Seems like DL DVD Burners are now a Lemon..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. Comments on a few sites state that DL DVD burners are being dropped, the Media
    is far to dear and the hole system of burning DL disk is very unreliable..

    Seems like it was only meant for the Lab...
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 19, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    thing Guest

    BIG wrote:
    >
    >
    > Comments on a few sites state that DL DVD burners are being dropped, the Media
    > is far to dear and the hole system of burning DL disk is very unreliable..
    >
    > Seems like it was only meant for the Lab...
    >
    >
    >
    >


    This a woger posting?

    URLs?

    If I recall correctly the first dvd burners were also a bit of a
    inadequate item. DL offers 9Gig of backup, I will get one, once Im happy
    they are mature enough for every day use.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jan 19, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    EMB Guest

    thing wrote:
    >
    > This a woger posting?


    Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them
    Crap (TM).

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Jan 19, 2005
    #3
  4. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    colinco Guest

    In article EMB says...
    > thing wrote:
    > >
    > > This a woger posting?

    >
    > Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    > for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them
    > Crap (TM).
    >
    >

    How much gin with that lemon?
    Some balance http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18821
    colinco, Jan 19, 2005
    #4
  5. On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:43:50 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >hing wrote:
    >>
    >> This a woger posting?

    >
    >Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    >for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them
    >Crap (TM).
    >
    >--
    >EMB




    Utter Bollock, post the Facts crap head..

    Gee you have a Sick little mind don't..
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 19, 2005
    #5
  6. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    Mutlley Guest

    thing <> wrote:

    >BIG wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> Comments on a few sites state that DL DVD burners are being dropped, the Media
    >> is far to dear and the hole system of burning DL disk is very unreliable..
    >>
    >> Seems like it was only meant for the Lab...
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    >This a woger posting?
    >
    >URLs?
    >
    >If I recall correctly the first dvd burners were also a bit of a
    >inadequate item. DL offers 9Gig of backup, I will get one, once Im happy
    >they are mature enough for every day use.
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    I would never use a DL burner for data backup only for video..
    Mutlley, Jan 19, 2005
    #6
  7. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    JohnO Guest

    <BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:43:50 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    > >hing wrote:
    > >>
    > >> This a woger posting?

    > >
    > >Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    > >for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them
    > >Crap (TM).
    > >
    > >--
    > >EMB

    >
    >
    >
    > Utter Bollock, post the Facts crap head..
    >
    > Gee you have a Sick little mind don't..
    >
    >


    I'd reply to that Woger, but I don't want to upset the delicate
    sensitivities of a couple of usenet nannies that you've acquired.
    JohnO, Jan 19, 2005
    #7
  8. JohnO wrote:
    >>>Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    >>>for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them


    >>Utter Bollock, post the Facts crap head..
    >>Gee you have a Sick little mind don't..


    > I'd reply to that Woger, but I don't want to upset the delicate
    > sensitivities of a couple of usenet nannies that you've acquired.


    it'd be fine to reply, becuase you see you have been provoked "this
    time" unlike "last time" when you ruthlessly attacked him for no reason
    what so ever.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 19, 2005
    #8
  9. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    JohnO Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > JohnO wrote:
    > >>>Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    > >>>for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them

    >
    > >>Utter Bollock, post the Facts crap head..
    > >>Gee you have a Sick little mind don't..

    >
    > > I'd reply to that Woger, but I don't want to upset the delicate
    > > sensitivities of a couple of usenet nannies that you've acquired.

    >
    > it'd be fine to reply, becuase you see you have been provoked "this
    > time" unlike "last time" when you ruthlessly attacked him for no reason
    > what so ever.


    LOL!
    JohnO, Jan 19, 2005
    #9
  10. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    Matthias Guest

    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote:

    > Utter Bollock, post the Facts crap head..
    >
    > Gee you have a Sick little mind don't..


    "You see? You see? Your stupid minds. Stupid! Stupid!"

    -- Matthias
    Matthias, Jan 19, 2005
    #10
  11. JohnO said the following on 20/01/2005 9:33 a.m.:
    > <BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:43:50 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>hing wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>This a woger posting?
    >>>
    >>>Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    >>>for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them
    >>>Crap (TM).
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>EMB

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>Utter Bollock, post the Facts crap head..
    >>
    >>Gee you have a Sick little mind don't..
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    > I'd reply to that Woger, but I don't want to upset the delicate
    > sensitivities of a couple of usenet nannies that you've acquired.
    >
    >

    Ignore the nannies, just keep it seemly and go for it, like EMB I
    remember him going all out for DL format.



    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some can avoid it.
    Geniuses remove it
    Collector»NZ, Jan 19, 2005
    #11
  12. In article <>,
    colinco <> wrote:

    >Some balance http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18821


    "... it will be years before either [Blu-Ray or HD-DVD] replaces the
    DVD." But that's the DVD format as it stands _now_, where the
    predominant writable format is single-layer. Now that Blu-Ray drives, at
    least, are starting to hit the market, DL DVD certainly has an uphill
    struggle to establish itself. After all, why upgrade to a DL-capable
    drive when much higher-capacity formats are just around the corner?

