Seeking photo "developing" software

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Ciszek, May 28, 2012.

  1. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    I am seeking a program for "developing" raw photo files that will allow
    me to do the following:

    * Import RW2 files from my Panasonic camera, or else work with the 16-
    bit-per-channel TIFFs that SILKYPIX can export.

    * Actually do the work in a color space with more dynamic range than
    8 bits per channel

    * Separate out a single color channel to form a greyscale image

    * Allow me to do a totally arbitrary, gonzo, balls-to-the-wall contrast
    adjustment on said greyscale image.

    SILKYPIX can import my RW2 and export them as 16-bit-per-channel TIFFs,
    but it cannot do color separation and its contrast adjustment appears
    to be limited to "reasonable" values. (If someone could show me how to
    take the "reasonable" restrictions off and do severe contrast adjustment
    in SILKYPIX, I would be grateful.) GIMP does color separation and is
    willing to do any contrast changes you ask for, but it can only handle
    8 bits per channel, so blowing up the contrast is really just a form of
    posterizing.

    Photoshop probably does what I want, but it does so much more as well
    and is priced accordingly.

    The point of all this: I got a fairly sharp picture of the sun
    with sunspots on May 20th:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35853148@N05/7255502798/

    Now, the sun is basically a big disk of brightness in this picture.
    I think there is more interesting detail that could be extracted if
    I could exaggerate the contrast around a point fairly high on the
    brightness scale, i.e., "If any pixel is brighter or dimmer than
    85% of full scale, I want to make it a LOT brighter or dimmer than
    85% of full scale." SILKYPIX won't let me do this. Even if there
    isn't any more detail to be extracted from this picture, I want to
    have the ability to mutilate my pictures as I damn well please, on
    general principles.

    So, anybody know any good photo processing programs? Running under
    Linux is a plus, but I am realistic as to the odds of *that* happening.

    --
    Please reply to: | No nation is drunken where wine is cheap.
    pciszek at panix dot com | --Thomas Jefferson

    Paul Ciszek, May 28, 2012

  2. Paul Ciszek

    nospam Guest

    In article <jq0a1f$5lo$>, Paul Ciszek
    <> wrote:

    > I am seeking a program for "developing" raw photo files that will allow
    > me to do the following:
    >
    > * Import RW2 files from my Panasonic camera, or else work with the 16-
    > bit-per-channel TIFFs that SILKYPIX can export.
    >
    > * Actually do the work in a color space with more dynamic range than
    > 8 bits per channel
    >
    > * Separate out a single color channel to form a greyscale image
    >
    > * Allow me to do a totally arbitrary, gonzo, balls-to-the-wall contrast
    > adjustment on said greyscale image.

    photoshop or lightroom can easily do that. lightroom's standard colour
    space is pro photo rgb and photoshop is user selectable.

    > SILKYPIX can import my RW2 and export them as 16-bit-per-channel TIFFs,
    > but it cannot do color separation and its contrast adjustment appears
    > to be limited to "reasonable" values. (If someone could show me how to
    > take the "reasonable" restrictions off and do severe contrast adjustment
    > in SILKYPIX, I would be grateful.) GIMP does color separation and is
    > willing to do any contrast changes you ask for, but it can only handle
    > 8 bits per channel, so blowing up the contrast is really just a form of
    > posterizing.
    >
    > Photoshop probably does what I want, but it does so much more as well
    > and is priced accordingly.

    lightroom is cheap and photoshop elements is even cheaper and often
    bundled for free with hardware. why do people insist on comparing the
    price of the full photoshop when all they need is elements?

    nospam, May 28, 2012

  3. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <280520121000269081%>,
    nospam <> wrote:
    >In article <jq0a1f$5lo$>, Paul Ciszek
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I am seeking a program for "developing" raw photo files that will allow
    >> me to do the following:
    >>
    >> * Import RW2 files from my Panasonic camera, or else work with the 16-
    >> bit-per-channel TIFFs that SILKYPIX can export.
    >>
    >> * Actually do the work in a color space with more dynamic range than
    >> 8 bits per channel
    >>
    >> * Separate out a single color channel to form a greyscale image
    >>
    >> * Allow me to do a totally arbitrary, gonzo, balls-to-the-wall contrast
    >> adjustment on said greyscale image.

