Select a 5 megapixel camera between 6 models ????

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris Berry, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. Chris Berry

    Chris Berry Guest

    Canon A95 - got it and am very pleased with it.
    cb

    --
    =================================
    Some people have something to say... others have to say something!

    Chris Berry, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Chris Berry

    Joe Guest

    "Manolo" <> wrote in message
    > Hello I am looking forward to buying a Digital camera of about 5
    > megapixeles,
    >
    > At the moment I have selected this machines.
    > Could you give me some advice,
    >
    > Nikon CoolPix 5200
    > Canon Ixus 500
    > Konica-Minolita G500
    > Olympus C50
    > Olympus C60Z
    > Pentax S51
    >
    > Thank you. Very much

    If you need advice, you're like me a bumbling amatuer (I'm not even sure how
    to spell "amatuer" - it always looks wrong to me). Please go to
    www.dpreview.com
    Go for the cheapest and smallest to start with. Lots of pricey cameras out
    there with loads of facilities which you may never use. Basic point & shoot.
    Most photos are impulse. No one wants to hang around while you waste time
    adjusting your settings. The resultant shot usually shows a bored face.
    Get a small camera so that it will fit inside your pocket. They are very
    attractive to thieves as I found out. If its too big for your pocket you may
    leave it down for a second - goodbye camera.
    The latest digital cameras are always the dearest. Search the web for last
    year's models. Good luck,
    Joe

    Joe, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Manolo wrote:
    > Hello I am looking forward to buying a Digital camera of about 5
    > megapixeles,
    >
    > At the moment I have selected this machines.
    > Could you give me some advice,
    >
    > Nikon CoolPix 5200
    > Canon Ixus 500
    > Konica-Minolita G500
    > Olympus C50
    > Olympus C60Z
    > Pentax S51
    >
    > Thank you. Very much

    If you can tell us a little more about how you plan on using the camera,
    we might be able to offer some better advice.

    Right now I am guessing, general family photos. If you are interested
    in something like sports, or theater or portrait etc. the preferred choice
    may change. I can't say a lot about your list of choices as I have no
    personal experience with any of them, but others do and more information
    from you may help them help you.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 18, 2004
  4. "Manolo" <> wrote in message
    > Could you give me some advice,

    I'm afraid I cannot help choosing between the mentioned cameras, but my
    advice is to adjust the date on your PC;-)

    --
    Jan Otto

    Jan Otto Ruud, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Chris Berry

    Frank ess Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > "Manolo" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello I am looking forward to buying a Digital camera of about 5
    >> megapixeles,
    >>
    >> At the moment I have selected this machines.
    >> Could you give me some advice,
    >>
    >> Nikon CoolPix 5200
    >> Canon Ixus 500
    >> Konica-Minolita G500
    >> Olympus C50
    >> Olympus C60Z
    >> Pentax S51
    >>
    >> Thank you. Very much
    >>

    > If you need advice, you're like me a bumbling amatuer (I'm not even
    > sure how to spell "amatuer" - it always looks wrong to me). Please go
    > to www.dpreview.com
    > Go for the cheapest and smallest to start with. Lots of pricey
    > cameras out there with loads of facilities which you may never use.
    > Basic point & shoot. Most photos are impulse. No one wants to hang
    > around while you waste time adjusting your settings. The resultant
    > shot usually shows a bored face.
    > Get a small camera so that it will fit inside your pocket. They are
    > very attractive to thieves as I found out. If its too big for your
    > pocket you may leave it down for a second - goodbye camera.
    > The latest digital cameras are always the dearest. Search the web for
    > last year's models. Good luck,
    > Joe

    There is some good principle in there, in what Joe says. My experience,
    not with just cameras, but about every choice you make, you will look
    back and wish you knew then what you know now. All the research you can
    do will help some, but there is no substitute for experience with the
    subject in the area and manner you will use it.

    Specifications and performance tests can't tell you if it fits you
    comfortably. Hands-on is the only way to know. I'm thinking of a
    particular car I lusted for, saved for, bought, and in a very short time
    realized it didn't fit well enough to live with. (And one wife, but
    don't say that out loud...)

    Not only the fit, but the function can't be evaluated without hands-on,
    and every bit of experience you have with a camera will teach you
    something about what you need, what you want, and what you can
    disregard.

    My advice is: buy a less expensive one, as Joe said, use it for a while,
    develop that perspective on the actual act of picture-taking with a
    machine in your hands, and you will be able to make a better choice down
    the road. Much less chance of throwing away money on a camera that
    doesn'e suit your needs and methods.

    If only I had rented one for a while, before making the commitment...

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 18, 2004
  6. Chris Berry

    Scott Guest

    Re: Choosing best 5 MP digital camera - recommendations

    Manolo,

    Depending on how you want to use the camera, you may find some from
    your list better than others.

