    expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important
    requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

    Wally

    Wally, Oct 8, 2012

  2. Wally

    Bruce Guest

    Wally <> wrote:

    >Am retiring the old ThinkPad and looking for a replacement.
    >
    >The new PC laptop should be fast enough to run Lightroom v4. And the
    >display should be suitable for photography -- wide screen NOT
    >preferred but may be OK as long as it has approx 1050 pixels or more
    >vertically. (The old display was 1400x1050).
    >
    >It would be nice if the new computer was not too heavy, not too
    >expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important
    >requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

    At this time, there is no better laptop for photography than Apple's
    MacBook Pro with the superlative Retina display (2880 x 1800 pixels).
    And you can run Windows applications on it.

    http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

    Bruce, Oct 8, 2012

  3. Wally

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Wally
    <> wrote:

    > Am retiring the old ThinkPad and looking for a replacement.
    >
    > The new PC laptop should be fast enough to run Lightroom v4. And the
    > display should be suitable for photography -- wide screen NOT
    > preferred but may be OK as long as it has approx 1050 pixels or more
    > vertically. (The old display was 1400x1050).
    >
    > It would be nice if the new computer was not too heavy, not too
    > expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important
    > requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

    for the best display, it's the macbook pro with retina display. the
    pixel density is higher than what your eye can resolve, so you won't be
    able to see any jaggies, at all.

    for less money, there's the normal macbook pro, and for less weight,
    the macbook air.

    lightroom will run extremely well on any of them.

    battery life can be as much as 10 hours on a single charge, depending
    on which model and what you do. hard drive is however big you want. you
    can always swap in a larger drive later.

    i'd also wait a week or so, as there are rumours of some new models
    coming soon.

    nospam, Oct 8, 2012
  4. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:48:22 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Wally
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Am retiring the old ThinkPad and looking for a replacement.
    >>
    >> The new PC laptop should be fast enough to run Lightroom v4. And the
    >> display should be suitable for photography -- wide screen NOT
    >> preferred but may be OK as long as it has approx 1050 pixels or more
    >> vertically. (The old display was 1400x1050).
    >>
    >> It would be nice if the new computer was not too heavy, not too
    >> expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important
    >> requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

    >for the best display, it's the macbook pro with retina display. the
    >pixel density is higher than what your eye can resolve, so you won't be
    >able to see any jaggies, at all.
    >
    >for less money, there's the normal macbook pro, and for less weight,
    >the macbook air.
    >
    >lightroom will run extremely well on any of them.
    >
    >battery life can be as much as 10 hours on a single charge, depending
    >on which model and what you do. hard drive is however big you want. you
    >can always swap in a larger drive later.
    >
    >i'd also wait a week or so, as there are rumours of some new models
    >coming soon.

    That's the second recommendation for the Retina.

    I thought you had to have religion to buy a Mac.

    But I have to admit the display looks amazing. It's expensive but not
    totally out of reach.

    Browsing a bit on the web reveals there are Retina issues with
    software support and some other things. Will keep an eye on this...

    Wally

    Wally, Oct 8, 2012
  5. Wally

    Me Guest

    On 9/10/2012 9:18 a.m., Wally wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:48:22 -0400, nospam <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Wally
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Am retiring the old ThinkPad and looking for a replacement.
    >>>
    >>> The new PC laptop should be fast enough to run Lightroom v4. And the
    >>> display should be suitable for photography -- wide screen NOT
    >>> preferred but may be OK as long as it has approx 1050 pixels or more
    >>> vertically. (The old display was 1400x1050).
    >>>
    >>> It would be nice if the new computer was not too heavy, not too
    >>> expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important
    >>> requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

    >> for the best display, it's the macbook pro with retina display. the
    >> pixel density is higher than what your eye can resolve, so you won't be
    >> able to see any jaggies, at all.
    >>
    >> for less money, there's the normal macbook pro, and for less weight,
    >> the macbook air.
    >>
    >> lightroom will run extremely well on any of them.
    >>
    >> battery life can be as much as 10 hours on a single charge, depending
    >> on which model and what you do. hard drive is however big you want. you
    >> can always swap in a larger drive later.
    >>
    >> i'd also wait a week or so, as there are rumours of some new models
    >> coming soon.

    > That's the second recommendation for the Retina.
    >
    > I thought you had to have religion to buy a Mac.
    >
    > But I have to admit the display looks amazing. It's expensive but not
    > totally out of reach.
    >
    > Browsing a bit on the web reveals there are Retina issues with
    > software support and some other things. Will keep an eye on this...
    >
    > Wally

    Anandtech:
    http://www.anandtech.com/
    Might be a useful site, at least for weeding out possible contenders.
    At least some of their reviews will identify laptops with IPS display
    panels, and provide some performance measurements for those panels.

