    BTW, the magazine's picks were Norton Internet Security and Norton
    360.

    , Jan 17, 2008

  2. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just read an article in PC Magazine about security suites and have a
    > couple questions. They reviewed Norton, BullGuard, McAfee,Trend,
    > ZoneAlarm and some others.
    >
    > First, most of the prices say 3 installs, 1 year. Does that mean I
    > can use it on 3 PCs? Does re-installing it after a melt down count as
    > one of these installs?
    >
    > After the year, then what? Do you need to spend another pile of money
    > to use them for another year? I know Nortan AV used to be like that.
    > $50 to buy and then $25 or $30 more a year later to keep using it. Are
    > there any that you can buy once and use as long as you want?
    >
    > BTW, the magazine's picks were Norton Internet Security and Norton
    > 360.

    Get yourself
    1. AVG free.
    2. Spybot search and destroy free.
    3. ZoneAlarm free.

    Just type each of the above into www.google.com.

    meerkat, Jan 17, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:45:08 GMT, "meerkat" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Just read an article in PC Magazine about security suites and have a
    >> couple questions. They reviewed Norton, BullGuard, McAfee,Trend,
    >> ZoneAlarm and some others.
    >>
    >> First, most of the prices say 3 installs, 1 year. Does that mean I
    >> can use it on 3 PCs? Does re-installing it after a melt down count as
    >> one of these installs?
    >>
    >> After the year, then what? Do you need to spend another pile of money
    >> to use them for another year? I know Nortan AV used to be like that.
    >> $50 to buy and then $25 or $30 more a year later to keep using it. Are
    >> there any that you can buy once and use as long as you want?
    >>
    >> BTW, the magazine's picks were Norton Internet Security and Norton
    >> 360.
    >>

    >Get yourself
    >1. AVG free.
    >2. Spybot search and destroy free.
    >3. ZoneAlarm free.
    >
    >Just type each of the above into www.google.com.

    don't know about #2, but I liked the other 2. the local shop
    reccommended AVG, then for some reason they suggested changing to
    Avast! when I did that, then Zone Alarm wouldn't work with it. I'll
    have to give them another try some day.

    , Jan 17, 2008
  4. wrote:

    > BTW, the magazine's picks were Norton Internet Security and Norton
    > 360.

    Notran probably paid the most in advertising revenue this month. There's
    no other reason to recommend these bloated, resource-hogging apps.

    Follow meerkat's advice and use the free stuff. For a Windows PC, I
    would add SuperAntiSpyware, and run a periodic scan.

    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 17, 2008
  5. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > Just read an article in PC Magazine

    This is where optimally you would provide a link to the specific article
    you read, because you are asking specific questions about information
    which it contained. That is, you are saying, "I am looking at
    something. I'll sort of describe it, but not precisely, and then I want
    you to tell me the meaning of what I read."

    Here's a 2008 article which is linked to from the online pc magazine
    site as a sponsored link http://snipurl.com/1xnyh Thursday, January 17,
    2008 -- Internet Security Software Reviews

    There are two internet security suite articles in PC Mag online which
    are called Security Suite Smackdown 2008 & Security Suite Smackdown
    2008 - Part II -- which appeared in pcmag.com in 2007 Sep & Nov.

    > about security suites and have a
    > couple questions. They reviewed Norton, BullGuard, McAfee,Trend,
    > ZoneAlarm and some others.

    You can purchase security suite software or you can configure your own
    security applications using freeware.

    As a general rule, purchased software is not inherently better than
    freeware software. In some circumstances, a particular freeware may be
    better than its corresponding purchase software -- while in other
    circumstances, you can purchase a software application which is better
    (for your usage) than a software application which is freeware.

    Some comparison studies compare both payware and freeware with each
    other. Many other comparisons compare only freeware or only payware.
    Perhaps you read an article that only compares payware and didn't
    consider freeware.

    Personally, I don't use any payware security suites.

    > First, most of the prices say 3 installs, 1 year. Does that mean I
    > can use it on 3 PCs? Does re-installing it after a melt down count as
    > one of these installs?

    Point a link to the specific site which says what you are reading, don't
    describe it. This Norton link http://snipurl.com/1xnza sez "For up to
    3 PCs per household" it doesn't say '3 installs, 1 year"

    My interpretation of up to 3 pc/s is that the license restricts to 3
    different pieces of hardware max and provides a year's worth of 'usage'
    and updates. How the software is designed to enforce the licensing
    agreement is up to the developer. I would think/assume a hardware
    'meltdown' requiring a new install on the same hardware would work just
    fine -- depending on the software licensing restrictions design.

