    camera that supports the same amount of mega pixels?

    Thanks,

    Javier

    Javier, Nov 15, 2006

  2. Javier

    Philippe Guest

    Javier wrote:
    > I'm in the market for a new digital camera and I'm wondering if I could
    > get some opinions on the Canon 6 MP PowerShot S3 IS Digital? My first
    > choice was a Nikon D50 but above my budget. Is there any advantage of
    > using the Cannon S3 over say a smaller (body wise) point-and-shoot
    > camera that supports the same amount of mega pixels?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Javier

    the S3 is a wonderful camera imho.. In that price range (sticking with
    Canon) is also the G7. The main feature of the S3 would be it's 12x
    zoom.. Things to beware on the S3 are higher noise at the 400/800 ISO
    but otherwise I'm quite happy with my selection.

    :)
    P.

    Philippe, Nov 15, 2006

  3. Javier

    Javier Guest

    Thanks Philippe, how would the image quaility compare to the
    point-an-shoot canon cameras? I'm just wondering if there's a
    difference between say a PowerShot 8.0MP Digital Camera A630 other than
    physical size and the fact that the PowerSHot has 8MP.

    Thanks again,

    Javier

    Javier, Nov 15, 2006
  4. Javier

    iws Guest

    "Javier" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Philippe, how would the image quaility compare to the
    > point-an-shoot canon cameras? I'm just wondering if there's a
    > difference between say a PowerShot 8.0MP Digital Camera A630 other than
    > physical size and the fact that the PowerSHot has 8MP.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Javier

    I have the A620, last year's version of the A630/640 line. One feature it
    has that I find very useful (use it about 30-40% of the time) is the
    adjustable flip-out LCD screen. It's great for shooting over the heads of
    people in a crowd and for getting views from low vantage points. It also can
    fold in towards the camera body for protection.

    iws, Nov 15, 2006
  5. Javier

    Philippe Guest

    Javier wrote:
    > Thanks Philippe, how would the image quaility compare to the
    > point-an-shoot canon cameras? I'm just wondering if there's a
    > difference between say a PowerShot 8.0MP Digital Camera A630 other than
    > physical size and the fact that the PowerSHot has 8MP.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Javier
    >

    > Philippe wrote:
    >> Javier wrote:
    >>> I'm in the market for a new digital camera and I'm wondering if I could
    >>> get some opinions on the Canon 6 MP PowerShot S3 IS Digital? My first
    >>> choice was a Nikon D50 but above my budget. Is there any advantage of
    >>> using the Cannon S3 over say a smaller (body wise) point-and-shoot
    >>> camera that supports the same amount of mega pixels?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Javier
    >>>

    >> the S3 is a wonderful camera imho.. In that price range (sticking with
    >> Canon) is also the G7. The main feature of the S3 would be it's 12x
    >> zoom.. Things to beware on the S3 are higher noise at the 400/800 ISO
    >> but otherwise I'm quite happy with my selection.
    >>
    >> :)
    >> P.

    The main differences would be more on the lens/sensor size direction
    than the megapixel count.. At 6mpx, the S3 more than holds it's own.

    These are not the best, but they'll give you an idea of the image quality..

    Here's a pre/post crop.. On the post crop, you can see some
    pixelization(no post processing except for the crop), but overall the
    6mpx perform well.. :p

    Pre: http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5086925
    Post: http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5082640

    Now, all that being said, I've taken some truly HIDEOUS pictures at
    higher ISO.. and I mean BAD... :(
    Still, considering the sensor size, I've got nothing but good things to
    say about the S3.

    HTH
    P.

    Philippe, Nov 15, 2006
  6. Javier wrote:
    > I'm in the market for a new digital camera and I'm wondering if I could
    > get some opinions on the Canon 6 MP PowerShot S3 IS Digital? My first
    > choice was a Nikon D50 but above my budget. Is there any advantage of
    > using the Cannon S3 over say a smaller (body wise) point-and-shoot
    > camera that supports the same amount of mega pixels?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Javier

    See:
    Digital Cameras: Does Pixel Size Matter?
    Factors in Choosing a Digital Camera
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 15, 2006