    You can find a list of recommended 5 MP cameras here:
    http://digital-camera.review-center.com/guide/guide.php?id=3&t=Experienced

    Regarding the cameras you are looking at specifically, you can read
    what current owners of some of these cameras have to say about them.
    Reading their comments may be a great help in making your decision:

    http://digital-camera.review-center.com/catalog/product.php?ASIN=B0002805TG

    http://digital-camera.review-center.com/catalog/product.php?ASIN=B0001G6U5W

    http://digital-camera.review-center.com/catalog/product.php?ASIN=B00006JLOT

    http://digital-camera.review-center.com/catalog/product.php?ASIN=B0001DKQWI

    > Pentax S51

    Hope this helps!

    -Scott

    Scott, Oct 19, 2004
  7. Chris Berry

    mcs Guest

    try and find a fz20 .

    mcs, Oct 19, 2004
  8. Chris Berry

    mcs Guest

    ps the fz-20 is a panasonic model . Realize I say to try it out first if
    possible and get one from a store with return privileges . The one I tried
    was nice but I say always try it out first in the store if possible and get
    a return policy that is good. Digital cameras to me are still not completely
    reliable and I am saying that with all makes .

    mcs, Oct 19, 2004
  9. rec.photo.digital

    Re: Select a 5 megapixel camera between 6 models ????

    "Manolo" <> wrote in message news:ckvsj5$aq5$...
    > Hello I am looking forward to buying a Digital camera of about 5
    > megapixeles,
    >
    > At the moment I have selected this machines.
    > Could you give me some advice,
    >
    > Nikon CoolPix 5200
    > Canon Ixus 500
    > Konica-Minolita G500
    > Olympus C50
    > Olympus C60Z
    > Pentax S51

    Eliminate the Nikon Coolpix 5200 since it uses SD, not CF.
    Eliminate the Konica-Minolta G500 since it lacks AF-Illumination, and
    it uses SD
    Eliminate the Olympus C50 and C60, because they lack AF-Illumination,
    and use xD
    Eliminate the Pentax s5i because it lacks AF-Illumination, and uses SD

    The Ixus S500 is the only camera in the US$ 200-400 price range, that
    is 5 megapixels, used CF, has AF-illumination, and an optical zoom.
    And while you can't select a camera just by features, it's probably
    the best one out of that list in terms of image quality anyway.

    If you relax the requirement for Compact Flash, then the Nikon Coolpix
    5200 is acceptable, but the review is not great.

    Nikon Coolpix 5200 review:
    http://dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=566

    Canon Ixus S500 review:
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s410_s500-review/index.shtml

    You might also look at the Canon A95, but the AA batteries are a pain.

    Steven Scharf, Oct 19, 2004
  10. Chris Berry

    Warren Weber Guest

    Warren Weber, Oct 19, 2004
  11. Chris Berry

    Chris D Guest

    On 18 Oct 2004 18:26:26 -0700
    (Steven Scharf) wrote:

    > You might also look at the Canon A95, but the AA batteries are
    > a pain.

    Are they? They do mean that if you forget to pack your spare
    battery, you can pick up some AAs for a couple o bucks at
    pretty much any store you walk into, to get you through whilst
    the others charge. I Picked the A95 because of the AAs, and
    the fact that you can pick 'em up anywhere.

    I've only just got an A95, but one thing I can tell you so far
    is that it gives VERY little warning before going flat! :eek:

    Chris D, Oct 19, 2004
  12. Chris Berry

    Pete Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:03:30 GMT, mcs wrote:

    > try and find a fz20 .

    I'll second that. I reviewed the earlier FZ10 in depth, and the FZ20 is
    better in several respects. You can find details of both cameras at...

    http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic/?s=ng

    HTH

    Pete

    Pete, Oct 19, 2004
  13. Chris Berry

    Jürgen Eidt Guest

    "Steven Scharf" <>
    > Eliminate the Nikon Coolpix 5200 since it uses SD, not CF.

    It can be a point to consider if you have CFs already.
    I have both CF and SD in use and I don't see any disadvantages in using SD.
    For these tiny cameras a small storage media is often the only solution.
    Not sure if its really true (read this story some time ago), but in a design
    meeting a Nikon architect throws the first built model into the aquarium and
    asked the engineers to watch out for the bubbles. He commented: "There is
    still some space left".
    ;)

    --
    Regards
    Jürgen

    http://cpicture.de/en

    Jürgen Eidt, Oct 19, 2004
  14. I'll third that, The fz20 has a great 12X Leica lens and image stabilization
    which can get great shots at full zoom. The best part is that it has f2.8
    brightness throughout the entire zoom range. For its price, I don't think
    you can come close to these features anywhere near its price range.

