Seeing both computers on the network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, May 20, 2006.

  1. I have a wired network running on ME and a wireless network running on XP,
    both desktops. The each use the internet and printer with no problems. I
    can see each of them on their corresponding computers but I can't see the
    other from either of them. I've read through the postings and viewed some of
    the links that others have posted but being that all issues are unique, I
    still need assistance.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, May 20, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=

    Malke Guest

    donotspam wrote:

    > I have a wired network running on ME and a wireless network running on
    > XP,
    > both desktops. The each use the internet and printer with no
    > problems. I can see each of them on their corresponding computers but
    > I can't see the
    > other from either of them. I've read through the postings and viewed
    > some of the links that others have posted but being that all issues
    > are unique, I still need assistance.


    What error messages do you get? Did you run the Network Setup Wizard on
    XP? If not, you should do so and see the following information:

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
    folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
    Shared Documents folder.

    If your XP computer is XP Pro:

    a. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
    Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user
    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means
    that anyone without a user account on the target system can use its
    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"
     
    Malke, May 20, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Unfortunately, I am not computer suave. I don't understand your response,
    I've seen this response on another posting and didn't understand it then
    either. I need baby steps. I can tell you that I get no error messages and
    I do have Norton Antiv. The wireless computer is XP home edition.... I
    believe. Do you think you can still help me?

    "Malke" wrote:

    > donotspam wrote:
    >
    > > I have a wired network running on ME and a wireless network running on
    > > XP,
    > > both desktops. The each use the internet and printer with no
    > > problems. I can see each of them on their corresponding computers but
    > > I can't see the
    > > other from either of them. I've read through the postings and viewed
    > > some of the links that others have posted but being that all issues
    > > are unique, I still need assistance.

    >
    > What error messages do you get? Did you run the Network Setup Wizard on
    > XP? If not, you should do so and see the following information:
    >
    > This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    > Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
    > Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    > on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    > firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    > Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    > third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    > Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    > IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    > substitute your correct subnet.
    >
    > Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    > home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
    > folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
    > Shared Documents folder.
    >
    > If your XP computer is XP Pro:
    >
    > a. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
    > Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user
    > accounts/passwords on all computers.
    >
    > b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    > Simple File Sharing enabled.
    >
    > Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means
    > that anyone without a user account on the target system can use its
    > resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    > matters in your situation.
    >
    > If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    > troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    > and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    > http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, May 21, 2006
    #3
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=

    Malke Guest

    donotspam wrote:

    > Unfortunately, I am not computer suave. I don't understand your
    > response, I've seen this response on another posting and didn't
    > understand it then
    > either. I need baby steps. I can tell you that I get no error
    > messages and
    > I do have Norton Antiv. The wireless computer is XP home edition....
    > I
    > believe. Do you think you can still help me?


    Those *are* baby steps.

    1. Run the Network Setup Wizard, enable file & printer sharing.
    2. On ME, enable file sharing.
    3. Configure firewalls on both machines to allow local area network
    traffic.
    4. Share desired resources.

    I think that if you don't understand what you have to do - and there is
    no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea since we all have our
    areas of expertise - you should have a local pro come in and set up
    your network. It will not take long and will not be very expensive.

    I really don't see any other way for you to get this to work if you
    can't go through Mr. Michna's troubleshooter which is a step-by-step
    process. I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings; just being
    practical.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"
     
    Malke, May 21, 2006
    #4
  5. Thank you for your help, we are up and running!

    "Malke" wrote:

    > donotspam wrote:
    >
    > > Unfortunately, I am not computer suave. I don't understand your
    > > response, I've seen this response on another posting and didn't
    > > understand it then
    > > either. I need baby steps. I can tell you that I get no error
    > > messages and
    > > I do have Norton Antiv. The wireless computer is XP home edition....
    > > I
    > > believe. Do you think you can still help me?

    >
    > Those *are* baby steps.
    >
    > 1. Run the Network Setup Wizard, enable file & printer sharing.
    > 2. On ME, enable file sharing.
    > 3. Configure firewalls on both machines to allow local area network
    > traffic.
    > 4. Share desired resources.
    >
    > I think that if you don't understand what you have to do - and there is
    > no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea since we all have our
    > areas of expertise - you should have a local pro come in and set up
    > your network. It will not take long and will not be very expensive.
    >
    > I really don't see any other way for you to get this to work if you
    > can't go through Mr. Michna's troubleshooter which is a step-by-step
    > process. I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings; just being
    > practical.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, May 30, 2006
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jay
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    676
    Walter Roberson
    Nov 8, 2004
  2. Jeremy Lawrence

    Seeing other computers on the network

    Jeremy Lawrence, Feb 5, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,340
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FzdWFsdHk5OTk=?=
    Feb 7, 2006
  3. =?Utf-8?B?ZHR3YXk=?=

    "Seeing" the computers on my home WLAN

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHR3YXk=?=, Sep 28, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    418
    Malke
    Sep 28, 2006
  4. Ed
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    396
  5. b
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,152
    Plato
    Apr 21, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page