Selected collapsed conversations

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Oct 20, 2009.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I'm deleting my Sent Messages to newsgroups. This time I get a message
    saying that messages in the selected collapsed conversations will also be
    deleted. This hasn't happened before.

    What do they mean please? Just the bits of other posts my messages include
    in my reply, or the whole thread?

    I tried looking it up on Google, and it seems to be a message for Vista
    users. I've got XP

    Has Vista taken over the newsgroups? What should XP users do please?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 20, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hbiubp$o0b$-september.org>,
    says...
    > I'm deleting my Sent Messages to newsgroups. This time I get a message
    > saying that messages in the selected collapsed conversations will also be
    > deleted. This hasn't happened before.
    >
    > What do they mean please? Just the bits of other posts my messages include
    > in my reply, or the whole thread?
    >
    > I tried looking it up on Google, and it seems to be a message for Vista
    > users. I've got XP
    >
    > Has Vista taken over the newsgroups? What should XP users do please?


    What *are* you on about. You are talking about your newsreader *client*
    (not much to do with Vista, XP, Linux, Unix, Apple Mac!, Windows 7, 6,
    5, 4, 3, 2 or 1) - your newsreader *client* software program.

    But you don't mention what it is!!@?

    Looking at your headers - that would be:
    Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843

    I don't use it, but I will *presume* that you have collapsed a thread.

    So in a thread, in your Sent Messages, instead of seeing something like
    this:

    <thread Subj>
    <thread Subj> (a reply of yours)
    <thread Subj> (another reply of yours )
    <thread Subj> (a reply to the one above, etc)

    You just see
    + <thread Subj>

    That's because it's "collapsed" and not "expanded"

    I (presume) that it is in this (collapsed) mode, and you've clicked it
    (not the wee "plus" to expand it, just selected it), and then pressed
    the Delete key.

    So it's prompting you...
    "I'm gonna delete it, AND EVERYTHING ELSE UNDER IT" - Are you sure you
    want me (Outlook Express) to do that?"

    If you want to be more selective about what you want to delete, EXPAND
    THE THREAD - click the wee "plus" symbol to do that. (And then delete
    individual items).

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Oct 20, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    news:-september.org...
    > In article <hbiubp$o0b$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >> I'm deleting my Sent Messages to newsgroups. This time I get a message
    >> saying that messages in the selected collapsed conversations will also be
    >> deleted. This hasn't happened before.
    >>
    >> What do they mean please? Just the bits of other posts my messages
    >> include
    >> in my reply, or the whole thread?
    >>
    >> I tried looking it up on Google, and it seems to be a message for Vista
    >> users. I've got XP
    >>
    >> Has Vista taken over the newsgroups? What should XP users do please?

    >
    > What *are* you on about. You are talking about your newsreader *client*
    > (not much to do with Vista, XP, Linux, Unix, Apple Mac!, Windows 7, 6,
    > 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1) - your newsreader *client* software program.
    >
    > But you don't mention what it is!!@?


    > Looking at your headers - that would be:
    > Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843


    Thank you. Just XP , Outlook Express and eternal-september.org as far as I
    know.

    I'll save those numbers in case I need them.

    >
    > I don't use it, but I will *presume* that you have collapsed a thread.
    >
    > So in a thread, in your Sent Messages, instead of seeing something like
    > this:
    >
    > <thread Subj>
    > <thread Subj> (a reply of yours)
    > <thread Subj> (another reply of yours )
    > <thread Subj> (a reply to the one above, etc)
    >
    > You just see
    > + <thread Subj>
    >
    > That's because it's "collapsed" and not "expanded"
    >
    > I (presume) that it is in this (collapsed) mode, and you've clicked it
    > (not the wee "plus" to expand it, just selected it), and then pressed
    > the Delete key.


    Yes, it's collapsed and I'm trying to delete it.

    >
    > So it's prompting you...
    > "I'm gonna delete it, AND EVERYTHING ELSE UNDER IT" - Are you sure you
    > want me (Outlook Express) to do that?"


    So it only deletes what is in that particular message, (mine and what I'm
    replying to, etc) and not the whole thread?

    But why suddenly start asking when it never has before?
    It isn't going to be any different from what happens now.


