Seeing trouble in HD.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...la-headlines-pe-california&ctrack=1&cset=true

    "IF THEY WANT A GLIMPSE OF THEIR own future, Hollywood executives
    should take a peek at the latest year-end report from the Recording
    Industry Assn. of America. It's not a pretty picture. There, amid the
    statistics about declining CD sales and booming music downloads, are
    the grim numbers for the higher-fidelity formats once billed as the
    music industry's Next Big Thing. Their sluggish performance suggests
    what could happen to the two competing high-definition video formats
    that Hollywood will soon try to sell, HD-DVD and Blu-ray."

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Apr 10, 2006

  2. Allan

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Allan () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...la-headlines-pe-california&ctrack=1&cset=true
    >
    > "IF THEY WANT A GLIMPSE OF THEIR own future, Hollywood executives
    > should take a peek at the latest year-end report from the Recording
    > Industry Assn. of America. It's not a pretty picture. There, amid the
    > statistics about declining CD sales and booming music downloads, are
    > the grim numbers for the higher-fidelity formats once billed as the
    > music industry's Next Big Thing. Their sluggish performance suggests
    > what could happen to the two competing high-definition video formats
    > that Hollywood will soon try to sell, HD-DVD and Blu-ray."

    Someone with actual brains might realize that ultra-high-quality audio
    sources don't help once you download the music to an iPod, yet even
    on a 7" portable screen, you'll be able to see the difference between
    SD and HD (as long as the screen has enough pixels).

    Then, too, there's the limit of human senses. At 48kHz/16-bit, you're
    approaching the theoretical limit of the human ear, and passing the
    actual limit for many people. OTOH, even 1920x1080 on a 7" screen is
    nowhere close to the limit that the average human eye can resolve.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Apr 10, 2006

  3. Allan

    Rich Clark Guest

    Allan wrote:
    > http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...la-headlines-pe-california&ctrack=1&cset=true
    >
    > "IF THEY WANT A GLIMPSE OF THEIR own future, Hollywood executives
    > should take a peek at the latest year-end report from the Recording
    > Industry Assn. of America. It's not a pretty picture. There, amid the
    > statistics about declining CD sales and booming music downloads, are
    > the grim numbers for the higher-fidelity formats once billed as the
    > music industry's Next Big Thing. Their sluggish performance suggests
    > what could happen to the two competing high-definition video formats
    > that Hollywood will soon try to sell, HD-DVD and Blu-ray."

    The key word there is "competing." It's hard to say what would have
    happened if the entire music industry had gotten behind SACD and pushed
    real hard.

    When the industry itself can't pick one format and market it by clearly
    outlining its benefits, consumers can't be expected to do better.
    VHS/Beta is not a useful precedent, because the whole technology was
    new to consumers - there was no earlier home video recording tech to be
    replaced. Today, with people already satisfied with CDs, MP3s, DVDs,
    and cable/satellite, a format war is the best way I can think of to
    stall adoption of any of it.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Apr 10, 2006
  4. Allan

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Jeff Rife () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Someone with actual brains might realize

    By this, I meant the reporter, not the poster. Sorry.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Tragedy struck today in Sector Nine as rebel
    Jeff Rife, Apr 10, 2006
  5. Allan

    Bratboy Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message

    > Allan wrote:
    >> http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...la-headlines-pe-california&ctrack=1&cset=true
    >>
    >> "IF THEY WANT A GLIMPSE OF THEIR own future, Hollywood executives
    >> should take a peek at the latest year-end report from the Recording
    >> Industry Assn. of America. It's not a pretty picture. There, amid the
    >> statistics about declining CD sales and booming music downloads, are
    >> the grim numbers for the higher-fidelity formats once billed as the
    >> music industry's Next Big Thing. Their sluggish performance suggests
    >> what could happen to the two competing high-definition video formats
    >> that Hollywood will soon try to sell, HD-DVD and Blu-ray."

    > The key word there is "competing." It's hard to say what would have
    > happened if the entire music industry had gotten behind SACD and pushed
    > real hard.
    >
    > When the industry itself can't pick one format and market it by clearly
    > outlining its benefits, consumers can't be expected to do better.
    > VHS/Beta is not a useful precedent, because the whole technology was
    > new to consumers - there was no earlier home video recording tech to be
    > replaced. Today, with people already satisfied with CDs, MP3s, DVDs,
    > and cable/satellite, a format war is the best way I can think of to
    > stall adoption of any of it.
    >
    > RichC

    Im not gonna worry bout jumping to HD DVD yet myself. Someone in another
    thread made a big deal out of "you could even make out the sweat gland on
    sonso's face in HD". While I like detail comments like that don't impress
    me. SD(prefeerably Animorphic) looks fantastic on my WS HDTV so at least
    untill everything shakes out I'm just gonna avoid HD DVD for a while. Maybe
    by next xmas the studio's will have pulled their collective heads out of
    their behinds and settle on one format etc.
    Bratboy, Apr 11, 2006