    --
    Dr. Duane C. Tway
    Walden University
    =?Utf-8?B?ZHR3YXk=?=, Sep 28, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?ZHR3YXk=?=

    Malke Guest

    dtway wrote:

    > My home WLAN has a Linksys cable modem and 4 computers (2 desktops, 2
    > notebooks) all of which can are connected to the Internet with no
    > problem.
    > However, none of the computers can "see" any of the others. All are
    > set up with the same workgroup name, SSID, and so on, and are set to
    > "share" their
    > C:\ drives (the WLAN is encrypted) on the network. All computers are
    > running Windows XP Pro or Home with SP2 and all updates downloaded.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what cause is and/or how to correct this situation?

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers