    for Sys Admins to help me do my job, not to pass the exams. Any
    suggestions for real life help books on managing Server 2003 and XP?
    Thanks. -Tim

    Tim Mueller, Apr 5, 2007

  2. Tim Mueller

    Tim Warner Guest

    Hey Tim,

    I have gained a great deal of practical knowledge from both the
    "Inside Out" and "Administrator's Companion" series from Microsoft
    Press.

    I agree with you that the test-prep books can be long on theory (and,
    frankly, some product evangelism and marketing fluff) and sometimes
    short on practical grist. That said, the aforementioned titles are
    chock-full of great info.

    Also, be sure to check out O'Reilly Press' stuff on Server and XP.

    Kind regards,
    Tim

    ---
    Tim Warner, MCSE, MCITP (DBA), MCT
    tldubb at gmail dot com

    Tim Warner, Apr 5, 2007

  3. Tim Mueller

    catwalker63 Guest

    Tim Warner piffled away vaguely:

    > Hey Tim,
    >
    > I have gained a great deal of practical knowledge from both the
    > "Inside Out" and "Administrator's Companion" series from Microsoft
    > Press.
    >
    > I agree with you that the test-prep books can be long on theory (and,
    > frankly, some product evangelism and marketing fluff) and sometimes
    > short on practical grist. That said, the aforementioned titles are
    > chock-full of great info.
    >
    > Also, be sure to check out O'Reilly Press' stuff on Server and XP.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Tim
    >

    > ---
    > Tim Warner, MCSE, MCITP (DBA), MCT
    > tldubb at gmail dot com
    >

    > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 19:43:41 -0700, Tim Mueller <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have books on MCSA/E exam prep, but I really need some books written
    >>for Sys Admins to help me do my job, not to pass the exams. Any
    >>suggestions for real life help books on managing Server 2003 and XP?
    >>Thanks. -Tim

    Mark Minasi also writes some excellent Mastering . . . books -- Sybex
    press. He's been writing them since NT 3 and they are informative with
    real world examples. He also writes books that are enjoyable to read.
    The server book is huge but it doesn't read like a dry manual.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Apr 5, 2007