Seeking advise on good digital camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by aNdY, May 31, 2006.

  1. aNdY

    aNdY Guest

    Hi I am new here. I plan to get a very good and worthy Digital camera but
    there are so many brands and types out there and so I have no idea which is
    best for me. Please , anyone to advise me?

    I want one which allow super clear and sharp high megapixel type with large
    screen behind camera so I can see what I took. Beside these I think it need
    to have big memory. I'm not sure which type has removable memory SD or
    something similar such that I can get a high storage Sd card or something
    similar and plug in to store more picture. Need advise on this too.

    Beside these I have no idea what I should expect from a very good and worth
    the money digital camera. it does not need to be those professional looking
    type but one with everything as auto as possible with stabilise features and
    perhaps some good special effects or something.

    So if anyone got idea please advise me and if possible the price of it in
    Singapore dollar. I have no idea where to seek a good brand. Please don't
    Spam me but just advise.

    Thanks

    aNdY, May 31, 2006

  2. On Wed, 31 May 2006 21:58:57 +0800, "aNdY"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi I am new here. I plan to get a very good and worthy Digital camera but
    >there are so many brands and types out there and so I have no idea which is
    >best for me. Please , anyone to advise me?
    >
    >I want one which allow super clear and sharp high megapixel type with large
    >screen behind camera so I can see what I took. Beside these I think it need
    >to have big memory. I'm not sure which type has removable memory SD or
    >something similar such that I can get a high storage Sd card or something
    >similar and plug in to store more picture. Need advise on this too.
    >
    >Beside these I have no idea what I should expect from a very good and worth
    >the money digital camera. it does not need to be those professional looking
    >type but one with everything as auto as possible with stabilise features and
    >perhaps some good special effects or something.
    >
    >So if anyone got idea please advise me and if possible the price of it in
    >Singapore dollar. I have no idea where to seek a good brand. Please don't
    >Spam me but just advise.
    >
    >Thanks

    It's hard to beat the this one if you want super clear and sharp high
    megapixels. http://www.hasselbladusa.com/

    "Guard yourself from the terrible empty light of space,
    the bottomless
    Pool of the stars.
    (Expose yourself to it: you might learn something.)"

    "Quia Absurdum"
    Robinson Jeffers
    from "Double Axe"

    John A. Stovall, May 31, 2006

  3. aNdY

    ink Guest

    "aNdY" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I am new here. I plan to get a very good and worthy Digital camera but
    > there are so many brands and types out there and so I have no idea which
    > is
    > best for me. Please , anyone to advise me?

    <SNIP>
    > So if anyone got idea please advise me and if possible the price of it in
    > Singapore dollar. I have no idea where to seek a good brand. Please don't
    > Spam me but just advise.

    You may want to spend some time on the Review and Camera sections of
    www.dpreview.com. Lots of sample picture galleries for each camera, so you
    can see what you're getting.

    HTH.

    Cheers,
    ink

    ink, May 31, 2006
  4. aNdY

    Marvin Guest

    aNdY wrote:
    > Hi I am new here. I plan to get a very good and worthy Digital camera but
    > there are so many brands and types out there and so I have no idea which is
    > best for me. Please , anyone to advise me?
    >
    > I want one which allow super clear and sharp high megapixel type with large
    > screen behind camera so I can see what I took. Beside these I think it need
    > to have big memory. I'm not sure which type has removable memory SD or
    > something similar such that I can get a high storage Sd card or something
    > similar and plug in to store more picture. Need advise on this too.
    >
    > Beside these I have no idea what I should expect from a very good and worth
    > the money digital camera. it does not need to be those professional looking
    > type but one with everything as auto as possible with stabilise features and
    > perhaps some good special effects or something.
    >
    > So if anyone got idea please advise me and if possible the price of it in
    > Singapore dollar. I have no idea where to seek a good brand. Please don't
    > Spam me but just advise.
    >
    > Thanks

    Since you want image stabilization, check the Panasonic line.

    Marvin, May 31, 2006
  5. aNdY

    Helen Guest

    "aNdY" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I am new here. I plan to get a very good and worthy Digital camera but

    It's fairly obvious that you've done absolutely zero research, right?
    I think you should do your own work. Google is your good and worthy friend.