    >photoshop or lightroom can easily do that. lightroom's standard colour
    >space is pro photo rgb and photoshop is user selectable.

    Thank you. Does either support RW2? Hell, does anyone besides Panasonic
    even know about RW2?

    >> Photoshop probably does what I want, but it does so much more as well
    >> and is priced accordingly.

    >lightroom is cheap and photoshop elements is even cheaper and often
    >bundled for free with hardware. why do people insist on comparing the
    >price of the full photoshop when all they need is elements?

    Do you think Elements will do all of the items on my list?

    --
    Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
    pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor

    Paul Ciszek, May 28, 2012
  4. Paul Ciszek

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 28 May 2012 in rec.photo.digital, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > Thank you. Does either support RW2? Hell, does anyone besides
    > Panasonic even know about RW2?

    Have you looked at UFRaw* and/or TheGIMP (which uses UFRaw for raw
    conversion)? Both are open source/GPL/free (as in beer).

    http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

    http://www.gimp.org/

    * they list a whole bunch of Panasonics on their site...

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

    Joe Makowiec, May 28, 2012
  5. Paul Ciszek

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    Joe Makowiec, May 28, 2012
  6. Paul Ciszek

    nospam Guest

    In article <XnsA0618CA0EF3B4makowiecatnycapdotrE@88.198.244.100>, Joe
    Makowiec <> wrote:

    > > Thank you. Does either support RW2? Hell, does anyone besides
    > > Panasonic even know about RW2?

    > Have you looked at UFRaw* and/or TheGIMP (which uses UFRaw for raw
    > conversion)?

    he said he tried the gimp and it didn't do what he needed.

    > Both are open source/GPL/free (as in beer).

    who cares. how does open source help in doing what he needs? do you
    expect him to write his own filters???

    nospam, May 28, 2012
  7. Paul Ciszek

    nospam Guest

    In article <jq0cn5$p18$>, Paul Ciszek
    <> wrote:

    > >> I am seeking a program for "developing" raw photo files that will allow
    > >> me to do the following:
    > >>
    > >> * Import RW2 files from my Panasonic camera, or else work with the 16-
    > >> bit-per-channel TIFFs that SILKYPIX can export.
    > >>
    > >> * Actually do the work in a color space with more dynamic range than
    > >> 8 bits per channel
    > >>
    > >> * Separate out a single color channel to form a greyscale image
    > >>
    > >> * Allow me to do a totally arbitrary, gonzo, balls-to-the-wall contrast
    > >> adjustment on said greyscale image.

    > >photoshop or lightroom can easily do that. lightroom's standard colour
    > >space is pro photo rgb and photoshop is user selectable.

    > Thank you. Does either support RW2? Hell, does anyone besides Panasonic
    > even know about RW2?

    from what i read it does. both use camera raw and the list of supported
    cameras is here:
    <http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.html>

    > >> Photoshop probably does what I want, but it does so much more as well
    > >> and is priced accordingly.

    > >lightroom is cheap and photoshop elements is even cheaper and often
    > >bundled for free with hardware. why do people insist on comparing the
    > >price of the full photoshop when all they need is elements?

    > Do you think Elements will do all of the items on my list?

    absolutely. the difference between elements and the full photoshop is
    elements doesn't have features that non-pro users will ever use and
    nothing you listed is among them.

    nospam, May 28, 2012
  8. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    Joe Makowiec <> wrote:
    >On 28 May 2012 in rec.photo.digital, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you. Does either support RW2? Hell, does anyone besides
    >> Panasonic even know about RW2?

    >Have you looked at UFRaw* and/or TheGIMP (which uses UFRaw for raw
    >conversion)? Both are open source/GPL/free (as in beer).

    I downloaded the add-ons that were supposed to allow GIMP to import
    my RAW photo files, and it *still* didn't know what to do with them.
    I also tried importing 16-bit-per-channel TIFFs, and it told me GIMP
    had an 8-bit-per-channel internal colorspace. But then, I was doing
    all of this while booted in Linux. Does Windows GIMP do better?

