    anyone have any better ways of doing this?

    Regards

    Mark

    Mark Scott, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Mark Scott

    Guest

    Hi Mark,

    You should look at using a media converter to accomplish this. Most of
    the 'routers' that have a fiber connection on them are actually larger
    layer 3 switches (with routing capabilities). The converter will allow
    you to turn a fiber connection into a standard ethernet connection to
    plug into your router. Transition networks (http://www.transition.com)
    would be a good place to start.

    Cheers,
    Spencer

    Mark Scott wrote:
    > Currently we have a central HP Procurve switch with 6 fibre modules.

    The
    > fibre then goes across the campus and terminates via ST connections

    into
    > managed switches (non Cisco).
    >
    > We have a need to segment the network but I am looking into how we

    can
    > connect the routers. Is there such a thing as an ST interface on a

    router?
    > Ideally, I would like to plug the ST fibre into 1 interface and run

    CAt5
    > from the other interface into the managed switch. Is this possible

    or does
    > anyone have any better ways of doing this?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Mark

    , Feb 17, 2005

  3. Mark Scott

    Mark Scott Guest

    Thanks Spencer, sorry for the delay in replying to you.

    Am I right in thinking that all I need are 5 routers and 5 Media Convertors
    (I have 5 remote cabinets), take out the fibre from the remote switch, plug
    1 ethernet interface into the media convertor and the other into the remote
    switch ie:

    Central --- fibre --- remote MC -- remote router --- switch?

    I will then have all remote interfaces and the servers on 1 subnet and
    remote devices on a different subnet depending on the location?

    Cheers

    Mark

    Mark Scott, Feb 20, 2005
  4. Mark Scott

    Merv Guest

    Is this one big flat network today ?

    You need to determine traffic volumes so that you can select a router /
    layer 3 switch for

    Stay away from transceiver if at all possible as it is one more thing
    to break and one more thing to have to troubleshoot. If you do use
    fibre transceive, make sure that they support pulling down the Ethernet
    link should the firbe link go down.

    In the Cisco line you could look at:

    .. Catalyst 4500 series layer2/3 switches
    .. Catalyst 3550-12G
    .. Catalyst 3750-12s (supports 12 small form factor GBICs)

    Merv, Feb 20, 2005