    Helen, May 31, 2006
  6. aNdY

    aNdY Guest

    I did. I done that. Even use yahoo.com . Got lots of information. Too much.
    All saying theirs best. So I am lost and need professional advise. If u have
    none, please don't say I had not seek as I have done so for past 2 days
    before I post. thanks.
    "Helen" <> wrote in message

    aNdY, Jun 1, 2006
  7. aNdY

    aNdY Guest

    thanks. I check that but ... it does not tell me if their is the best and
    more worthy than others. i need someone who has seek more details on this
    and can provide me a detailed and best pick the best of the best for me.
    There are far too many brands and model for me to consider and I am badly
    lost.

    aNdY, Jun 1, 2006
  8. aNdY

    aNdY Guest

    wow. that url is useful in the sense that it shows me yet another powerful
    good digital camera. But is it best for me i can nto tell. is it available
    in singapore where I am? SO many brands and model. I am so lost. SHould I
    get one complex yet easy to function one for this lifetime or just a normal
    simple digital camera. i am so very lost. VERY VERY lost. serious i am.

    aNdY, Jun 1, 2006
  9. aNdY

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 31 May 2006 22:31:36 +0100, Helen wrote:

    >> Hi I am new here. I plan to get a very good and worthy Digital camera
    >> but

    > It's fairly obvious that you've done absolutely zero research, right?

    Why should he have done any? Troll, troll, troll, troll, troll!!!

    ASAAR, Jun 1, 2006
  10. aNdY wrote:

    > Hi I am new here. I plan to get a very good and worthy Digital camera
    > but there are so many brands and types out there and so I have no
    > idea which is best for me. Please , anyone to advise me?

    1. How much money are you prepared to spend?

    2. What do you want to do with the pictures? Do you simply want to view
    them on your computer screen or use them on a website? If so, 2 megapixels
    would be enough. If you want to make prints, 3-4MP is good enough for A4.
    For good A3 prints you'd need 6-8 megapixels. You don't really need more
    than 8 megapixels unless you want to make huge prints or you're a
    professional.

    3. Do you plan to make adjustments to your photographs afterwards? If so,
    get a camera that can save in RAW mode.

    > I want one which allow super clear and sharp high megapixel type with
    > large screen behind camera so I can see what I took. Beside these I
    > think it need to have big memory. I'm not sure which type has
    > removable memory SD or something similar such that I can get a high
    > storage Sd card or something similar and plug in to store more
    > picture. Need advise on this too.

    All digital cameras use memory cards.

    > Beside these I have no idea what I should expect from a very good and
    > worth the money digital camera. it does not need to be those
    > professional looking type

    Maybe it does. What about lenses? Everybody seems to be obsessed with
    megapixels these days, but you need good quality lenses to get the best
    results. Many digicams have poor lenses. As a simple rule of thumb, the
    bigger the lens the better the quality (I don't mean length, I mean the
    width of the glass). For the best quality, get a DSLR with interchangeable
    lenses, if you can afford to spend that much.

    > but one with everything as auto as possible

    Everything's got auto-everything these days...

    > with stabilise features

    Not many cameras have that, it's usually something you get on certain
    lenses, another good reason for getting a DSLR.

    > and perhaps some good special effects or
    > something.

    You do that in the processing software afterwards.

    Personally I'm a fan of Canon. If you want very good quality without
    spending a fortune, I recommend the Canon 350D. It's an excellent quality
    and value 8MP DSLR, but you'll have to buy a few extra lenses to get the
    best out of it. Buy this if you're serious about quality.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos350d.asp

    If you'd prefer something a bit more modest, the Canon G6 is a very good 7MP
    digicam, and you can get wide angle and telephoto adapters for it too.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_g6.asp

    Somewhere in between those is the Minolta A2, an 8MP digicam with a very
    long lens range, and it has image stabilisation.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Konica_Minolta/konicaminolta_dimagea2.asp

    If you want something lightweight but still powerful, take a look at the
    Panasonic LX1. It's extremely small and light, 8MP in widescreen format and
    can do decent widescreen video too. Like all the above cameras it has a RAW
    mode, and also the image stabilisation you'd like.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmclx1.asp

    Also take a look at the Sony DSC-R1, a very good quality 10MP digicam which
    has DSLR quality (due to the large sensor) and an excellent quality lens.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dscr1.asp

    That lot should get you started.

