Seeking ideas for spare HDDs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Evil Bastard, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Hi,

    My linux machine has a single 120GB disk, containing the swap, boot, usr
    etc partitions, plus a CD burner (allowing 2 spare IDE slots).

    I've got 4 spare HDDs, of sizes 26GB, 40GB, 60GB and 120GB.

    What's a cheap way to make good use of all these drives (apart from
    buying a mobo/case with 3 IDE controllers, or a RAID etc)?

    I bought a removable drive cradle, but this is somewhat limited because
    IDEs can't hotplug on common mobos.

    All creative/constructive ideas appreciated.

    One thing that comes to my mind is to get a cheap box on trademe and set
    it up as a headless LAN fileserver.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Evil Bastard

    steve Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My linux machine has a single 120GB disk, containing the swap, boot, usr
    > etc partitions, plus a CD burner (allowing 2 spare IDE slots).
    >
    > I've got 4 spare HDDs, of sizes 26GB, 40GB, 60GB and 120GB.
    >
    > What's a cheap way to make good use of all these drives (apart from
    > buying a mobo/case with 3 IDE controllers, or a RAID etc)?
    >
    > I bought a removable drive cradle, but this is somewhat limited because
    > IDEs can't hotplug on common mobos.
    >
    > All creative/constructive ideas appreciated.
    >
    > One thing that comes to my mind is to get a cheap box on trademe and set
    > it up as a headless LAN fileserver.

    You can buy a PCI IDE controller that will take 2 x 2 drives.....but
    then your issue will be power.

    If oyu buy a second power supply and mount it on an external <something>
    (a peice of metal or wood), then you should be able to plug those extra
    disks into it.

    steve, Sep 4, 2004

  3. Evil Bastard

    E. Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My linux machine has a single 120GB disk, containing the swap, boot, usr
    > etc partitions, plus a CD burner (allowing 2 spare IDE slots).
    >
    > I've got 4 spare HDDs, of sizes 26GB, 40GB, 60GB and 120GB.
    >
    > What's a cheap way to make good use of all these drives (apart from
    > buying a mobo/case with 3 IDE controllers, or a RAID etc)?
    >
    > I bought a removable drive cradle, but this is somewhat limited because
    > IDEs can't hotplug on common mobos.
    >
    > All creative/constructive ideas appreciated.
    >
    > One thing that comes to my mind is to get a cheap box on trademe and set
    > it up as a headless LAN fileserver.

    Backup drives using USB cases.
    Novelty ashtrays (use the magnets for magnet darts)
    Get an el cheapo ITX and build an MP3 jukebox.
    E.

    E., Sep 4, 2004
  4. In article <tGj_c.21755$>,
    Evil Bastard <> wrote:

    >My linux machine has a single 120GB disk, containing the swap, boot, usr
    >etc partitions, plus a CD burner (allowing 2 spare IDE slots).
    >
    >I've got 4 spare HDDs, of sizes 26GB, 40GB, 60GB and 120GB.
    >
    >What's a cheap way to make good use of all these drives (apart from
    >buying a mobo/case with 3 IDE controllers, or a RAID etc)?
    >
    >I bought a removable drive cradle, but this is somewhat limited because
    >IDEs can't hotplug on common mobos.

    Put them in external FireWire enclosures. Then you can hot-plug them and
    still access them at something close to their full bandwidth.

    You could also use USB, but that's slower.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 4, 2004
  5. Evil Bastard

    Steve Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My linux machine has a single 120GB disk, containing the swap, boot, usr
    > etc partitions, plus a CD burner (allowing 2 spare IDE slots).
    >
    > I've got 4 spare HDDs, of sizes 26GB, 40GB, 60GB and 120GB.
    >
    > What's a cheap way to make good use of all these drives (apart from
    > buying a mobo/case with 3 IDE controllers, or a RAID etc)?
    >
    > I bought a removable drive cradle, but this is somewhat limited because
    > IDEs can't hotplug on common mobos.
    >
    > All creative/constructive ideas appreciated.
    >
    > One thing that comes to my mind is to get a cheap box on trademe and set
    > it up as a headless LAN fileserver.

    Software raid with the 120GB for a start...

    Steve

    Steve, Sep 4, 2004
  6. Evil Bastard

    Harry Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My linux machine has a single 120GB disk, containing the swap, boot, usr
    > etc partitions, plus a CD burner (allowing 2 spare IDE slots).
    >
    > I've got 4 spare HDDs, of sizes 26GB, 40GB, 60GB and 120GB.
    >
    > What's a cheap way to make good use of all these drives (apart from
    > buying a mobo/case with 3 IDE controllers, or a RAID etc)?
    >
    > I bought a removable drive cradle, but this is somewhat limited because
    > IDEs can't hotplug on common mobos.
    >
    > All creative/constructive ideas appreciated.
    >
    > One thing that comes to my mind is to get a cheap box on trademe and set
    > it up as a headless LAN fileserver.

    Put all your exiting IDE devices in drive containers (about $15 each).
    This is instead of bolting your IDE hardware to the computer frame.
    You bolt the holder to the frame and slip your disk into place (they come
    in two parts - holder and container).

    So long as you don't want all of your disks active at once it gives
    you fantatsic flexibility at low cost.

    Forget about dual-booting - just quickly slot in a different disk drive
    and you have a different system.

    I have a few computers all fitted with drive containers.
    And I have about 20 disks. One of each of the Windows OSs,
    various Linuxs, etc. Very easy to fire up a different OS, yet still
    have easy access to any other disk or two.

    Also makes backups a breeze.

    Harry, Sep 5, 2004