    Also, last I heard, DL discs were not only more expensive than the
    equivalent number of single-layer discs, they were also slower to write.
    So there was really no advantage to using them.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jan 19, 2005
    #12
  13. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    cowboyz Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > JohnO wrote:
    >>>>Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    >>>>for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them

    >
    >>>Utter Bollock, post the Facts crap head..
    >>>Gee you have a Sick little mind don't..

    >
    >> I'd reply to that Woger, but I don't want to upset the delicate
    >> sensitivities of a couple of usenet nannies that you've acquired.

    >
    > it'd be fine to reply, becuase you see you have been provoked "this time"
    > unlike "last time" when you ruthlessly attacked him for no reason what so
    > ever.


    Jezzz. can you get those floodgates open any wider????
    cowboyz, Jan 19, 2005
    #13
  14. cowboyz wrote:
    >>>>>Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    >>>>>for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them


    >>>>Utter Bollock, post the Facts crap head..
    >>>>Gee you have a Sick little mind don't..


    >>>I'd reply to that Woger, but I don't want to upset the delicate
    >>>sensitivities of a couple of usenet nannies that you've acquired.


    >>it'd be fine to reply, becuase you see you have been provoked "this time"
    >>unlike "last time" when you ruthlessly attacked him for no reason what so
    >>ever.


    > Jezzz. can you get those floodgates open any wider????


    I could have, but I couldn't think of a way of introducing "little
    boys"(1), PS2s(2) and having "no brain"(3) or the use of "facts"(4) into
    the conversation... I guess I could have said the following.


    "You should have replied little boy(1), as the fact(4) is that "this
    time" you have been provoked unlike "last time" when you took the time
    to step away from your PS2(2) and ruthlessly attached Mr no brain(3) for
    no reason what so ever"
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 19, 2005
    #14
  15. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    thing Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > thing <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>BIG wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>Comments on a few sites state that DL DVD burners are being dropped, the Media
    >>>is far to dear and the hole system of burning DL disk is very unreliable..
    >>>
    >>>Seems like it was only meant for the Lab...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>This a woger posting?
    >>
    >>URLs?
    >>
    >>If I recall correctly the first dvd burners were also a bit of a
    >>inadequate item. DL offers 9Gig of backup, I will get one, once Im happy
    >>they are mature enough for every day use.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    >
    > I would never use a DL burner for data backup only for video..


    Why not?

    What are the alternatives? tapes?

    lets see,

    Aganist tapes.

    These are expensive to buy per media at $30+ each.

    The drives are not cheap,

    Also to guarantee a restore you would need access to 2 tape units in
    case one packs up.

    They are also a slow and sequential technology, need cleaning and are
    not that reliable.

    Single use, backup and restore, thats it.

    For tapes

    Capacity

    Against DVD DL

    limited capacity.

    For DVD DL

    DVD units are cheap to buy

    Media is not that cheap but its price will come down.

    Multi purpose can use to make dvd videos, play dvds, burn cdr(w)s

    fast access, random access.

    Unknowns for both

    Life of media.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jan 19, 2005
    #15
  16. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    thing Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> This a woger posting?

    >
    >
    > Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    > for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them
    > Crap (TM).
    >


    I see woger intends to maintain his high standards for 2005 then.....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jan 19, 2005
    #16
  17. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    thing Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > colinco <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Some balance http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18821

    >
    >
    > "... it will be years before either [Blu-Ray or HD-DVD] replaces the
    > DVD." But that's the DVD format as it stands _now_, where the
    > predominant writable format is single-layer. Now that Blu-Ray drives, at
    > least, are starting to hit the market, DL DVD certainly has an uphill
    > struggle to establish itself. After all, why upgrade to a DL-capable
    > drive when much higher-capacity formats are just around the corner?
    >
    > Also, last I heard, DL discs were not only more expensive than the
    > equivalent number of single-layer discs, they were also slower to write.
    > So there was really no advantage to using them.


    9gig of backup v 4.7.

    DL burners seem to be offered at the approx same price as SL, now while
    I agree 2 x 4.7gig media is cheaper than 1 x 9 gig media, this assumes
    you are stting there ready to change the media over.

    I am looking at a DL burner, initially I will probably just use it in SL
    mode but that extra capacity is a reserve.

    As for why upgrade now, well my CDr drives capacity has long been
    exceeded, Im getting annoyed with making 6 disks + backups x 2 for a off
    site set.

    regards

    thing
    thing, Jan 19, 2005
    #17
  18. On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:58:28 +1300, thing <> wrote:

    >EMB wrote:
    >> thing wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> This a woger posting?

    >>
    >>
    >> Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    >> for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them
    >> Crap (TM).
    >>

    >
    >I see woger intends to maintain his high standards for 2005 then.....
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing




    No the idiot is a Blatant Lyer...

