Securutiy query - please help

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Neil Hindry, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. Neil Hindry

    Neil Hindry Guest

    I wonder if you can help me. I have a modem/router which has 3 PC's
    connected to it, but they are rarely used at the same time.

    My ISP has given me static IP addresses.
    I can give each PC a set IP address so they always use the same IP address,
    or I can set it to obtain IP address automatically which would mean they
    could have a different IP address each time I turn the PC on.

    What I was wondering was, is one of the above systems better or more secure
    than the other?
    Is there any reason why I should use the static IP addresses over dynamic
    addresses or vice versa?

    I hope you can help me.

    I appreciate any help or information given.

    Thanks!

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    Neil Hindry, Mar 1, 2006

  2. Neil Hindry

    cypher Guest

    cypher, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Neil Hindry

    RBM Guest

    I don't think it would make a difference as both are on the LAN side and not
    seen from the wan side

    RBM, Mar 1, 2006
  4. Neil Hindry

    nemo_outis Guest

    > I wonder if you can help me. I have a modem/router which has 3 PC's
    > connected to it, but they are rarely used at the same time.
    >
    > My ISP has given me static IP addresses.
    > I can give each PC a set IP address so they always use the same IP
    > address, or I can set it to obtain IP address automatically which
    > would mean they could have a different IP address each time I turn the
    > PC on.
    >
    > What I was wondering was, is one of the above systems better or more
    > secure than the other?
    > Is there any reason why I should use the static IP addresses over
    > dynamic addresses or vice versa?
    >
    > I hope you can help me.
    >
    > I appreciate any help or information given.
    >
    > Thanks!

    It mostly doesn't matter whether the PCs on the LAN side of the router have
    fixed or variable IPs.

    Unless, of course, you run servers, etc.

    With that said, my preference (or personal quirk?) is to let the router's
    DHCP assign fixed IPs to the LAN machines (makes it possible to forward
    packets to a specific machine behind the router, etc.). My router is
    192.168.0.1 and my machines are 192.168.0.100, 101, 102, etc.

    Regards,

    PS I do run servers on some of them.

    nemo_outis, Mar 1, 2006
  5. Neil Hindry

    roy Guest

    Neil Hindry wrote:
    > I wonder if you can help me. I have a modem/router which has 3 PC's
    > connected to it, but they are rarely used at the same time.
    >
    > My ISP has given me static IP addresses.
    > I can give each PC a set IP address so they always use the same IP address,
    > or I can set it to obtain IP address automatically which would mean they
    > could have a different IP address each time I turn the PC on.
    >
    > What I was wondering was, is one of the above systems better or more secure
    > than the other?
    > Is there any reason why I should use the static IP addresses over dynamic
    > addresses or vice versa?
    >
    > I hope you can help me.
    >
    > I appreciate any help or information given.
    >
    > Thanks!

    You confuse me. Has your ISP given you an address for each computer?
    Would this mean you have 3 accounts with your ISP?

    Are your PC's networked? You say they are rarely used at the same time.
    I just would never have concerned myself with my IP address if I had no
    network.

    To the best of my understanding, a static IP on an idividual PC is more
    work, but no more secure because your security is in your fire wall, not
    your address.

    Right now I am 192.168.0.101 - TRY AND FIND ME!
    (chuckles)

    roy, Mar 1, 2006
  6. Neil Hindry

    Andrew Bell Guest

    Hi there Neil

    Your isp has give you 1 static ip address yes? .......

    Your router will contain that information about that address
    correct?............

    Your router can be classed as a gateway seperating your inside pcs to the
    outside network.

    Your router has a function called DHCP, this function will allow all inside
    network to get an address from. If you look in your router check for
    something for DHCP.

    In the inside of the network you can eitha set a static or dynamic address
    to allow your computers to communicate with the outside world and using the
    router as a gateway.

    To be honest in my opinion with you only having 3 computers its best to have
    a static internal address as there wont be a need for a dynamic address as
    your network is not that big.

    There is no security loss or gain having static or dynamic addresses in the
    inside of the gateway as your gateway router will have a firewall built into
    it to stop outside networks gettin into the inside network.

    If you need help on settings these 3 workstations up in the inside of the
    network please get back intouch and someone or myself will gladly be able to
    help you.

    Hope this has helped you in your quest.

    Andrew Bell, Mar 4, 2006