    Paul

    Paul Saunders, Jun 1, 2006
  11. aNdY

    aNdY Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks so much. Actually I also had went to this url 2 days ago and preview
    the Canon 350D and like it. But I was hoping for better ones. In the url you
    gave, it has link to places where I can order it. The prices ranges and if I
    were to pick the shop selling it the cheapest... will it be advisable? Ok, I
    will go seek and think about it. I do wish to have just one len as I do no
    like the idea of taking out and putting back len onto camera. IF I go for
    tour, I want one which can take picture easily and easy to carry. The best
    brand any idea is which? is Nikon comparable? How about Sony, Oympic and so
    on? Any idea? I look at them in the url but there are so many tempting ones.
    I think it really depend on my luck if I were to get one or not. Sigh... The
    sony looks cool too. Many others look cool too. I will see how when i go to
    the shops. Their attitude matters.

    Thanks a lot. BTW, hope they sell those in Singapore.

    Most important question I have is, which brand or model I must never
    consider and why? That way I can look out for this problem with digital
    camera and get the real good ones. Any idea?

    Thanks so much regardless. It has been a good help.

    aNdY, Jun 2, 2006
  12. aNdY

    Sigi Rindler Guest

    "aNdY" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I am new here. I plan to get a very good and worthy Digital camera but
    > there are so many brands and types out there and so I have no idea which
    > is
    > best for me. Please , anyone to advise me?

    Here is a very nice side-by-side comparison site for digital cameras:

    http://photo.askey.net/reviews/sidebyside.asp

    Check out the Casio Exilim EX-Z750 or EX-Z850 and compare the specs with
    other models if you like. The above URL is a beautiful tool so that you
    don't miss anything.
    I am going for the EX-Z850 since a friend has it. It can use SC cards (2 GB,
    normal and miniSD card), can produce video clips in MPEG4 format for up to 2
    hours, etc.
    Video clips taken at dim light conditions are great and sharp, and the audio
    quality is great too.

    Sigi Rindler, Jun 2, 2006
  13. aNdY wrote:

    > Thanks so much. Actually I also had went to this url 2 days ago and
    > preview the Canon 350D and like it. But I was hoping for better ones.

    Why would you need anything better? Do you intend to print larger than A3?
    Even if you want to sell your photographs, the 350D is good enough for
    professional use.

    If you really do want something better, take a look at the 13MP Canon 5D,
    but that will cost a lot more, and on top of that you'll need to spend a lot
    of money on a good lens for it. The larger the sensor the better the lens
    needs to be. And even though 13MP sounds a lot more than 8MP, it will only
    produce a print which is 25% wider. I honestly don't think you need more
    than 8MP. Most people don't.

    Don't forget, even if you go for the 350D, you'll have to buy a decent lens
    for it as well, which could cost more than the camera! The lens that comes
    with it is okay, but you'd really need something better to get the best out
    of it. For you I'd recommend the 17-85mm zoom which has image
    stabilisation. If you only want to use one lens, this is a good choice.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=10511
    Be warned that this lens won't fit onto the 5D if you decide to go for that
    instead.

    If you do go for the 5D, this lens would be equivalent to the one above, and
    also has image stabilisation.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=7337

    But if you want the best quality, this lens would be a better choice.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=11924

    > In the url you gave, it has link to places where I can order it. The
    > prices ranges and if I were to pick the shop selling it the
    > cheapest... will it be advisable?

    I wouldn't buy from the first shop you find. Search the internet, some
    places sell a lot cheaper. A bit of searching can save you a lot of money.

    > Ok, I will go seek and think about
    > it. I do wish to have just one len as I do no like the idea of taking
    > out and putting back len onto camera.

    Being able to change lenses is one of the best things about a DSLR! You may
    really like that when you find out what different lenses can do, but if you
    really don't want to change lenses, then you probably don't really need a
    DSLR. In which case, I suggest you seriously consider the Sony DSC-R1
    instead. It has a very good lens, similar in range to the ones mentioned
    above, and a DSLR sized sensor, so it's effectively a 10MP DSLR with a fixed
    lens. According to dpreview, the cost of the camera is worth it for the
    lens alone. So if you only want to use one lens, buy this one and get the
    camera free!

    Oh, something I forgot to mention. DSLRs don't do video. If you want a
    camera that can do video as well, don't get a DSLR or the Sony DSC-R1.

    > IF I go for tour, I want one
    > which can take picture easily and easy to carry.