    Jason

    Jason Peterson, Oct 19, 2004
  15. Chris Berry

    Mark Johnson Guest

    "Manolo" <> wrote:

    >Hello I am looking forward to buying a Digital camera of about 5
    >megapixeles,
    >
    >At the moment I have selected this machines.
    >Could you give me some advice,
    >
    >Nikon CoolPix 5200
    >Canon Ixus 500
    >Konica-Minolita G500
    >Olympus C50
    >Olympus C60Z
    >Pentax S51
    >
    >Thank you. Very much

    I don't know if you'll still feel that way, 'Manolo'. But C5050, the
    discontinued Oly. Usually, from what I've seen, the next step up from
    this is dSLR.

    The C5050 needs to be pampered. Drop it, and it could get a little
    noisy, a little red, loose alignment. Treat it well, you get some very
    nice photos, particularly for the money for a used and discontinued
    camera. Comes with a nice waterproof shell, extra cost, so you can go
    out in the rain, or to the horse show with all the dust flying. You
    can go to the sprint races, with the clay flying everywhere.

    Again, it's a great camera. If you do consider it, again, the first
    accessory is an ebay 'tube', a lens tube on which you buy a ND or
    clear filter and just leave the tube and glass protecting the zoom.
    Or, keep it in a diving shell, which is made for the camera. Treat is
    gently. Use RAW when you can for best results. Get a BIG CF card -
    512-1Meg. You'll love it.

    Manolo, Oct 19, 2004
  17. Chris Berry

    gavJ Guest

    What about the Sony Cyber-Shot DSCP100????

    Gav

    gavJ, Oct 19, 2004
  18. Chris Berry

    Martin Brown Guest

    In message
    <>,
    Chris D <> writes
    >On 18 Oct 2004 18:26:26 -0700
    > (Steven Scharf) wrote:
    >
    >> You might also look at the Canon A95, but the AA batteries are
    >> a pain.

    >Are they? They do mean that if you forget to pack your spare
    >battery, you can pick up some AAs for a couple o bucks at
    >pretty much any store you walk into, to get you through whilst
    >the others charge. I Picked the A95 because of the AAs, and
    >the fact that you can pick 'em up anywhere.

    The advantage of the dedicated batteries is that they fit into smaller
    spaces and most seem to have better discharge characteristics than
    generic AA cells. I have had both sorts. There is an advantage in being
    able to buy a new set of batteries out in the sticks - especially in the
    bad old days when cameras drew a couple of amps and rechargeable
    batteries lasted next to no time. But these days I can fill a 256MB card
    on each battery.

    >I've only just got an A95, but one thing I can tell you so far
    >is that it gives VERY little warning before going flat! :eek:

    NiCads can be pretty bordline for digicams even when fully charged. NiMH
    are marginally better.

    Regards,
    --
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Oct 19, 2004
  19. "Chris D" <> wrote in message
    > On 18 Oct 2004 18:26:26 -0700
    > (Steven Scharf) wrote:
    >
    > > You might also look at the Canon A95, but the AA batteries are
    > > a pain.

    > Are they? They do mean that if you forget to pack your spare
    > battery, you can pick up some AAs for a couple o bucks at
    > pretty much any store you walk into, to get you through whilst
    > the others charge.

    This argument has been posted ad-naueseum, but IMVAIO, it's a very weak
    argument, and the disadvantages of AA batteries far outweigh this minor
    advantage. If this is really a concern, you can buy a charger that charges
    Li-Ion batteries from a pack of AA cells.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 19, 2004
  20. "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    > The advantage of the dedicated batteries is that they fit into smaller
    > spaces and most seem to have better discharge characteristics than
    > generic AA cells. I have had both sorts. There is an advantage in being
    > able to buy a new set of batteries out in the sticks - especially in the
    > bad old days when cameras drew a couple of amps and rechargeable
    > batteries lasted next to no time. But these days I can fill a 256MB card
    > on each battery.
    > >
    > >I've only just got an A95, but one thing I can tell you so far
    > >is that it gives VERY little warning before going flat! :eek:

    > NiCads can be pretty bordline for digicams even when fully charged. NiMH
    > are marginally better.

    This is true. Also, for an infrequently used camera, the NiMH AA cells
    self-discharge much faster than the Li-Ion batteries.

    I got my kids an A60 and I have an S500. The AA batteries are a pain in the
    butt, since every time they want to use the camera it seems that the
    batteries are dead. OTOH, I can not use the S500 for a month and it doesn't
    lose much of the charge.

    The other issue of course is the number of shots per battery (or set of
    batteries). The battery in the S500 probably takes at least twice the number
    of shots per battery than the A60, even though the battery weight and size
    is smaller, and the S500 is 5 megapixels versus 2 megapixels.

    The one possibility is an AA camera that takes the R-CRV3 Li-Ion packs as
    well, but you'd typically need four batteries and two chargers to be able to
    have one set charging while one is being used.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 19, 2004