    Anybody know how to solve this failure to load

    TIA

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Jul 27, 2006

  2. Patrick FitzGerald

    Keith Guest

    Patrick FitzGerald <> wrote:

    >Security Update KB 917283 has been bugging me for quite a while
    >
    >It wont load and it wont go away.
    >
    >An internet search has not revealed a solution.
    >
    >Anybody know how to solve this failure to load

    Always check with Woody before loading patches:

    "If you got conned into downloading .NET Framework 2.0 - the bloated,
    buggy WinXP precursor to the plumbing that'll be built into Vista - you
    need to apply this patch. The real-world exposure is very slight, but
    what the heck.

    There's one documented bug in the patch: some folks who try to install
    it receive an Error 0x643, or sometimes the computer just dies. If this
    patch doesn't install correctly, other patches you may try to apply
    automatically might not work.

    Microsoft has a workaround listed in KB 923100. Basically, you have to
    uninstall .NET Framework 2.0, re-apply this patch, then re-install .NET
    Framework 2.0. Far as I'm concerned, you should uninstall .NET
    Framework 2.0, and stop while you're ahead of the game.

    There doesn't appear to be any effort under way in Redmond to solve the
    problem."

    http://www.askwoody.com/patchcomments.php?statusid=87

    Keith, Jul 27, 2006

  3. On 28 Jul 2006 09:09:14 +1200, "Keith" <> wrote:

    >Patrick FitzGerald <> wrote:
    >>

    >>Security Update KB 917283 has been bugging me for quite a while
    >>
    >>It wont load and it wont go away.
    >>
    >>An internet search has not revealed a solution.
    >>
    >>Anybody know how to solve this failure to load

    >Always check with Woody before loading patches:
    >
    >"If you got conned into downloading .NET Framework 2.0 - the bloated,
    >buggy WinXP precursor to the plumbing that'll be built into Vista - you
    >need to apply this patch. The real-world exposure is very slight, but
    >what the heck.
    >
    >There's one documented bug in the patch: some folks who try to install
    >it receive an Error 0x643, or sometimes the computer just dies. If this
    >patch doesn't install correctly, other patches you may try to apply

    >automatically might not work.
    >
    >Microsoft has a workaround listed in KB 923100. Basically, you have to
    >uninstall .NET Framework 2.0, re-apply this patch, then re-install .NET
    >Framework 2.0. Far as I'm concerned, you should uninstall .NET
    >Framework 2.0, and stop while you're ahead of the game.
    >
    >There doesn't appear to be any effort under way in Redmond to solve the
    >problem."
    >
    >http://www.askwoody.com/patchcomments.php?statusid=87

    Thanks Keith.

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Jul 27, 2006
  4. In message <44c92b7a$>, Keith wrote:

    > Always check with Woody before loading patches:
    >
    > "If you got conned into downloading .NET Framework 2.0 - the bloated,
    > buggy WinXP precursor to the plumbing that'll be built into Vista...

    And which Vista itself was originally going to be built on. Until they
    realized, in 2004 after three years' effort, that it was never going to
    work, and so they had to scrap all their code and start again.

    So now you know the main reason why Vista is three years behind schedule.
    And still counting <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5222736.stm> ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 28, 2006