    PS - I had thought about F-PROT but I heard that it is not keeping it
    definitions as up to date as it should and has not been catching the
    latest WEN worm as quickly as it might have.
    Martin C.E., Sep 20, 2003

  2. Martin C.E.

    Bill Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:52:59 +0100, "Martin C.E."
    <> wrote:

    >I already have Norton Anti-Virus installed an wish to keep it.

    Then why would you need another one if Norton is doing an adequate
    job?
    Bill, Sep 20, 2003

  3. Martin C.E.

    kurt wismer Guest

    Martin C.E. wrote:

    > What anti-virus scanner can I install for use as an on-demand scanner
    > on my XP/NTFS system.
    >
    > I already have Norton Anti-Virus installed an wish to keep it.
    >

    > Martin
    >
    > ==========
    >
    > PS - I had thought about F-PROT but I heard that it is not keeping it
    > definitions as up to date as it should and has not been catching the
    > latest WEN worm as quickly as it might have.

    don't know where you heard that about f-prot... i certainly haven't had
    any problems with it and it has alerted on swen for me (many, many,
    many times)...

    --
    "hungry people don't stay hungry for long
    they get hope from fire and smoke as the weak grow strong
    kurt wismer, Sep 20, 2003
  4. Martin C.E.

    Pete Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:09:51 -0400, kurt wismer <> wrote:

    >> PS - I had thought about F-PROT but I heard that it is not keeping it
    >> definitions as up to date as it should and has not been catching the
    >> latest WEN worm as quickly as it might have.

    >don't know where you heard that about f-prot... i certainly haven't had
    >any problems with it and it has alerted on swen for me (many, many,
    >many times)...

    That's good to know, I'm just trialling it now.

    Regards,

    Pete.

    PGP Public Key ID : 98ED9C55
    Pete, Sep 20, 2003
  5. Martin C.E.

    Martin C.E. Guest

    Bill <> wrote:

    >>I already have Norton Anti-Virus installed an wish to keep it.

    > Then why would you need another one if Norton is doing an adequate
    > job?

    I keep Norton because I think it is the best U can afford but that
    does not mean it is doing a 100% job.
    Martin C.E., Sep 20, 2003
  6. Martin C.E.

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    <> wrote:

    >What anti-virus scanner can I install for use as an on-demand scanner
    >on my XP/NTFS system.
    >
    >I already have Norton Anti-Virus installed an wish to keep it.

    I'm fond of F-Prot. I'm slowly letting it take over my AV scanning
    needs. (Thank you, Col. Flagg for that tip!)

    [ Doc Jeff ], Sep 21, 2003
  7. "Martin C.E." <> wrote in message news:93FC6EB5A1377835A@130.133.1.4...

    > PS - I had thought about F-PROT but I heard that it is not keeping it
    > definitions as up to date as it should and has not been catching the
    > latest WEN worm as quickly as it might have.

    Anybody getting caught by the day zero effect is doing something
    else wrong. F-prot is still good, but you always must supplement
    your on demand scanning with other safe practices.
    FromTheRafters, Sep 21, 2003
  8. Martin C.E.

    Martin C.E. Guest

    "FromTheRafters" <!> wrote:

    >> PS - I had thought about F-PROT but I heard that it is not
    >> keeping it definitions as up to date as it should and has not
    >> been catching the latest WEN worm as quickly as it might have.

    > Anybody getting caught by the day zero effect is doing something
    > else wrong. F-prot is still good, but you always must supplement
    > your on demand scanning with other safe practices.

    What is the day zero effect?
    Martin C.E., Sep 21, 2003
  9. "Martin C.E." <> wrote in message news:Xns93FDBD5965254835A@130.133.1.4...
    > "FromTheRafters" <!> wrote:
    >
    > >> PS - I had thought about F-PROT but I heard that it is not
    > >> keeping it definitions as up to date as it should and has not
    > >> been catching the latest WEN worm as quickly as it might have.

    > > Anybody getting caught by the day zero effect is doing something
    > > else wrong. F-prot is still good, but you always must supplement
    > > your on demand scanning with other safe practices.

    > What is the day zero effect?

    It is that critical span of vulnerability between the time a particular
    malware is unleashed, and the time that detection critieria is added
    to the anti-virus programs to try and protect you.

    1) Malware is unleashed
    2) Malware becomes noticed (pops up on the "radar" so to speak)
    3) Malware is analyzed, and a suitable criteria formed for its detection.
    4) The detection criteria made available for those who actively seek it.
    5) The detection criteria is added to the definition set to be downloaded.
    6) You update your AV which implements the new definition.

    Day zero can be week zero, month zero, maybe even never zero
    if step 2 is not reached.
    FromTheRafters, Sep 21, 2003
  10. Martin C.E. schrieb:

    > I keep Norton because I think it is the best U can afford

    Well, there you make a mistake. It's Symantec's marketing which is one
    of the best, but not their scanner.

    So try Kaspersky.

    --
    Regards, Torti
    Torti Schlumpf, Sep 23, 2003
  11. Try AVG (There still may be a freeware version) at www.grisoft.com. I like
    it much better than McAfee and Norton. I have had no problems using this
    and I like the simple user interface.

    spikienetter692, Sep 25, 2003
  12. Martin C.E.

    Bill ® Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:09:32 GMT, "spikienetter692"
    <> wrote:

    >Try AVG (There still may be a freeware version) at www.grisoft.com. I like
    >it much better than McAfee and Norton. I have had no problems using this
    >and I like the simple user interface.

    Woah the bloat. I let Art talk me into putting two scanners on my
    machine, one for on-demand only, and I went with Nod32 and KAV Lite.
    Bill ®, Sep 26, 2003
  13. Martin C.E.

    optikl Guest

    "Bill ®" <> wrote in message

    > Woah the bloat. I let Art talk me into putting two scanners on my
    > machine, one for on-demand only, and I went with Nod32 and KAV Lite.

    What's your opinion of KAV Lite? Which OS you running?
    optikl, Sep 26, 2003
  14. Martin C.E.

    Bill ® Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 06:33:12 GMT, "optikl" <> wrote:

    >What's your opinion of KAV Lite? Which OS you running?

    XP. Works just fine.
    Bill ®, Sep 26, 2003