    Thank you,
    WT Pfefferle
    Georgetown Review

    WT Pfefferle, Jul 30, 2004

  2. WT Pfefferle

    Bob Brogan Guest

    In article <>,
    (WT Pfefferle) wrote:

    > Georgetown Review, a small literary magazine in central Kentucky, is
    > seeking photo submissions on the topics of "vocation" or "career" for
    > possible cover or back cover use on our 2005 issue.
    >
    > We can only pay in 2 free copies of the finished journal.
    >
    > Please submit JPG images (smaller than 300k) to
    > along with a brief note and credits. (A full size image file will be
    > requested upon acceptance for publication.)
    >
    > We are accepting submissions between now and February 1st, 2005.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > WT Pfefferle
    > Georgetown Review

    Lets see, you pay the writers, editors, prepress and printer and you
    want the photographer to work for a tear sheet.

    Your magazine doesnt' have any weight to be worth being published in.

    --
    Thanks,
    Ham

    Bob Brogan, Jul 31, 2004

  3. WT Pfefferle

    Charlie Self Guest

    Bob Brogan responds:

    >> Georgetown Review, a small literary magazine in central Kentucky, is
    >> seeking photo submissions on the topics of "vocation" or "career" for
    >> possible cover or back cover use on our 2005 issue.
    >>
    >> We can only pay in 2 free copies of the finished journal.
    >>
    >> Please submit JPG images (smaller than 300k) to
    >> along with a brief note and credits. (A full size image file will be
    >> requested upon acceptance for publication.)
    >>
    >> We are accepting submissions between now and February 1st, 2005.
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> WT Pfefferle
    >> Georgetown Review

    >Lets see, you pay the writers, editors, prepress and printer and you
    >want the photographer to work for a tear sheet.
    >
    >Your magazine doesnt' have any weight to be worth being published in.

    I agree with your last statement, but my bet is that they pay the printer,
    don't do much prepress, and have editors who are paid nothing or work for very
    little. Writers for these 'literary" journals also get bupkes.

    I'm a freelance writer, with about 2000 articles and 40 books on my resume, and
    I've ranted against these "work for zip" publications for ages. Others
    disagree, saying that the experience is good, and you get guidance. IMO, the
    people editing these magazines can't guide anyone anywhere...their use of
    language is usually affected and inflated and incorrect, their ideas of layout
    few and far between, and their publishing skills on the order of their language
    use.

    Charlie Self
    "Did you know that the White House drug test is multiple choice?" Rush Limbaugh

    Charlie Self, Jul 31, 2004
  4. WT Pfefferle

    WT Pfefferle Guest

    Bob Brogan <> wrote in message news:<Ham-

    > Lets see, you pay the writers, editors, prepress and printer and you
    > want the photographer to work for a tear sheet.
    >
    > Your magazine doesnt' have any weight to be worth being published in.

    Bob,

    We pay writers who get into the magazine one copy of the journal. We
    have two editors who get no money whatsoever and put in hundreds of
    hours a year reading and editing manuscripts. We have no advertising
    and go into debt on every single issue. Occasionally we get a grant
    from an educational body that allows us to distribute the magazine to
    a few more libraries.

    In 20 years in small press publishing or literary magazine editing,
    I've never been in the black once, not even for a moment.

    I love giving artists of all kinds the chance to have their work a
    little more widely distributed.

    I certainly didn't mean for anyone to take offense. A number of folk
    from this group have submitted work already and I thank them.

    Best,
    WT

    WT Pfefferle, Jul 31, 2004