    I have never promoted DL DVD at all.

    Show shows you the sick mentality of the posters here..
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 19, 2005
    #18
  19. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    Axel Guest

    thing wrote:

    > Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> thing <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> BIG wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Comments on a few sites state that DL DVD burners are being dropped,
    >>>> the Media
    >>>> is far to dear and the hole system of burning DL disk is very
    >>>> unreliable..
    >>>>
    >>>> Seems like it was only meant for the Lab...
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> This a woger posting?
    >>>
    >>> URLs?
    >>>
    >>> If I recall correctly the first dvd burners were also a bit of a
    >>> inadequate item. DL offers 9Gig of backup, I will get one, once Im
    >>> happy they are mature enough for every day use.
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing

    >>
    >>
    >> I would never use a DL burner for data backup only for video..

    >
    >
    > Why not?
    >
    > What are the alternatives? tapes?
    >
    > lets see,
    >
    > Aganist tapes.
    >
    > These are expensive to buy per media at $30+ each.
    >
    > The drives are not cheap,
    >
    > Also to guarantee a restore you would need access to 2 tape units in
    > case one packs up.
    >
    > They are also a slow and sequential technology, need cleaning and are
    > not that reliable.
    >
    > Single use, backup and restore, thats it.
    >
    > For tapes
    >
    > Capacity
    >
    > Against DVD DL
    >
    > limited capacity.
    >
    > For DVD DL
    >
    > DVD units are cheap to buy
    >
    > Media is not that cheap but its price will come down.
    >
    > Multi purpose can use to make dvd videos, play dvds, burn cdr(w)s
    >
    > fast access, random access.
    >
    > Unknowns for both
    >
    > Life of media.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing
    >


    Lost the plot there buddy, all Woger seems to be referring to is the
    dual layer enhancement, not the use of dvds.
    Axel, Jan 19, 2005
    #19
  20. BIG Bear      @bearcat.com.au

    thing Guest

    Axel wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >
    >> Mutlley wrote:
    >>
    >>> thing <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> BIG wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Comments on a few sites state that DL DVD burners are being
    >>>>> dropped, the Media
    >>>>> is far to dear and the hole system of burning DL disk is very
    >>>>> unreliable..
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Seems like it was only meant for the Lab...
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> This a woger posting?
    >>>>
    >>>> URLs?
    >>>>
    >>>> If I recall correctly the first dvd burners were also a bit of a
    >>>> inadequate item. DL offers 9Gig of backup, I will get one, once Im
    >>>> happy they are mature enough for every day use.
    >>>>
    >>>> regards
    >>>>
    >>>> Thing
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I would never use a DL burner for data backup only for video..

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Why not?
    >>
    >> What are the alternatives? tapes?
    >>
    >> lets see,
    >>
    >> Aganist tapes.
    >>
    >> These are expensive to buy per media at $30+ each.
    >>
    >> The drives are not cheap,
    >>
    >> Also to guarantee a restore you would need access to 2 tape units in
    >> case one packs up.
    >>
    >> They are also a slow and sequential technology, need cleaning and are
    >> not that reliable.
    >>
    >> Single use, backup and restore, thats it.
    >>
    >> For tapes
    >>
    >> Capacity
    >>
    >> Against DVD DL
    >>
    >> limited capacity.
    >>
    >> For DVD DL
    >>
    >> DVD units are cheap to buy
    >>
    >> Media is not that cheap but its price will come down.
    >>
    >> Multi purpose can use to make dvd videos, play dvds, burn cdr(w)s
    >>
    >> fast access, random access.
    >>
    >> Unknowns for both
    >>
    >> Life of media.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    >
    > Lost the plot there buddy, all Woger seems to be referring to is the
    > dual layer enhancement, not the use of dvds.
    >


    Sorry mis-read you, from what you wrote you seemed to be implying DL dvd
    as a medium was no good for backing up as opposed to tape units.

    I had such a "discussion" with a tape drive seller a few years back.
    tapestor or techpac I think it was, trying to convince me a tape unit
    was the only way to backup as CDrw's were not viable.

    Having had to put up with crappy seagate travans etc I know how
    un-reliable these things are and experience has proved for me anyway
    that CDrs are more reliable.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jan 20, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. David Lee

    Lemon MDG Computer

    David Lee, Apr 10, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,648
    Besucher
    Apr 16, 2007
  2. David Lee

    Lemon MDG Computer

    David Lee, Apr 10, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    515
    WormWood
    Apr 10, 2005
  3. Dan E
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    459
    Dan E
    Jun 6, 2005
  4. Tick Tock

    The New Pioneer DVD 107 a bit of a Lemon..?

    Tick Tock, Mar 6, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    459
    Chris
    Mar 7, 2004
  5. thing

    dual layer dvd burners now under $100!

    thing, Apr 4, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    31
    Views:
    845
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    Apr 8, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page