Select Source Missing For 3300C Scanner

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SATB, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. SATB

    SATB Guest

    Currently I have HP Scanjet 3300C USB on my PC. Two weeks ago, I could
    go into Paint Shop Pro, and acquire an image from the scanner. On the
    weekend, I attempted the same thing, but could not find the "twain"
    source. I then went into the SELECT SOURCE box, and the scanner is not
    there. I have other photo editing software, and none of them display
    the scanner either.
    I have never installed PRECISION SCAN on this computer, only relying
    on WIA to do the job.
    I have uninstalled the scanner from hardware, unplugged the scanner,
    re-booted, and re-booted again (with the scanner plugged in). Windows
    discovers it and puts in the drivers. I can access the scanner through
    the SCANNER AND CAMERA wizard, however not through any photo-editing
    programs that have a SELECT SOURCE dialog box. I checked the TWAIN32
    directory, and discovered there was a file called wiatwain.ds. This, I
    believe, tells the SELECT SOURCE dialog box what peripherals are
    available through WIA. Then I tried another .ds file (from another
    computer), thinking that the wiatwain.ds was corrupt….but no, the
    SELECT SOURCE did not display anything from the other .ds file. I
    guess what I am trying to figure out: What process / paths are
    involved when you go to a SELECT SOURCE dialog box, and tells it to go
    look into the WINDOWS/ TWAIN32 folder? I think there must be a reg
    file missing/corrupt.

    I have done a format, re-installed XP, checked to see if the scanner
    was there in Paint Shop Pro (it was), and thought that's the end.
    Oh...no...just checked again today, and the scanner is missing again!
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (Could it be a Windows
    update fix??) Please help!

    SATB, Nov 15, 2003

  2. SATB

    °Mike° Guest

    Check your USB connections. Check (when you install your
    scanner software) that TWAIN.DLL and TWAIN_32.DLL are
    installed in the Windows directory.

    On 15 Nov 2003 10:05:24 -0800, in
    <>
    SATB scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 15, 2003

  3. SATB

    SATB Guest

    Mike: The two files are located in the windows directory....funny
    thing...I have another PC, hooked up the scanner, and it found it,
    check it with Paint Shop Pro, and there is was.
    I checked all the reg entries on the other PC with anything that said
    "3300c", made note of where they were located, and check my other PC
    if it had the same entries. It did!
    Basically, I need to find out what process occurs from Paint Shop Pro
    (or any other graphics program, that has a "select source" entry,
    where you can select a scanner. Where does the "select source" box get
    it's information from, and what reg entries have to be in place to do
    so.

    SATB, Nov 16, 2003
  4. SATB

    °Mike° Guest

    This is not a registry issue. An image capturing application
    will require TWAIN libraries and it's own internal libraries.
    Those (TWAIN) I have already mentioned. I can only suggest
    that you uninstall and re-install the application/s involved.

    Other than that, you could ask in a Windows XP specific
    group.

    On 15 Nov 2003 23:49:05 -0800, in
    <>
    SATB scrawled: