Seeing other computers on the network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jeremy Lawrence, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. First of all, thank you to everyone who helped me with my problem regarding
    wireless security. With your kind help, I managed this.

    OK. Now here's my problem, and I hope that I am providing enough
    information.

    (1). I have a belken router, which I installed with the various cables
    running correctly from desktop to router and phone line to desktop.
    Connection to the internet is not a problem
    (2) I have a laptop, which when I finally managed to work out that a switch
    needs to be turned on, is connecting to the internet through the router
    perfectly again.
    (3) However, no matter what I do, I cannot seem to configure each computer
    so that they "see" each other. I am obviously doing something wrong, but
    can't see what.
    (4) I have enabled sharing on both the desktop and the laptop. The workgroup
    name is the same on both PC's.
    (5) I use the laptop at the office with a wired LAN, and have absolutely no
    problems seeing the other PC's or sharing an internet connection. It is just
    on the wireless setup at home where I have problems.

    Many Thanks for all help offered

    --
    ---------------
    Jeremy Lawrence
    Jeremy Lawrence, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Jeremy Lawrence

    WLW Guest

    Hi, Jeremy -

    If you are using XP, make sure that the Firewall is configured to allow File
    Printing and Sharing under the Exceptions tab. If you are using something
    like Norton Internet Security or another personal firewall, make sure that
    is configured to allow File Printing and Sharing. Otherwise your computers
    are being "protected" from each other.

    HTH,
    --
    WLW

    WLW, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Hi Jeremy - I am by no means an expert in computers, but I had the same issue
    with my Belkin router too (frustratingly my flatmate could connect with his
    laptop no problem!) . Turns out it was an IP address conflict between my PC
    and my laptop. I rang Belkin's helpline and they talked me through changing
    the settings. They are an Indian call centre (have had some bad experiences
    with those!), but once I got through they were really helpful. I hope this
    helps a little. Best wishes, Kate.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FzdWFsdHk5OTk=?=, Feb 7, 2006