    There were issues with getting MBP retina displays calibrated properly
    with available colorimeter hardware/software, I don't know if that's
    been sorted.
    Calibration is going to be a bit hit and miss anyway, as backlight
    brightness on most latops varies with power (saving) settings etc, and
    ambient light is going to vary depending on where you're using it.

    Me, Oct 8, 2012
  6. Wally

    ray Guest

    Re: Seeking recommendation for Laptop (Windows) suitable forphotography

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:18:34 -0600, Wally wrote:

    > On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:48:22 -0400, nospam <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Wally
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Am retiring the old ThinkPad and looking for a replacement.
    >>>
    >>> The new PC laptop should be fast enough to run Lightroom v4. And the
    >>> display should be suitable for photography -- wide screen NOT
    >>> preferred but may be OK as long as it has approx 1050 pixels or more
    >>> vertically. (The old display was 1400x1050).
    >>>
    >>> It would be nice if the new computer was not too heavy, not too
    >>> expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important
    >>> requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

    >>for the best display, it's the macbook pro with retina display. the
    >>pixel density is higher than what your eye can resolve, so you won't be
    >>able to see any jaggies, at all.
    >>
    >>for less money, there's the normal macbook pro, and for less weight, the
    >>macbook air.
    >>
    >>lightroom will run extremely well on any of them.
    >>
    >>battery life can be as much as 10 hours on a single charge, depending on
    >>which model and what you do. hard drive is however big you want. you can
    >>always swap in a larger drive later.
    >>
    >>i'd also wait a week or so, as there are rumours of some new models
    >>coming soon.

    > That's the second recommendation for the Retina.
    >
    > I thought you had to have religion to buy a Mac.
    >
    > But I have to admit the display looks amazing. It's expensive but not
    > totally out of reach.
    >
    > Browsing a bit on the web reveals there are Retina issues with software
    > support and some other things. Will keep an eye on this...
    >
    > Wally

    A knowledgeable tech should be able to install MS on it for you if that's
    what you really want.

    ray, Oct 8, 2012
  7. Wally

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:18:34 -0600, Wally <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:48:22 -0400, nospam <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Wally
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Am retiring the old ThinkPad and looking for a replacement.
    >>>
    >>> The new PC laptop should be fast enough to run Lightroom v4. And the
    >>> display should be suitable for photography -- wide screen NOT
    >>> preferred but may be OK as long as it has approx 1050 pixels or more
    >>> vertically. (The old display was 1400x1050).
    >>>
    >>> It would be nice if the new computer was not too heavy, not too
    >>> expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important
    >>> requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

    >>for the best display, it's the macbook pro with retina display. the
    >>pixel density is higher than what your eye can resolve, so you won't be
    >>able to see any jaggies, at all.
    >>
    >>for less money, there's the normal macbook pro, and for less weight,
    >>the macbook air.
    >>
    >>lightroom will run extremely well on any of them.
    >>
    >>battery life can be as much as 10 hours on a single charge, depending
    >>on which model and what you do. hard drive is however big you want. you
    >>can always swap in a larger drive later.
    >>
    >>i'd also wait a week or so, as there are rumours of some new models
    >>coming soon.

    >That's the second recommendation for the Retina.
    >
    >I thought you had to have religion to buy a Mac.
    >
    >But I have to admit the display looks amazing. It's expensive

    Damn. I can hear nospam's keyboard clattering from here.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 8, 2012
  8. Wally

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Wally
    <> wrote:

    > >> Am retiring the old ThinkPad and looking for a replacement.
    > >>
    > >> The new PC laptop should be fast enough to run Lightroom v4. And the
    > >> display should be suitable for photography -- wide screen NOT
    > >> preferred but may be OK as long as it has approx 1050 pixels or more
    > >> vertically. (The old display was 1400x1050).
    > >>
    > >> It would be nice if the new computer was not too heavy, not too
    > >> expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important
    > >> requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

    > >for the best display, it's the macbook pro with retina display. the
    > >pixel density is higher than what your eye can resolve, so you won't be
    > >able to see any jaggies, at all.
    > >
    > >for less money, there's the normal macbook pro, and for less weight,
    > >the macbook air.
    > >
    > >lightroom will run extremely well on any of them.
    > >
    > >battery life can be as much as 10 hours on a single charge, depending
    > >on which model and what you do. hard drive is however big you want. you
    > >can always swap in a larger drive later.
    > >
    > >i'd also wait a week or so, as there are rumours of some new models
    > >coming soon.

    > That's the second recommendation for the Retina.
    >
    > I thought you had to have religion to buy a Mac.

    no.