    >* they list a whole bunch of Panasonics on their site...

    Maybe I am doing something wrong. I frequently install an add-on,
    only to be told that I still need to install it.

    Paul Ciszek, May 28, 2012
  9. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <280520121058318178%>,
    nospam <> wrote:
    >In article <XnsA0618CA0EF3B4makowiecatnycapdotrE@88.198.244.100>, Joe
    >Makowiec <> wrote:
    >
    >> > Thank you. Does either support RW2? Hell, does anyone besides
    >> > Panasonic even know about RW2?

    >> Have you looked at UFRaw* and/or TheGIMP (which uses UFRaw for raw
    >> conversion)?

    >he said he tried the gimp and it didn't do what he needed.

    It is possible that I am mis-using GIMP.

    >> Both are open source/GPL/free (as in beer).

    >who cares. how does open source help in doing what he needs? do you
    >expect him to write his own filters???

    Since I do as much in Linux as possible (currently, I only boot Windows
    to run SILYPIX), the existance of open source is at least encouraging--
    it means that someone just might be geeky enough to make a Linux version.

    Paul Ciszek, May 28, 2012
  10. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <280520121058348344%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    >> Do you think Elements will do all of the items on my list?

    >absolutely. the difference between elements and the full photoshop is
    >elements doesn't have features that non-pro users will ever use and
    >nothing you listed is among them.

    Again, thank you.

    Paul Ciszek, May 28, 2012
  11. Paul Ciszek

    nospam Guest

    In article <jq0fnu$5o4$>, Paul Ciszek
    <> wrote:

    > >> Have you looked at UFRaw* and/or TheGIMP (which uses UFRaw for raw
    > >> conversion)?

    > >he said he tried the gimp and it didn't do what he needed.

    > It is possible that I am mis-using GIMP.

    could be, but the gimp is roughly where photoshop was ten years ago. it
    *still* doesn't have adjustment layers, it's stuck at 8 bit and its raw
    processing (via ufraw) is slow and not as good as camera raw.

    > >> Both are open source/GPL/free (as in beer).

    > >who cares. how does open source help in doing what he needs? do you
    > >expect him to write his own filters???

    > Since I do as much in Linux as possible (currently, I only boot Windows
    > to run SILYPIX), the existance of open source is at least encouraging--
    > it means that someone just might be geeky enough to make a Linux version.

    why wait, when solutions exist?

    nospam, May 28, 2012
  12. Paul Ciszek

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 28/05/2012 17:44, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > I am seeking a program for "developing" raw photo files that will allow
    > me to do the following:
    >
    > * Import RW2 files from my Panasonic camera, or else work with the 16-
    > bit-per-channel TIFFs that SILKYPIX can export.
    >
    > * Actually do the work in a color space with more dynamic range than
    > 8 bits per channel
    >
    > * Separate out a single color channel to form a greyscale image
    >
    > * Allow me to do a totally arbitrary, gonzo, balls-to-the-wall contrast
    > adjustment on said greyscale image.
    >
    > SILKYPIX can import my RW2 and export them as 16-bit-per-channel TIFFs,
    > but it cannot do color separation and its contrast adjustment appears
    > to be limited to "reasonable" values. (If someone could show me how to
    > take the "reasonable" restrictions off and do severe contrast adjustment
    > in SILKYPIX, I would be grateful.) GIMP does color separation and is
    > willing to do any contrast changes you ask for, but it can only handle
    > 8 bits per channel, so blowing up the contrast is really just a form of
    > posterizing.
    >
    > Photoshop probably does what I want, but it does so much more as well
    > and is priced accordingly.
    >
    > The point of all this: I got a fairly sharp picture of the sun
    > with sunspots on May 20th:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/35853148@N05/7255502798/
    >
    > Now, the sun is basically a big disk of brightness in this picture.
    > I think there is more interesting detail that could be extracted if
    > I could exaggerate the contrast around a point fairly high on the
    > brightness scale, i.e., "If any pixel is brighter or dimmer than
    > 85% of full scale, I want to make it a LOT brighter or dimmer than
    > 85% of full scale." SILKYPIX won't let me do this. Even if there
    > isn't any more detail to be extracted from this picture, I want to
    > have the ability to mutilate my pictures as I damn well please, on
    > general principles.
    >
    > So, anybody know any good photo processing programs? Running under
    > Linux is a plus, but I am realistic as to the odds of *that* happening.

