    windows to list the files in a partition (or even a drive) JUST in order of
    size, rather than any other parameter?
    TIA
    El Duderino, Sep 18, 2005

  2. El Duderino

    old jon Guest

    "El Duderino" <> wrote in message
    news:VTgXe.76782$...
    > Hi all, running XP pro, 4 partitions on 2 HD's. Is there anyway I can get
    > windows to list the files in a partition (or even a drive) JUST in order
    > of size, rather than any other parameter?
    > TIA

    There`s an awful lot of files on your system partition, you`d need a long
    piece of paper.
    <g>. Explain what your trying to do.
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Sep 18, 2005

  3. El Duderino

    philo Guest

    El Duderino wrote:
    > Hi all, running XP pro, 4 partitions on 2 HD's. Is there anyway I can get
    > windows to list the files in a partition (or even a drive) JUST in order of
    > size, rather than any other parameter?
    > TIA

    yes...
    you have the option to show files by size
    look on the task bar you should see it
    philo, Sep 18, 2005
  4. El Duderino

    Trax Guest

    "El Duderino" <> wrote:

    |>Hi all, running XP pro, 4 partitions on 2 HD's. Is there anyway I can get
    |>windows to list the files in a partition (or even a drive) JUST in order of
    |>size, rather than any other parameter?

    In a Dos window (Start\Run CMD <Enter>)

    Cd \ (to take you to the root of the partition)
    type in:
    DIR *.* /S /O-S (largest files listed first)
    Control-C will stop the display at any time.

    Typing in: DIR /? will give a list of options

    DIR *.* /S /O-S > text.txt - will create a text file of all the files.

    --

    http://www.alternet.org/katrina/25320/
    Trax, Sep 18, 2005
  5. El Duderino

    Trax Guest

    Trax <> wrote:

    |>type in:
    |>DIR *.* /S /O-S (largest files listed first)

    To add you might first want to unhide all your files
    Attrib -H /S *.* (from the root of the drive, CD \)

    Hidden files will not be listed by the DIR command

    --

    http://www.alternet.org/katrina/25320/
    Trax, Sep 18, 2005
  6. El Duderino

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "El Duderino" <> wrote in

    > Hi all, running XP pro, 4 partitions on 2 HD's. Is there anyway I can
    > get windows to list the files in a partition (or even a drive) JUST in
    > order of size, rather than any other parameter?
    > TIA

    For a partition do a blank search on the root for all file types, making
    sure you have [include subfolders] selected in the search's [more
    advanced options]. You can also choose whether to include system folders
    or hidden files.

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Sep 18, 2005