Seinfeld cast boycotts DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike McGee, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Mike McGee

    Mike McGee Guest

    It looks like money will make Michael Richards, Jason Alexander and
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus from contributing to the upcoming Seinfeld DVDs.

    "The New York Times reported Tuesday that Michael Richards (who played
    Kramer), Jason Alexander (who played George) and Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    (who played Elaine), declined to give on-camera interviews for the DVD
    set or otherwise participate in the project because they are not being
    offered a share of the sales, only a recording fee.

    "They all said, 'Why should we make other people richer,'" said a
    representative of one of the actors to the Times."

    Here's the full article link:
    http://www.thedigitalreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=523

    --
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Mike McGee

    Mike McGee, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Mike McGee

    yachtboy! Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:22:12 GMT, Mike McGee
    <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> wrote:

    >It looks like money will make Michael Richards, Jason Alexander and
    >Julia Louis-Dreyfus from contributing to the upcoming Seinfeld DVDs.
    >

    >"The New York Times reported Tuesday that Michael Richards (who played
    >Kramer), Jason Alexander (who played George) and Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    >(who played Elaine), declined to give on-camera interviews for the DVD
    >set or otherwise participate in the project because they are not being
    >offered a share of the sales, only a recording fee.
    >
    >"They all said, 'Why should we make other people richer,'" said a
    >representative of one of the actors to the Times."
    >

    >Here's the full article link:
    >http://www.thedigitalreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=523

    I wish I could make $100,000 just talking about a job I used to
    have.....
    ==========
    "Being diabetic is alot like having an un-invited
    guest at a picnic, who keeps pointing out the potato
    salad may have gone bad."--W.B. Willis

    "Destiny has a strange sense of humor..." K. Honeycutt
    ----------
    http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe
    http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/psychedelic.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/slinkypage.html

    "He not busy being born is busy dying..." B. Dylan

    =======================

    yachtboy!, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Mike McGee

    Cernovog Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:22:12 -0500, Mike McGee wrote
    (in message <231220030922113889%admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com>):

    > "They all said, 'Why should we make other people richer,'" said a
    > representative of one of the actors to the Times."

    They certainly didn't enrich our lives with their performances, why start
    now?

    Cernovog, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Mike McGee

    Windbag1000 Guest

    >> "They all said, 'Why should we make other people richer,'" said a
    >> representative of one of the actors to the Times."

    >They certainly didn't enrich our lives with their performances, why start
    >now?

    Greed

    Windbag1000, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Mike McGee

    JWB Guest

    "yachtboy!" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:22:12 GMT, Mike McGee
    > <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> wrote:
    >
    > >It looks like money will make Michael Richards, Jason Alexander and
    > >Julia Louis-Dreyfus from contributing to the upcoming Seinfeld DVDs.
    > >

    > >"The New York Times reported Tuesday that Michael Richards (who played
    > >Kramer), Jason Alexander (who played George) and Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    > >(who played Elaine), declined to give on-camera interviews for the DVD
    > >set or otherwise participate in the project because they are not being
    > >offered a share of the sales, only a recording fee.
    > >
    > >"They all said, 'Why should we make other people richer,'" said a
    > >representative of one of the actors to the Times."
    > >

    > >Here's the full article link:
    > >http://www.thedigitalreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=523

    > I wish I could make $100,000 just talking about a job I used to
    > have.....

    But would you take $100 for several hours in front of the camera, knowing
    your employer would then make thousands off of your efforts?

    I don't blame them one bit.

    JWB, Dec 23, 2003
  6. JWB wrote:
    > But would you take $100 for several hours in front of the camera, knowing
    > your employer would then make thousands off of your efforts?
    >
    > I don't blame them one bit.

    I would have done it for free, in their place. I think it's ungrateful,
    considering that they're all millionaires thanks to that show. When
    you're working in the arts, money can't always be the primary
    consideration--and I'm a conservative! These people (Dreyfuss at least)
    are liberals, they're supposed to be above "petty" commercial concerns.
    Limousine liberalism at its best.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Mike McGee

    JWB Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > JWB wrote:
    > > But would you take $100 for several hours in front of the camera,

    knowing
    > > your employer would then make thousands off of your efforts?
    > >
    > > I don't blame them one bit.
    > >

    > I would have done it for free, in their place. I think it's ungrateful,
    > considering that they're all millionaires thanks to that show.

    So, going by that logic, anybody who already earned a pile of money doing
    something shouldn't be paid again? Maybe big movie stars should work for
    free from now on (hey, they already made millions thanks to the movie
    business). Sports stars too.

    When
    > you're working in the arts, money can't always be the primary
    > consideration--and I'm a conservative! These people (Dreyfuss at least)
    > are liberals, they're supposed to be above "petty" commercial concerns.
    > Limousine liberalism at its best.

    why is everyone expects rich people to work for free? Sorry, if I were them,
    I'd demand a piece of the sales too. They *know* Jerry and Larry will make
    millions off of the DVD. Why should they do just as much work for WAY less?