    > But I have to admit the display looks amazing. It's expensive but not
    > totally out of reach.

    you don't have to get the retina model. the non-retina models are also
    good, just not as good. basically, you get what you pay for.

    > Browsing a bit on the web reveals there are Retina issues with
    > software support and some other things. Will keep an eye on this...

    there are two manufacturers of the retina panel itself and one of them
    seems to have more image persistence than normal. in actual use you
    probably won't notice it. as for software support, not all apps fully
    support the retina display, but that's quickly changing. those that
    don't look like they would on a non-retina display unless they do
    something stupid internally about how they render.

    it looks like apple will be moving to retina displays across all
    products, although that will take time for the larger desktop displays.
    pc makers will soon follow.

    nospam, Oct 8, 2012
  9. Wally

    nospam Guest

    In article <k4vdqm$e67$>, Me <>
    wrote:

    > There were issues with getting MBP retina displays calibrated properly
    > with available colorimeter hardware/software, I don't know if that's
    > been sorted.

    minor ones, no different than any other new product.

    keep in mind the retina display is srgb, whereas other laptops are not.

    > Calibration is going to be a bit hit and miss anyway, as backlight
    > brightness on most latops varies with power (saving) settings etc,

    which can be disabled.

    > and
    > ambient light is going to vary depending on where you're using it.

    same as any other system.

    nospam, Oct 8, 2012
  10. Wally

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >That's the second recommendation for the Retina.
    > >
    > >I thought you had to have religion to buy a Mac.
    > >
    > >But I have to admit the display looks amazing. It's expensive

    > Damn. I can hear nospam's keyboard clattering from here.

    can you, now.

    nospam, Oct 8, 2012
  11. Wally

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/8/2012 4:18 PM, Wally wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:48:22 -0400, nospam <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Wally
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Am retiring the old ThinkPad and looking for a replacement.
    >>>
    >>> The new PC laptop should be fast enough to run Lightroom v4. And the
    >>> display should be suitable for photography -- wide screen NOT
    >>> preferred but may be OK as long as it has approx 1050 pixels or more
    >>> vertically. (The old display was 1400x1050).
    >>>
    >>> It would be nice if the new computer was not too heavy, not too
    >>> expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important
    >>> requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

    >> for the best display, it's the macbook pro with retina display. the
    >> pixel density is higher than what your eye can resolve, so you won't be
    >> able to see any jaggies, at all.
    >>
    >> for less money, there's the normal macbook pro, and for less weight,
    >> the macbook air.
    >>
    >> lightroom will run extremely well on any of them.
    >>
    >> battery life can be as much as 10 hours on a single charge, depending
    >> on which model and what you do. hard drive is however big you want. you
    >> can always swap in a larger drive later.
    >>
    >> i'd also wait a week or so, as there are rumours of some new models
    >> coming soon.

    > That's the second recommendation for the Retina.
    >
    > I thought you had to have religion to buy a Mac.
    >
    > But I have to admit the display looks amazing. It's expensive but not
    > totally out of reach.
    >
    > Browsing a bit on the web reveals there are Retina issues with
    > software support and some other things. Will keep an eye on this...

    My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
    images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
    see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
    important to you.)

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 9, 2012
  12. Wally

    nospam Guest

    In article <50735c77$0$4851$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
    > images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
    > see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
    > important to you.)

    it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
    macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

    nospam, Oct 9, 2012
  13. Wally

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/8/2012 7:09 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <50735c77$0$4851$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
    >> images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
    >> see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
    >> important to you.)

    > it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
    > macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

    Perhaps, but not to me.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 9, 2012
  14. nospam <> wrote:

    > In article <50735c77$0$4851$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
    >> images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
    >> see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
    >> important to you.)

    > it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
    > macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

    I find it hard to believe anyone would consider a glossy screen a selling
    point, I assumed it was a technical limitation of some screen types. I have
    a netbook with a glossy screen and it is a royal pain, when I want to watch
    a video I instead find myself watching my own reflection.

    Do retina screen have good viewing angles like IPS panels? Netbook screens
    have terrible viewing angles, it's hard to see the whole screen without
    part of it being too dark or light. The same is true of an Acer pocket PC I
    have which has a Retina-resolution VGA screen (220ppi), its sharpness is
    wonderful but it has uneven brightness across the screen if you hold it too
    close.

    Gordon Freeman, Oct 9, 2012
  15. Wally

    nospam Guest

    In article <XnsA0E7286A6177DC9A7@127.0.0.1>, Gordon Freeman
    <> wrote:

    > >> My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
    > >> images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
    > >> see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
    > >> important to you.)

