seeing and sending garbage characters in my email under TB

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by mineola, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. mineola

    mineola Guest

    I hope one you guys can help me solve a problem I have had for about
    two years now, and cannot solve. I use TB 1.5 as my email client.
    Whenever I compose an email with any odd (and some not very odd)
    character in it and send it, I get a prompt asking my if I wish to
    send it with "UTF-8" to correctly send some characters, or send it
    anyway without UTF-8 and clobber some of the text.

    Then, the recipient receives my email with some odd characters in
    place of my quotes or apostrophes.

    Much of my incoming mail displays too with garbage characters in place
    of quotes and apostrophes. I have determined this has to do with TB
    alone, since outside of TB, everything works perfectly.

    Under options>tools>display>fonts I have UTF-8 for both outgoing and
    incoming mail. Is this my problem?

    I tried and failed to correct the problem by trying other releases of
    TB, but the problem still persists, so I suspect it's a TB setting
    that's getting me and my TB configuration problem is the same under
    each release.

    I'd be eternally grateful if anyone here knows what my problem is and
    will assist me.

    mineola, Mar 7, 2007

  2. mineola

    Guest

    On Mar 6, 7:26 pm, "mineola" <> wrote:
    > I hope one you guys can help me solve a problem I have had for about
    > two years now, and cannot solve. I use TB 1.5 as my email client.
    > Whenever I compose an email with any odd (and some not very odd)
    > character in it and send it, I get a prompt asking my if I wish to
    > send it with "UTF-8" to correctly send some characters, or send it
    > anyway without UTF-8 and clobber some of the text.
    >
    > Then, the recipient receives my email with some odd characters in
    > place of my quotes or apostrophes.
    >
    > Much of my incoming mail displays too with garbage characters in place
    > of quotes and apostrophes. I have determined this has to do with TB
    > alone, since outside of TB, everything works perfectly.
    >
    > Under options>tools>display>fonts I have UTF-8 for both outgoing and
    > incoming mail. Is this my problem?
    >
    > I tried and failed to correct the problem by trying other releases of
    > TB, but the problem still persists, so I suspect it's a TB setting
    > that's getting me and my TB configuration problem is the same under
    > each release.
    >
    > I'd be eternally grateful if anyone here knows what my problem is and
    > will assist me.

    you're not the only one having this problem. I get it too, mostly
    when I reply to someone elses foreign characters inserted. I just
    sent it in UTF-8 format anyways.

    As for reading messages, try to fiddle around with the Character
    Encoding [under View]. Most people in the world are set up with
    either western-iso8859-1 or utf-8.

    as for the quotes and apostrophes bit, it depends, sometimes I get
    question marks, and other times I get empty little boxes. Sometimes,
    not always, like I said, fiddling with the Character Encoding fixes
    it. I just have to find the right one.

    , Mar 7, 2007

  3. mineola

    mineola Guest

    On Mar 7, 12:44 am, wrote:
    > On Mar 6, 7:26 pm, "mineola" <> wrote:
    >

    > > I hope one you guys can help me solve a problem I have had for about
    > > two years now, and cannot solve. I use TB 1.5 as my email client.
    > > Whenever I compose an email with any odd (and some not very odd)
    > > character in it and send it, I get a prompt asking my if I wish to
    > > send it with "UTF-8" to correctly send some characters, or send it
    > > anyway without UTF-8 and clobber some of the text.

    > > Then, the recipient receives my email with some odd characters in
    > > place of my quotes or apostrophes.

    > > Much of my incoming mail displays too with garbage characters in place
    > > of quotes and apostrophes. I have determined this has to do with TB
    > > alone, since outside of TB, everything works perfectly.

    > > Under options>tools>display>fonts I have UTF-8 for both outgoing and
    > > incoming mail. Is this my problem?

    > > I tried and failed to correct the problem by trying other releases of
    > > TB, but the problem still persists, so I suspect it's a TB setting
    > > that's getting me and my TB configuration problem is the same under
    > > each release.

    > > I'd be eternally grateful if anyone here knows what my problem is and
    > > will assist me.

    > you're not the only one having this problem. I get it too, mostly
    > when I reply to someone elses foreign characters inserted. I just
    > sent it in UTF-8 format anyways.
    >
    > As for reading messages, try to fiddle around with the Character
    > Encoding [under View]. Most people in the world are set up with
    > either western-iso8859-1 or utf-8.
    >
    > as for the quotes and apostrophes bit, it depends, sometimes I get
    > question marks, and other times I get empty little boxes. Sometimes,
    > not always, like I said, fiddling with the Character Encoding fixes
    > it. I just have to find the right one.

    Thanks indeed! As you suggested, I fiddled around with view>character
    encoding
    and found a setting that works, Western (Windows - 1252). It was
    "auto" and that fails

    Now, even the message text (in English) from my Russian pen pal looks
    OK.

    mineola, Mar 7, 2007