    > After the year, then what? Do you need to spend another pile of money
    > to use them for another year?

    That's the general idea.

    > I know Nortan AV used to be like that.
    > $50 to buy and then $25 or $30 more a year later to keep using it. Are
    > there any that you can buy once and use as long as you want?

    It is most often that such as AV or antispyware agents which are free
    are also updated free. The original software and the updating for such
    agents go 'hand-in-hand' -- freeware has free updates; payware has a
    time limitation on free updates.

    > BTW, the magazine's picks were Norton Internet Security and Norton
    > 360.

    Not the article I saw.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 17, 2008
  6. Flyer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Just read an article in PC Magazine about security suites and have a
    > couple questions. They reviewed Norton, BullGuard, McAfee,Trend,
    > ZoneAlarm and some others.
    >
    > First, most of the prices say 3 installs, 1 year. Does that mean I
    > can use it on 3 PCs? Does re-installing it after a melt down count as
    > one of these installs?
    >
    > After the year, then what? Do you need to spend another pile of money
    > to use them for another year? I know Nortan AV used to be like that.
    > $50 to buy and then $25 or $30 more a year later to keep using it. Are
    > there any that you can buy once and use as long as you want?
    >
    > BTW, the magazine's picks were Norton Internet Security and Norton
    > 360.

    generally, it's an annual subscription to keep it up-to-date. Computer
    Shopper (UK) did a Labs test some months back, both Norton & MacAfee came in
    the bottom 5 out of 20.
    Kapersky, AVG, Steganos all came in the top 5

    your money, your choice ;-)

    P.

    Flyer, Jan 17, 2008
  7. Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:40:47 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >agreement is up to the developer. I would think/assume a hardware
    >'meltdown' requiring a new install on the same hardware would work just
    >fine -- depending on the software licensing restrictions design.
    >
    >> After the year, then what? Do you need to spend another pile of money
    >> to use them for another year?

    >That's the general idea.
    >
    >> I know Nortan AV used to be like that.
    >> $50 to buy and then $25 or $30 more a year later to keep using it. Are
    >> there any that you can buy once and use as long as you want?

    >It is most often that such as AV or antispyware agents which are free
    >are also updated free. The original software and the updating for such
    >agents go 'hand-in-hand' -- freeware has free updates; payware has a
    >time limitation on free updates.
    >
    >> BTW, the magazine's picks were Norton Internet Security and Norton

    A link to the article, hmm...in this magazine on my desk, is about all
    I can tell you.

    It's the Feb. 2008 issue of PC Magazine and the article is titled
    "Security Suites 2008". Whether it's online or not, I don't know. I
    didn't look. But the editors did choose the two I said.

    they tested 14 different titles, ranging from $49.95 to $79.99.

    I'm gonna give AVG and zoneAlarm another try if I can find a good copy
    of AVG. I got 7.5 from Grisoft and it wouldn't install cause some of
    the files were corrupt or missing or something.

    , Jan 17, 2008
  8. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> wrote:
    >>> Just read an article in PC Magazine

    > A link to the article, hmm...in this magazine on my desk, is about all
    > I can tell you.
    >
    > It's the Feb. 2008 issue of PC Magazine and the article is titled
    > "Security Suites 2008". Whether it's online or not, I don't know. I
    > didn't look. But the editors did choose the two I said.

    The online site doesn't have the Feb deadtree version yet:

    http://www.pcmag.com/current_issue/ Current Issue - January 1, 2008

    > they tested 14 different titles, ranging from $49.95 to $79.99.

    That sounds similar to what they did last Sep & Nov. They then liked
    Norton's AV and antispy & firewall and not the antispam or parental
    control and ranked Norton first. However, the online site also had a
    lot of bad commentary from the users who did not rank Norton the same
    way as the editor/s.

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2180643,00.asp Norton Internet
    Security 2008 - REVIEW DATE: 09.07.07

    Notice the numerous member ratings which were negative and only a few
    good, while the editor was 4.5/5.

    > I'm gonna give AVG and zoneAlarm another try if I can find a good copy
    > of AVG. I got 7.5 from Grisoft and it wouldn't install cause some of
    > the files were corrupt or missing or something.

    AVG is popular; so is Avast. There are sites comparing numerous AV
    agents.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 17, 2008