Selection of mail link on web doesn't work with Windows (Vista) Mail

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jon T, Jul 27, 2008.

  1. Jon T

    Jon T Guest

    This situation occurs with both IE and Firefox.

    My OS is Vista Ultimate 64 bit, patch1.

    I am using Vista Mail.

    When I am on the Web and I select a e-mail link, I am not getting a new
    email box.
    I do have my Windows Mail Inbox come to the screen, but a New Mail box with
    the address filled in, from the web site, as expected is not happening.

    I have been through "Set Default Programs" and Windows Mail is selected as
    my default.
    It certainly is possible that there is something in:
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program" or
    Set program access and computer defaults"
    that I am missing.

    But, when I click on a Web Link to email, The Windows (or Vista), Mail
    Inbox just comes up.

    Can you please help let me know what I am doing wrong ??

    Thanks,

    Jon
    Jon T, Jul 27, 2008

  2. Jon T

    Dyndrilliac Guest

    Try going to "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" from
    "Default Programs" as accessed through the Start Menu, and scroll to the
    bottom. Ensure that the "MailTo" protocol is set to Windows Mail.

    Dyndrilliac, Jul 27, 2008

  3. Is Windows Mail running in the background at the time or not?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Jul 28, 2008
  4. "Jon T" <> wrote in message
    > PA Bear,
    >
    > When I click on the email link on the web, Windows Mail comes up !!
    > What should occur is a New Message Box with the TO: already filled out and
    > Sometimes, the Subject filled out.

    That suggests that the file type association for mailto is equivalent
    to a command line for just the program and not the proper one.
    E.g. it could be missing the /mailto:%1 operand.

    Tell us what you see from executing these two commands (in a cmd window):

    assoc mailto
    and
    ftype mailto

    HTH

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Jul 28, 2008
  5. Yes, I know, but you haven't answered my question.

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Jul 28, 2008
  6. It sometimes help to renew the associations. I believe this
    will rewrite the registry entries:
    Open the Default Programs applet, then click on "Set program
    access and computer defaults." Click Custom, and select
    Windows Mail. Click OK.

    --
    Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

    Gary VanderMolen, Jul 28, 2008
  7. Interesting because my 'ftype mailto' has a few differences:

    mailto="C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe" /mailurl:%1

    The fact that my path doesn't use the environmental variable
    %ProgramFiles% should make no difference, but notice the colon
    after your exe, and your quote marks around %1. I don't know
    if any of that makes any difference.

    Gary VanderMolen, Jul 29, 2008
  8. Thank you.

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Jul 29, 2008
  9. Seconded.

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Jul 29, 2008
  10. Jon T

    Dave S. Guest

    RE: Selection of mail link on web doesn't work with Windows (Vista) Ma

    This may or may not be helpful:

    Subject: vista ultimate 64-bit default programs and IE7 default email progr
    10/9/2008 12:16 AM PST

    By: Dave S. In: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

    Dave S., Oct 9, 2008