    Your best bet for this is look for astronomical imaging software
    provided you are prepared to work on each colour image seperately. They
    generally work in monochrome 12 or 16 bits per pixel and will allow
    arbitrary histogram and contrast curve enhancements. You will need to go
    through some common format between the two packages .BMP or .PNG.

    Some must be free but off hand I don't know which ones are decent.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, May 28, 2012
  13. Paul Ciszek

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 28 May 2012 16:44:31 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > I am seeking a program for "developing" raw photo files that will allow
    > me to do the following:
    >
    > * Import RW2 files from my Panasonic camera, or else work with the 16-
    > bit-per-channel TIFFs that SILKYPIX can export.
    >
    > * Actually do the work in a color space with more dynamic range than
    > 8 bits per channel
    >
    > * Separate out a single color channel to form a greyscale image
    >
    > * Allow me to do a totally arbitrary, gonzo, balls-to-the-wall contrast
    > adjustment on said greyscale image.
    >
    > SILKYPIX can import my RW2 and export them as 16-bit-per-channel TIFFs,
    > but it cannot do color separation and its contrast adjustment appears to
    > be limited to "reasonable" values. (If someone could show me how to
    > take the "reasonable" restrictions off and do severe contrast adjustment
    > in SILKYPIX, I would be grateful.) GIMP does color separation and is
    > willing to do any contrast changes you ask for, but it can only handle 8
    > bits per channel, so blowing up the contrast is really just a form of
    > posterizing.
    >
    > Photoshop probably does what I want, but it does so much more as well
    > and is priced accordingly.
    >
    > The point of all this: I got a fairly sharp picture of the sun with
    > sunspots on May 20th:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/35853148@N05/7255502798/
    >
    > Now, the sun is basically a big disk of brightness in this picture. I
    > think there is more interesting detail that could be extracted if I
    > could exaggerate the contrast around a point fairly high on the
    > brightness scale, i.e., "If any pixel is brighter or dimmer than 85% of
    > full scale, I want to make it a LOT brighter or dimmer than 85% of full
    > scale." SILKYPIX won't let me do this. Even if there isn't any more
    > detail to be extracted from this picture, I want to have the ability to
    > mutilate my pictures as I damn well please, on general principles.
    >
    > So, anybody know any good photo processing programs? Running under
    > Linux is a plus, but I am realistic as to the odds of *that* happening.

    ufraw and photoxx.

    ray, May 28, 2012
  14. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    C. Neil Ellwood <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 28 May 2012 17:49:29 +0000, Joe Makowiec wrote:
    >
    >> On 28 May 2012 in rec.photo.digital, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thank you. Does either support RW2? Hell, does anyone besides
    >>> Panasonic even know about RW2?

    >> Have you looked at UFRaw* and/or TheGIMP (which uses UFRaw for raw
    >> conversion)? Both are open source/GPL/free (as in beer).
    >>
    >> http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> http://www.gimp.org/
    >>
    >> * they list a whole bunch of Panasonics on their site...

    >There is also RawStudio and RawTherapee both very good prog. I don't know
    >how many dists. have them in their repositories but Fedora does.

    Hmmm. I am using Ubuntu; I searched for RawStudio in the package manager,
    found it, but when I tried to install it got a 404. So I updated my
    repositories, and now I can't find it at all.

    Paul Ciszek, May 30, 2012
  15. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    C. Neil Ellwood <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 30 May 2012 09:06:48 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm. I am using Ubuntu; I searched for RawStudio in the package
    >> manager,
    >> found it, but when I tried to install it got a 404. So I updated my
    >> repositories, and now I can't find it at all.

    >google for it and install from thier site.

    I added the right repositories, got Synaptic to know rawstudio was there,
    and when I tried to install it, got this error message:

    rawstudio:
    Depends: libflickcurl0 but it is not installable

    Paul Ciszek, Jun 2, 2012