    company security measures. Any thought and ideas are highly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Ray
    Ray, Aug 7, 2004

  2. You might want to look into wireless game adapters. They allow you to
    connect an ethernet-only device to a wireless network.

    -Yves

    "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > We have wireless LAN in our company. From time to time, we have some

    guests
    > visit our office and request the use of internet connection. I believe
    > wireless LAN is most suitable way for them to get connected to internet

    via

    Yves Konigshofer, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Ray

    Mike Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > We have wireless LAN in our company. From time to time, we have some

    guests
    > visit our office and request the use of internet connection. I believe
    > wireless LAN is most suitable way for them to get connected to internet

    via
    > our LAN. I would like to buy a dongle of wireless adapter for guest use.

    > can preset it for immediate use but cannot resolve the setting on guest's
    > pcs. They may be in different Windows versions. I do not if there is any
    > wireless adapter does not require any driver to be installed on their
    > machines. Some pcs are not allowed to install any driver due to their
    > company security measures. Any thought and ideas are highly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    You might want to consider what you are going to do when someone brings a
    laptop infected with an exploit that will spread thru your network like
    wildfire once it is connected.
    Mike, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Yves,

    Thanks for your idea. However, I have no idea about wireless game adapters.
    Could you please point me out somewhere I can find the information.

    Thanks,

    Ray

    Ray, Aug 8, 2004
  5. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Mike,

    Good point! Obviously, I cannot allow them to connect to our network
    directly. Should I consider to have a computer that has installed workable
    antivirus and ad-ware/spybot to be shared with the guest's pcs. Any other
    idea?

    Thanks,

    Ray

    Ray, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Sure, that's what Linksys calls them and more info can be found on their
    site. Similar devices (also known as wireless/ethernet bridges) can be
    obtained from most other manufacturers as well. These devices are sold so
    that people can hook their PS2s and XBoxes up to their wireless networks.
    I'm not sure if they all support encryption, which may be important.

    As Mike is saying, you should think twice before giving outsiders access to
    your company's network. You never know when a guest is going to
    inadvertently or intentionally cause problems for your network.

    -Yves

    Yves Konigshofer, Aug 8, 2004
  7. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Yves,

    Thanks for your information and I will visit their websites to have a look
    at their products.

    I entirely agree that allowing outsiders to access our network is at a risk
    but as they are our partners or the colleagues of our other offices, we have
    to provide that kind of service as a matter of courtesy. Thus, we need to
    do some preventive measures. Normally, they need to access the internet via
    our gateway and use our network printers. Currently, they are not alllowed
    to access our servers and shared folders on workstations. I believe this is
    a very practical challenge to all administrators nowaday. We cannot simply
    respond to our customer request that you cannot use our company network due
    to security issue.

    Ray, Aug 8, 2004
  8. Ray

    David Reed Guest

    How about a seperate wireless network on a seperate subnet?

    David Reed, Aug 11, 2004
  9. What if he adds the guests to a DMZ port?

    Warren Bryant, Aug 11, 2004