Selecting Com port for internal modem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JM, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. JM

    JM Guest

    I have a Windows modem, MSP3880SP-W 56K.

    It's fitted in a PCI slot in a MS6178-L motherboard with Ver 2 of the
    BIOS.

    This motherboard has one external Com port, Com 1. It also accepts
    hardware on Com 2 via the PCI slots.

    The modem insists on being installed on Com 3. Then it crashes
    frequently.

    I have access to another machine of identical spec and the modem
    happily installs on Com 2 on this machine and is very stable.

    I've tried re-flashing the BIOS on the dodgy machine and even
    reinstalled Windows.

    Any idea how I can force the modem onto Com 2?

    Win98SE. Celeron 400MHz.
    JM, Oct 18, 2003

  2. JM

    °Mike° Guest

    There is no mention if you have checked for conflicts in
    Device Manager, or if you have tried to set the COM port
    in Control Panel / Modems / Properties / General tab ... Port.

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:31:23 +0100,
    in message <bms4ee$pnqqq$-berlin.de>,
    JM <> scrawled:

    --
    Basic Computer Maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 18, 2003

  3. JM wrote:
    > I have a Windows modem, MSP3880SP-W 56K.
    >
    > It's fitted in a PCI slot in a MS6178-L motherboard with Ver 2 of the
    > BIOS.
    >
    > This motherboard has one external Com port, Com 1. It also accepts
    > hardware on Com 2 via the PCI slots.
    >
    > The modem insists on being installed on Com 3. Then it crashes
    > frequently.
    >
    > I have access to another machine of identical spec and the modem
    > happily installs on Com 2 on this machine and is very stable.
    >
    > I've tried re-flashing the BIOS on the dodgy machine and even
    > reinstalled Windows.
    >
    > Any idea how I can force the modem onto Com 2?
    >
    > Win98SE. Celeron 400MHz.

    Turn off Com2 in the CMOS setup, then the modem will take it as the next
    free com port.

    And if it crashes on COM3, it's likely due to interrupt-sharing with
    what you have on COM1, even though Win98 does allow interrupt-sharing.

    -- DE
    Tergiversative, Oct 18, 2003