    Well that depends on what you call easy to carry. I think a DSLR with one
    lens is easy to carry (I use a camera case on my belt) but many people want
    a tiny camera that you can slip into your shirt pocket. If that's the case,
    then consider the Panasonic LX1 that I mentioned, that's tiny and very
    light. Or the Canon G6 which is a little bigger but still small compared to
    the others I mentioned. The LX1 does good video too.

    > The best brand any
    > idea is which? is Nikon comparable?

    Canon and Nikon are the big two. Nikon was the leader back in the days of
    film, but Canon is in the lead with digital. Canon makes the best quality
    sensors, but you won't go far wrong with either.

    > How about Sony, Oympic and so on?
    > Any idea?

    Sony, Olympus, Minolta are all top makes, there are many other good ones
    too.

    > I look at them in the url but there are so many tempting
    > ones. I think it really depend on my luck if I were to get one or
    > not. Sigh... The sony looks cool too.

    That may be the best choice for you, but it's not the smallest camera to
    carry around. Get a decent padded case to put on your belt.

    > Many others look cool too. I
    > will see how when i go to the shops. Their attitude matters.

    Yeah, but salesmen usually want to sell you what they've got in stock, so
    you can't always trust them. It's good to go to the shops just to pick up
    the cameras and try them out.

    > Thanks a lot. BTW, hope they sell those in Singapore.

    I don't see why not, most of them are made in Asia aren't they?

    > Most important question I have is, which brand or model I must never
    > consider and why?

    I don't know. I don't spend much time looking at cheap cameras. If it
    can't save RAW files I'm not interested. Most people shoot JPEGs, but
    shooting RAW files gives much better quality, especially if you want to make
    adjustments to the photos afterwards. There are a bit more fiddly because
    you have to convert them, and they are bigger files so you need bigger
    memory cards, but it's worth it if you are really serious about quality.

    > That way I can look out for this problem with
    > digital camera and get the real good ones. Any idea?

    Well in my opinion, avoid cameras that don't do RAW, avoid cameras with
    small lenses and avoid cheap cameras! If you stick to the big names like
    Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Minolta and Sony you won't go far wrong. There are
    other good makes too but those are 5 of the best.

    Don't forget that you'll need to buy quite a lot of big memory cards for a
    camera with lots of megapixels, especially if you go on long trips. This
    can add a lot to the price. You'll also need spare batteries.

    Paul

    Paul Saunders, Jun 2, 2006
  14. aNdY

    aNdY Guest

    Wow Paul,

    Thanks so much for the information given. Actually this morning,
    Singapore time, I saw that there is a promotion for Canon 350D and Olympus
    Camedia E-500. I was planning to get it tomrorow. But then I am shock you
    mention that even if I get 350D cannon, I still need a good len. This make
    my decision difficult. Base upon all that you wrote to me, I believe I
    needed a camera with something like this...

    1) Large LCD screen behind for me to view the picture

    2) Picture must be of at least 8 Mega pixels.

    3) Light weight , small but hopefully professional looking

    4) Best if uses AA or AAA batteries.

    5) Can zoom far and near.

    6) if one len is good for far and near image taking, one lend is all I need.

    7) Added features which I have yet know.

    I will personally go check it out in the shop later. I hope they knew what I
    am saying too. Too complex for someone like em who knew nothing about
    digital camera but yet want a good one. Thanks for yuor help. If I did get
    the camera base upon your suggestion, I will be very grateful. Should yuo
    come to Singapore, I might even show you around. Thanks. Now.. wish me good
    luck. lol....

    aNdY, Jun 3, 2006
  15. aNdY

    aNdY Guest

    I happen to surf this url

    http://www.clubsnap.org/display.php?file=reviews.html

    What do you think of those camera stated? Any advises before I make one of
    my another biggest decision of my life.

    Thanks

    aNdY, Jun 3, 2006
  16. aNdY

    aNdY Guest

    why is Canon EOS 5D so expensive?

    Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT & Olympus E-500 - which is better?

    pls reply urgently.

    aNdY, Jun 3, 2006
  17. Paul Saunders, Jun 3, 2006
  18. aNdY wrote:

    > why is Canon EOS 5D so expensive?

    Because it has a full frame sensor. Bigger sensors are harder to make,
    therefore more expensive. Also, it's aimed at professionals so they may be
    keeping the price artificially hight.

    > Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT & Olympus E-500 - which is better?

    Take a look at these pics;
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page20.asp

    I'd go for the 350D.