    > > it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
    > > macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

    > I find it hard to believe anyone would consider a glossy screen a selling
    > point, I assumed it was a technical limitation of some screen types. I have
    > a netbook with a glossy screen and it is a royal pain, when I want to watch
    > a video I instead find myself watching my own reflection.

    i agree, but it's what sells. apple used to make both glossy and matte,
    then they offered matte as an option and now it's glossy only. many
    competitors are glossy.

    there are definitely those who want matte, but not as many as who buy
    glossy (or they don't care what they get). glossy has more zing to it,
    but the glare can be a problem. as i said, the retina macbook is not as
    glossy as some other glossy displays, but it's definitely not matte.

    > Do retina screen have good viewing angles like IPS panels?

    the retina display *is* an ips panel, the same as a desktop ips display.

    > Netbook screens
    > have terrible viewing angles, it's hard to see the whole screen without
    > part of it being too dark or light. The same is true of an Acer pocket PC I
    > have which has a Retina-resolution VGA screen (220ppi), its sharpness is
    > wonderful but it has uneven brightness across the screen if you hold it too
    > close.

    that's one way they get the price so low, by using crappy displays.
    some are really quite bad.

    nospam, Oct 9, 2012
  16. Wally

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, ray <>
    wrote:

    > A knowledgeable tech should be able to install MS on it for you if that's
    > what you really want.

    knowledgeable tech? seriously? you must be kidding.

    anyone can install windows on a mac (or a windows pc for that matter).
    all that's needed is double-click boot camp assistant for dual booting
    or get vmware/parallels for virtualization. you can even do both.

    nospam, Oct 9, 2012
  17. Wally

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Monday, October 8, 2012 7:13:38 PM UTC+1, Bruce wrote:
    > Wally <> wrote:
    >

    > >Am retiring the old ThinkPad and looking for a replacement.

    > >The new PC laptop should be fast enough to run Lightroom v4. And the

    > >display should be suitable for photography -- wide screen NOT

    > >preferred but may be OK as long as it has approx 1050 pixels or more

    > >vertically. (The old display was 1400x1050).

    > >It would be nice if the new computer was not too heavy, not too

    > >expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important

    > >requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

    > At this time, there is no better laptop for photography than Apple's
    >
    > MacBook Pro with the superlative Retina display (2880 x 1800 pixels).
    >
    > And you can run Windows applications on it.

    It's a nice laptop for sure, but I doubt it comes under the not too expensive catogaory asked for ;-)

    If you do get one make sure you go through the correct procedures for installing windows.

    http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-windows-7-on-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-tutorial/

    Whisky-dave, Oct 9, 2012
  18. Wally

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/8/2012 10:58 PM, Gordon Freeman wrote:
    > nospam <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <50735c77$0$4851$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
    >>> images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
    >>> see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
    >>> important to you.)

    >> it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
    >> macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

    > I find it hard to believe anyone would consider a glossy screen a selling
    > point, I assumed it was a technical limitation of some screen types. I have
    > a netbook with a glossy screen and it is a royal pain, when I want to watch
    > a video I instead find myself watching my own reflection.
    >
    > Do retina screen have good viewing angles like IPS panels? Netbook screens
    > have terrible viewing angles, it's hard to see the whole screen without
    > part of it being too dark or light. The same is true of an Acer pocket PC I
    > have which has a Retina-resolution VGA screen (220ppi), its sharpness is
    > wonderful but it has uneven brightness across the screen if you hold it too
    > close.

    the best way is not to believe the VS. Go look at the screens,so you can
    understand what I was talking about earlier.
    BTW My Think Pad, which is an old model is still decent for PS CS6,
    although a tad slow. I can't use it for critical work, but for rough
    edits, it works for me.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 9, 2012
  19. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 07:58:13 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >BTW My Think Pad, which is an old model is still decent for PS CS6,
    >although a tad slow. I can't use it for critical work, but for rough
    >edits, it works for me.

    I've got the T61. Haven't tried PS or LR, but it runs Picasa v3.3 so
    slow, I had to uninstall it and and go back to v3.0.

    Wally

    Wally, Oct 9, 2012
  20. Wally

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/9/2012 10:31 AM, Wally wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 07:58:13 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> BTW My Think Pad, which is an old model is still decent for PS CS6,
    >> although a tad slow. I can't use it for critical work, but for rough
    >> edits, it works for me.

    > I've got the T61. Haven't tried PS or LR, but it runs Picasa v3.3 so
    > slow, I had to uninstall it and and go back to v3.0.

    I use mine mainly when I travel. I like to download files from my cards
    to a portable HD. And I can also do rough edits. the keyboard, battery
    and fan are on the way out. However, while it is not very fast, it
    serves my purpose.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 9, 2012