots, because there was
    > something familiar about the car.
    >
    > I have shots of a 1911 Mercedes Simplex Touring Car taken at the 2009
    > Avila Beach Concours, and I believe found the match to its bloodline.
    > While this one has doors, it has the same full cab roof as shown in
    > Peter's shot. The placement of the spare tires is identical, and
    > importantly the brass lamps are a match. The wheel hubs are not
    > distinct, but are similar enough to be called a match.
    > I believe Peter's car is an earlier model in the 1904-1908 range, and
    > more than likely a Mercedes.
    >
    > Here is the 1911 Mercedes:
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC_2830Ew.jpg >
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC_2824Ew.jpg >

    I guess it's better to have a Mercedes, when you think you have a Ford,
    than the other way around. ;-)
    Lesson, try to find out before the shot, if I really want to know.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 29, 2013