    > If you want to be more selective about what you want to delete, EXPAND
    > THE THREAD - click the wee "plus" symbol to do that. (And then delete
    > individual items).
    >


    This is the website on Google

    http://www.vistax64.com/vista-mail/...d-collapsed-conversations-will-also-dele.html

    Before, I have always just deleted the sent items. Now I get the message
    about the collapsed conversations.
    From what is on Google, it looks as though others are getting the same
    message. There are some puzzled people asking as well as me.

    I don't know "what I'm on about", that's why I asked here. It looked to me
    as if stuff from Vista has got into XP.

    Thank you for the explanation. Now I can just delete it as I always have.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 20, 2009
    #3
  4. On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 00:19:52 +1300, Geopelia wrote:


    Hi Geo

    > Before, I have always just deleted the sent items. Now I get the message
    > about the collapsed conversations.


    when you have deleted things before where they collapsed? if not then it
    will just delete the one thing but once you collapse the thread (well your
    sent items in the thread) then it will delete off your computer all the
    things in that collapsed thread ( it assumes you want to that to the whole
    lot :) )

    > I don't know "what I'm on about", that's why I asked here. It looked to me
    > as if stuff from Vista has got into XP.


    Some people do have an abrupt way of answering sometimes Geo obviously
    haven't had the pleasure of your pleasant company on the net.
    Robin Halligan, Oct 21, 2009
    #4
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message
    news:1ikm9uyxuunft$...
    > On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 00:19:52 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >
    > Hi Geo
    >
    >> Before, I have always just deleted the sent items. Now I get the message
    >> about the collapsed conversations.

    >
    > when you have deleted things before where they collapsed? if not then it
    > will just delete the one thing but once you collapse the thread (well your
    > sent items in the thread) then it will delete off your computer all the
    > things in that collapsed thread ( it assumes you want to that to the whole
    > lot :) )
    >
    >> I don't know "what I'm on about", that's why I asked here. It looked to
    >> me
    >> as if stuff from Vista has got into XP.

    >
    > Some people do have an abrupt way of answering sometimes Geo obviously
    > haven't had the pleasure of your pleasant company on the net.
    >


    He's very helpful, it's me that is clueless!
    Geopelia, Oct 21, 2009
    #5
  6. On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 23:13:26 +1300, Geopelia wrote:

    > "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message
    > news:1ikm9uyxuunft$...
    >> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 00:19:52 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> Hi Geo
    >>
    >>> Before, I have always just deleted the sent items. Now I get the message
    >>> about the collapsed conversations.

    >>
    >> when you have deleted things before where they collapsed? if not then it
    >> will just delete the one thing but once you collapse the thread (well your
    >> sent items in the thread) then it will delete off your computer all the
    >> things in that collapsed thread ( it assumes you want to that to the whole
    >> lot :) )
    >>
    >>> I don't know "what I'm on about", that's why I asked here. It looked to
    >>> me
    >>> as if stuff from Vista has got into XP.

    >>
    >> Some people do have an abrupt way of answering sometimes Geo obviously
    >> haven't had the pleasure of your pleasant company on the net.
    >>

    >
    > He's very helpful, it's me that is clueless!


    Your not Clueless Geo, the clueless one would sit at the computer banging
    their head on the monitor screaming why wont this work, you on the other
    hand explain what the problem is to those that can help you, that shows you
    have some clues (and on other things you know a lot more than many of us
    on here.

    Remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    Robin Halligan, Oct 21, 2009
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. William W. Plummer

    Start with threads collapsed

    William W. Plummer, Jul 17, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    437
    William W. Plummer
    Aug 5, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?Tm9vZGxlcw==?=

    MSN Messenger - Video Conversations - sound will not work with vid

    =?Utf-8?B?Tm9vZGxlcw==?=, Nov 6, 2005, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    4,145
    Bob Christian
    Nov 7, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?ZHVuY2Fu?=

    Small network suddenly collapsed

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHVuY2Fu?=, Apr 14, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    459
    =?Utf-8?B?ZHVuY2Fu?=
    Apr 20, 2006
  4. Bhaiyyah

    MSN Service collapsed globally; Unavailable

    Bhaiyyah, Feb 26, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    530
    Barry OGrady
    Feb 28, 2008
  5. jam3s
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    657
    jam3s
    Nov 29, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page