    have seen many units advertised.

    Any suggestions on how/what to select would be most appreciated.

    Thank you!

    ct, May 8, 2004

  2. ct

    S.Heenan Guest

    ct wrote:
    > I would like to buy my son a DVD burner as a birthday gift, to be used
    > in a 2 year old Dell desktop PC. I am only vaguely familiar with the
    > various industry recording formats and I am unsure which one I should
    > buy. I would like it to cost less than ~$150, a price point where I
    > have seen many units advertised.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how/what to select would be most appreciated.

    Pioneer DVR-107D OEM $104US
    NEC ND-2500A OEM $92US
    Lite-On 812S OEM $92

    All are DVD±R/RW drives, meaning they will burn 8x DVD+R and DVD-R discs,
    and DVD±RW discs at 4x speed. All three will also burn CD-R and CD-RW media.

    Buy a small quantity of brand name DVD-R media to test for compatability.
    That way you're not stuck with a box if the burner doesn't like the media.

    S.Heenan, May 8, 2004