    Paul

    Paul Saunders, Jun 3, 2006
  19. aNdY wrote:
    > Wow Paul,
    >
    > Thanks so much for the information given. Actually this
    > morning, Singapore time, I saw that there is a promotion for Canon
    > 350D and Olympus Camedia E-500. I was planning to get it tomrorow.
    > But then I am shock you mention that even if I get 350D cannon, I
    > still need a good len.

    As I said, the one that comes with it is okay, but it's worth buying
    something better.

    > This make my decision difficult. Base upon all
    > that you wrote to me, I believe I needed a camera with something like
    > this...
    >
    > 1) Large LCD screen behind for me to view the picture
    >
    > 2) Picture must be of at least 8 Mega pixels.
    >
    > 3) Light weight , small but hopefully professional looking

    Well the DSLRs aren't all that small or light. The Canon G6 or Panasonic
    LX1 may be a better choice.

    > 4) Best if uses AA or AAA batteries.

    Actually it isn't. Cameras that use AAs run out of power very quickly, so
    you'll have to carry lots of spare batteries. The best cameras use
    Lithium-ion batteries. They're more expensive but they last much, much
    longer.

    > 5) Can zoom far and near.

    As I said, the big advantage of DSLRs is that you can get different lenses
    for them, ranging from incredibly wide (16mm equivalent) to incredibly long
    (800mm equivalent or longer). The lens that comes with the 350D is only
    29-88mm equivalent. Many digicams have lenses equivalent to 35-140mm. If
    you want a good range in a single lens, 28-200mm would be around the maximum
    you could get, but the longer the range, the lower the quality.

    There are a few 8MP digicams with 28-200mm zooms, Canon, Minolta and a few
    others make them, Nikon, Olympus and Sony I think. The Minolta I already
    mentioned in my first post, that's the only one that has image
    stabilisation. The Canon is the Pro1
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_pro1.asp
    Can't remember the others offhand, but I can try to find them if you want.

    > 6) if one len is good for far and near image taking, one lend is all
    > I need.

    The 17-85mm lens I recommended is only equivalent to 27-136mm. You can get
    longer ones but the quality isn't so good.

    > 7) Added features which I have yet know.

    Get one with RAW mode, most of the best cameras have this.

    > I will personally go check it out in the shop later. I hope they knew
    > what I am saying too. Too complex for someone like em who knew
    > nothing about digital camera but yet want a good one. Thanks for yuor
    > help. If I did get the camera base upon your suggestion, I will be
    > very grateful. Should yuo come to Singapore, I might even show you
    > around. Thanks.

    Thanks, but I'm not planning a holiday there any time soon.

    Now.. wish me good luck. lol....

    Okay, but don't buy the first camera you see, you might regret it later.
    Compare all these different cameras first, read the reviews and decide which
    features you really need most. Like what range of lens do you want? That's
    very important.

    Take a look at these pages to see what different focal lengths look like;
    http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lens101/focallength/index.html
    http://www.wolfes.com/photo/lenses/guide.html

    Remember when looking at lenses to look at the "equivalent" focal length
    instead of the actual focal length. A 28-200mm zoom on a 350D would
    actually be equivalent to 45-320mm (multiply by 1.6).

    Paul

    Paul Saunders, Jun 3, 2006
  20. aNdY

    J. Clarke Guest

    aNdY wrote:

    > Wow Paul,
    >
    > Thanks so much for the information given. Actually this morning,
    > Singapore time, I saw that there is a promotion for Canon 350D and Olympus
    > Camedia E-500. I was planning to get it tomrorow. But then I am shock you
    > mention that even if I get 350D cannon, I still need a good len. This make
    > my decision difficult. Base upon all that you wrote to me, I believe I
    > needed a camera with something like this...
    >
    > 1) Large LCD screen behind for me to view the picture

    Doesn't matter that much unless you're using the camera as a display device
    or it doesn't have a proper viewfinder.

    > 2) Picture must be of at least 8 Mega pixels.

    Not necessarily. The Nikon D50 and D70 are 6 MP and their image quality is
    adequate for just about any purpose.

    > 3) Light weight , small but hopefully professional looking
    >
    > 4) Best if uses AA or AAA batteries.

    This is a religious issue for some people. It's not all that important
    unless you are sitting on a warehouse full of AA or AAA batteries that you
    want to use up or something.

    > 5) Can zoom far and near.
    >
    > 6) if one len is good for far and near image taking, one lend is all I
    > need.

    There are degrees of "good".

    --
    --John