    JWB, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Mike McGee

    TSKO Guest

    Good for them IMO........the show was not all Jerry.....may have been his
    baby somewhat....but why should they lend their time and effort only to make
    Jerry richer....they all deserve equal parts of the pie..

    TSKO, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Mike McGee

    Wade365 Guest

    Who really gives a shit what these people think after the fact? I might
    actually want to hear what Larry David has to say, or the writers because
    they're the ones who came up with it all... but as good as their delivery is
    and as much as I enjoyed the show, I learned my lesson with the "Vacation" DVD
    when it comes to the stars giving commentary -

    (Chevy prattles on)"... and... uuhhhh... here, is the... uh... I guess this is
    the point in the show... oh, yeah... I remember this now... sure..."
    (Randy Quaid snorts in his sleep)

    Stars aren't their characters, which is why Collin Ferrell is such a complete
    rockhead and yet his movie personae can navigate computers and out-wit
    criminals; In real life I bet he can't make it through a room without bruising
    his shins on the furniture.

    The show is all I need... that's why I want the DVDs. If I want to hear Julia's
    views I'll pick up a copy of Redbook magazine.

    Now get on with issuing it, already!

    Wade365, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Mike McGee

    Rogers News Guest

    season 1 sucked, plus I can see the show 5 times a day in rotating
    syndication. fuckem all!

    Rogers News, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Mike McGee

    Phaelsa Guest

    > It looks like money will make Michael Richards, Jason Alexander and
    > Julia Louis-Dreyfus from contributing to the upcoming Seinfeld DVDs.
    >
    > "The New York Times reported Tuesday that Michael Richards (who played
    > Kramer), Jason Alexander (who played George) and Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    > (who played Elaine), declined to give on-camera interviews for the DVD
    > set or otherwise participate in the project because they are not being
    > offered a share of the sales, only a recording fee.
    >
    > "They all said, 'Why should we make other people richer,'" said a
    > representative of one of the actors to the Times."

    I agree that the company should share the profits as there would be no
    profits in the first place if not for these talented people. However,
    how very sad that the set will not have them on it because of the even
    bigger greed of the company making the DVD. They figure people will
    buy the set regardless, so why pay the people who make the show worth
    buying any money, and don't feel any pressure to pay the actors. The
    company feels like it should make money selling copies of this show
    without paying the artists of the show. If any of us did something like
    that, the FBI would arrest us and we would go to jail.

    What a bunch of greedy crooks.

    Phaelsa, Dec 23, 2003
  12. Mike McGee

    Phaelsa Guest

    > I wish I could make $100,000 just talking about a job I used to

    Yes, it is greed on BOTH sides. They want more money, but then again,
    why should the company make all the money on a program that is great
    because of the actors in it, not the people who now just want to make money
    selling it as a DVD set. Without the actors, there would have been
    nothing to sell on DVD, and they would have made ZERO dollars, so sharing
    half the profits is most fair, just and ethical.

    Phaelsa, Dec 24, 2003
  13. Mike McGee

    WJM Guest

    "yachtboy!" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:22:12 GMT, Mike McGee
    > <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> wrote:
    >
    > >It looks like money will make Michael Richards, Jason Alexander and
    > >Julia Louis-Dreyfus from contributing to the upcoming Seinfeld DVDs.
    > >

    > >"The New York Times reported Tuesday that Michael Richards (who played
    > >Kramer), Jason Alexander (who played George) and Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    > >(who played Elaine), declined to give on-camera interviews for the DVD
    > >set or otherwise participate in the project because they are not being
    > >offered a share of the sales, only a recording fee.
    > >
    > >"They all said, 'Why should we make other people richer,'" said a
    > >representative of one of the actors to the Times."
    > >

    > >Here's the full article link:
    > >http://www.thedigitalreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=523

    > I wish I could make $100,000 just talking about a job I used to
    > have.....
    > ==========

    Hmmm...but who would want to listen to stories about BJs you've given?
    ;-)

    WJM, Dec 24, 2003
  14. Mike McGee

    Phaelsa Guest

    > But would you take $100 for several hours in front of the camera, knowing
    > your employer would then make thousands off of your efforts?
    >
    > I don't blame them one bit.

    Depends on the individual, but as we see here, most decided no.

    I am getting tired of these big companies always trying to screw the artists
    and actors be it music, movies or television. Yeah, doesn't seem like
    they are getting screwed getting millions of dollars, you are right, but the
    company is making billions of dollars and are even extra greedy bastards.
    It is just a matter of who is the biggest greediest asshole, they both are
    greedy.

    Phaelsa, Dec 24, 2003
  15. Mike McGee

    Phaelsa Guest

    > I would have done it for free, in their place.

    You would have done it for free in YOUR place, and so would I have, but not if
    you were in their place.

