Seeking lawyer in the UK

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. I'm looking for a lawyer who would be prepared to take on a local
    council and not charge me for their services, don't laugh, there are
    apparently plenty of them out there who take on cases and don't charge
    the client.
    What's my beef?
    A council who feels they can act outside the law.
    Failure to meet legislation requirements of a 7 day notice on a motor
    vehicle warning of their intentions to remove and sell/destroy said vehicle.
    Issuing a 24 hour notice (instead of 7 days) on a vehicle not on the
    queens highway.
    I had already spoken to the issuing office on a couple of occasions and
    they told me that my vehicle would not be served, and that I could leave
    it where it was.
    Prompt removal (3 hours) of the vehicle without police authorization.
    Issuing officer was not working the following day so ordered it's
    immediate removal.
    After it's removal (but before I saw it was removed), the issuing
    officer told me that if I get a SORN he would arrange to have the car
    left alone. I do have a SORN.
    Breaching civil rights by ordering me to sign a document stating that I
    will ensure that same vehicle will have tax insurance and MOT before
    they will permit it's release from the car pound.
    The police took a report of a stolen vehicle, had I been in the wrong
    they would not have taken said report.
    The DVLA also accepted my report of the vehicles theft.
    The firm that removed the vehicle said they shouldn't have removed it
    promptly, but as the council paid them to do the job they just did as
    they were told.
    The Local Government Ombudsman acted in favour of the council, but a
    supervisor agreed that I was right, but she showed she was too weak to
    stand up to him and tell him to review the case.
    The LGO refused to forward my appeal to an outside source, even though I
    had been told that was what would happen.
    I originally brought this up in the House of Commons, and got support
    from an MP.
    I wonder if the Labour Govt would like to take on the local council
    involved, seeing as the Council is run by Lib Dems.

    Local govt empowers itself far too easily, regardless of the pristine
    condition of a vehicle (in my case, photographic evidence taken by the
    issuing officer), they only have to say that they "think" a vehicle
    "may" be abandoned and they get to take on all sorts of magical powers.
    I let a tyre down whilst it was in the residents car park so that
    joy-riders wouldn't steal it and kill someone, and he decided to use the
    flat tyre as a sign of abandonment.

    :)
    Brian

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 21, 2006

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Mr User Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > I'm looking for a lawyer who would be prepared to take on a local
    > council and not charge me for their services, don't laugh, there are
    > apparently plenty of them out there who take on cases and don't charge
    > the client.

    <snip>

    Your first course of action would be to speak with the local CAB
    (Citizens Advice Bureau)
    http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

    Mr User, Sep 21, 2006

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-21, Brian H¹© <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for a lawyer who would be prepared to take on a local
    > council and not charge me for their services, don't laugh, there are
    > apparently plenty of them out there who take on cases and don't charge
    > the client.

    snip

    Try asking in the newsgroup uk.legal

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 21, 2006
  4. "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a lawyer who would be prepared to take on a local council
    > and not charge me for their services, don't laugh, there are apparently
    > plenty of them out there who take on cases and don't charge the client.
    > What's my beef?
    > A council who feels they can act outside the law.
    > Failure to meet legislation requirements of a 7 day notice on a motor
    > vehicle warning of their intentions to remove and sell/destroy said
    > vehicle.
    > Issuing a 24 hour notice (instead of 7 days) on a vehicle not on the
    > queens highway.
    > I had already spoken to the issuing office on a couple of occasions and
    > they told me that my vehicle would not be served, and that I could leave
    > it where it was.
    > Prompt removal (3 hours) of the vehicle without police authorization.
    > Issuing officer was not working the following day so ordered it's
    > immediate removal.
    > After it's removal (but before I saw it was removed), the issuing officer
    > told me that if I get a SORN he would arrange to have the car left alone.
    > I do have a SORN.
    > Breaching civil rights by ordering me to sign a document stating that I
    > will ensure that same vehicle will have tax insurance and MOT before they
    > will permit it's release from the car pound.
    > The police took a report of a stolen vehicle, had I been in the wrong they
    > would not have taken said report.
    > The DVLA also accepted my report of the vehicles theft.
    > The firm that removed the vehicle said they shouldn't have removed it
    > promptly, but as the council paid them to do the job they just did as they
    > were told.
    > The Local Government Ombudsman acted in favour of the council, but a
    > supervisor agreed that I was right, but she showed she was too weak to
    > stand up to him and tell him to review the case.
    > The LGO refused to forward my appeal to an outside source, even though I
    > had been told that was what would happen.
    > I originally brought this up in the House of Commons, and got support from
    > an MP.
    > I wonder if the Labour Govt would like to take on the local council
    > involved, seeing as the Council is run by Lib Dems.
    >
    > Local govt empowers itself far too easily, regardless of the pristine
    > condition of a vehicle (in my case, photographic evidence taken by the
    > issuing officer), they only have to say that they "think" a vehicle "may"
    > be abandoned and they get to take on all sorts of magical powers.
    > I let a tyre down whilst it was in the residents car park so that
    > joy-riders wouldn't steal it and kill someone, and he decided to use the
    > flat tyre as a sign of abandonment.
    >
    > :)
    > Brian

    Too bad you let your liberal politicians take all your guns away and disarm
    the populace.

    Otherwise you and your mates could march quickstep on Government House with
    arms shouldered and pipes swirling and intimidate the bloody hell out of
    them ;-)

    Douglas

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Sep 21, 2006
  5. Brian H¹© wrote:

    <snipped story>

    > :)
    > Brian

    I can't believe you're still smiling. I'd be spitting nails.

    Good luck, Brian.

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Happiness limits the amount of suffering one is
    willing to inflict on others. Phèdre nó Delaunay

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Sep 21, 2006
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    piltdown Guest

    Sounds to me as if the local authority
    acted perfectly sensibly. Anyway, what
    have you got against paying a lawyer?
    Do you not expect to be paid for your
    service?

    piltdown, Sep 22, 2006
  7. piltdown wrote:
    > Sounds to me as if the local authority
    > acted perfectly sensibly. Anyway, what

    So you are saying that it's ok for them to ignore legislation and break
    the law.

    > have you got against paying a lawyer?

    I have nothing against paying a lawyer, I'm just looking for one that
    might just ask a nominal fee but will not charge for their time.
    There are those that do actually take on work of this type.

    > Do you not expect to be paid for your
    > service?

    I'm only dealing with one issue here, there are a number of services
    that I am being charged for yet not receiving from the same council.
    Their financial corruption is another ball game with me.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 22, 2006