    > I think it's ungrateful,
    > considering that they're all millionaires thanks to that show.

    But the company are billionaires thanks to them, the show would have sucked
    with other less talented actors. To you and I, we would have done the show
    for HALF the money they did. But once you get a taste of getting even that
    much money and realize you can hold out for more and that no one will give you
    a raise unless you play the game, then you have to play the game too.

    Like buying or selling a house. You want to just put a house up for what you
    want, but you have to put it up for MORE than what you want and play the stupid
    retarded silly game of raising the price X amount, then every buyer knows where
    he will have to end up after the "bargaining game" I think that sucks.
    When I sell my house, it is going to be listed as: "$X FIRM - NO
    NEGOTIATING. IF YOU WANT TO NEGOTIATE AND PLAY GAMES, THEN PLEASE ADD $X TO
    THE PRICE FIRST. IF YOU ARE SICK OF THE GAMES, THEN YOU NOW KNOW WHAT THE
    FINAL PRICE IS GOING TO BE AND SAVE US BOTH A LOT OF TIME.

    > When
    > you're working in the arts, money can't always be the primary
    > consideration

    Actually, in art, money should always be the LAST consideration.

    > --and I'm a conservative!

    That only means you are a member of the Government Party (aka: Republicat
    Party)

    > These people (Dreyfuss at least)
    > are liberals,

    Again, members of the EXACT same party, has nothing to do with this discussion.

    > they're supposed to be above "petty" commercial concerns.
    > Limousine liberalism at its best.

    Anyone that says something you don't like, you call a liberal, as if there were
    only two types of people in the entire world. I am not a conservative, I am
    not a liberal. I don't belong to the Government Party.

    Phaelsa, Dec 24, 2003
  16. Mike McGee

    Phaelsa Guest

    > > I would have done it for free, in their place. I think it's ungrateful,
    > > considering that they're all millionaires thanks to that show.

    > So, going by that logic, anybody who already earned a pile of money doing
    > something shouldn't be paid again? Maybe big movie stars should work for
    > free from now on (hey, they already made millions thanks to the movie
    > business). Sports stars too.

    This is a silly debate if people are going to pick sides since BOTH sides are
    greedy and wrong in this case. Santa and/or Jesus would not side with either
    side in this case.

    This is as about as silly as arguing between republicans and democrats, again
    BOTH are wrong.

    Phaelsa, Dec 24, 2003
  17. Mike McGee

    Ray Guest

    Wade365 wrote:

    > The show is all I need... that's why I want the DVDs. If I want to
    > hear Julia's views I'll pick up a copy of Redbook magazine.

    Same here. Those folks might just have something interesting to say,
    and if they contribute to the DVDs, fine. If they don't, it's really
    not going to make any difference as to whether I would buy the set or
    not.

    As far as greed or gratitude are concerned, I really don't see an
    issue there. If everyone can agree to terms, dandy. If not, then move
    on.

    Ray, Dec 24, 2003
  18. Mike McGee wrote:

    > It looks like money will make Michael Richards, Jason Alexander and
    > Julia Louis-Dreyfus from contributing to the upcoming Seinfeld DVDs.

    ....Well, SOMEBODY had to do the Arnold Schwarzenegger greed act to set
    the rule bar for the TV series-sets.

    So, with that act of selfishness out of the way, we should see more
    stars of other series agreeing to participate on principle.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Dec 24, 2003
  19. Rogers News <> wrote:
    > season 1 sucked, plus I can see the show 5 times a day in rotating
    > syndication. fuckem all!

    I'm sure they would rather you watch the re-runs, since they actually get
    paid for that. Ya gotta think that DVD sales might reduce the market for
    the syndicated re-runs, at least a little, so esentially by cutting them
    out of the profits of the DVD release they are replacing a sales outlet
    that makes them money with one that doesn't. I sure wouldn't give them
    my labor undor those conditions.

    Jake Patterson, Dec 24, 2003
  20. Mike McGee

    JWB Guest

    "Phaelsa" <> wrote in message
    > > > I would have done it for free, in their place. I think it's

    ungrateful,
    > > > considering that they're all millionaires thanks to that show.

    > > So, going by that logic, anybody who already earned a pile of money

    doing
    > > something shouldn't be paid again? Maybe big movie stars should work for
    > > free from now on (hey, they already made millions thanks to the movie
    > > business). Sports stars too.

    > This is a silly debate if people are going to pick sides since BOTH sides

    are
    > greedy and wrong in this case. Santa and/or Jesus would not side with

    either
    > side in this case.
    >
    > This is as about as silly as arguing between republicans and democrats,

    again
    > BOTH are wrong.

    Yea, I agree, but I don't understand the people who think it's fine for
    others to work for little to no money, just because they (seemingly) have a
    lot of money already. Yea, to *us*, the "other three" have a lot of money.
    I'll bet by Hollywood standards they don't.

    JWB, Dec 24, 2003