    MD
    --
    http://www.DragonGraphs.com
    Mister Dragon, May 25, 2004

  2. You are definitely not alone.

    I believe the studios who are at fault. However, I have noticed that
    there are fewer of them on DVDs I purchase online as opposed to brick
    and mortar stores. Maybe stores/distributers have a choice in what they
    order from the manufacturer.

    Jonny Quest is my latest casualty.

    Ken L. Cheshire, May 25, 2004

  3. On Tue, 25 May 2004 16:10:20 -0500, "Ken L. Cheshire"
    <> wrote:

    >You are definitely not alone.
    >
    >I believe the studios who are at fault. However, I have noticed that
    >there are fewer of them on DVDs I purchase online as opposed to brick
    >and mortar stores. Maybe stores/distributers have a choice in what they
    >order from the manufacturer.
    >
    >Jonny Quest is my latest casualty.

    I've lost all three of hte Universal Monster Legacy sets and the
    latest season sets of Buffy and Angel. They're killing me this crap!

    MD

    --
    http://www.DragonGraphs.com
    Mister Dragon, May 26, 2004
  4. Mister Dragon

    Biz Guest

    "Mister Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > Am I the only one who can't stand security strips? Evil, black,
    > plastic adhesive strips. I can't stand having them in my DVDs and
    > before I can even watch the movie, I feel compelled to peel them out.
    >
    > Normally, it's not a problem as they peel free from the DVD case
    > pretty easily. But I just can't fucking stand when I buy a box set or
    > some collector DVD and they go through the trouble of prying up the
    > clear tray to attach the strip under it. Dozens of square inches of
    > packaging and they have to put it under the tray, which wouldn't even
    > be so bad, except do they do the intelligent thing and attach it to
    > the plastic tray? Hell, no, they attach it to the paper backing so
    > any attempt to remove it fucks up the package.
    >
    > Surely I'm not alone in my derision of these things? And who am I to
    > be directing my ire towards? Is it the studios releasing them or the
    > stores selling them that insist on their inclusion?
    >
    > MD
    > --
    > http://www.DragonGraphs.com

    Right now they are the best way that retailers have to prevent the heavy
    inventory shrinkage. I blame every scumbag who has tried to shoplift any
    merhcandise from any retailer. If you leave the tags alone, they will leave
    you and your packaging alone as well. Do I like them? No. But I'm bright
    enough to know that if I try to remove them I risk the chance of tearing up
    the packaging.

    When they come up with a better way I''ll back that pony. Until then, blame
    the shoplifters....or better yet, blame the shoplifters and develop a better
    way.
    Biz, May 26, 2004
  5. Mister Dragon

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Mister Dragon wrote:
    > Am I the only one who can't stand security strips? Evil, black,
    > plastic adhesive strips. I can't stand having them in my DVDs and
    > before I can even watch the movie, I feel compelled to peel them out.
    >
    > Normally, it's not a problem as they peel free from the DVD case
    > pretty easily. But I just can't fucking stand when I buy a box set or
    > some collector DVD and they go through the trouble of prying up the
    > clear tray to attach the strip under it. Dozens of square inches of
    > packaging and they have to put it under the tray, which wouldn't even
    > be so bad, except do they do the intelligent thing and attach it to
    > the plastic tray? Hell, no, they attach it to the paper backing so
    > any attempt to remove it fucks up the package.
    >
    > Surely I'm not alone in my derision of these things? And who am I to
    > be directing my ire towards? Is it the studios releasing them or the
    > stores selling them that insist on their inclusion?

    It's the shoplifters that force retail stores to take such measures, so
    blame them. In the meantime, is this really important? Does it impact your
    DVD experience in any way, shape or form? The answer is no, so maybe you
    could just try not caring about it - there are far more important things for
    you to worry about than this. :)

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, May 26, 2004
  6. Mister Dragon

    Justin Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote on [Wed, 26 May 2004 11:21:51 -0700]:
    > Mister Dragon wrote:
    >> Am I the only one who can't stand security strips? Evil, black,
    >> plastic adhesive strips. I can't stand having them in my DVDs and
    >> before I can even watch the movie, I feel compelled to peel them out.
    >>
    >> Normally, it's not a problem as they peel free from the DVD case
    >> pretty easily. But I just can't fucking stand when I buy a box set or
    >> some collector DVD and they go through the trouble of prying up the
    >> clear tray to attach the strip under it. Dozens of square inches of
    >> packaging and they have to put it under the tray, which wouldn't even
    >> be so bad, except do they do the intelligent thing and attach it to
    >> the plastic tray? Hell, no, they attach it to the paper backing so
    >> any attempt to remove it fucks up the package.
    >>
    >> Surely I'm not alone in my derision of these things? And who am I to
    >> be directing my ire towards? Is it the studios releasing them or the
    >> stores selling them that insist on their inclusion?

    > It's the shoplifters that force retail stores to take such measures, so
    > blame them. In the meantime, is this really important? Does it impact your
    > DVD experience in any way, shape or form? The answer is no, so maybe you
    > could just try not caring about it - there are far more important things for
    > you to worry about than this. :)

    I've bought a couple of box sets that included the strip right on the
    cardboad that inhibits the discs moving in and out of the box. Slipcase
    type box set.
    Justin, May 26, 2004
  7. Mister Dragon

    jayembee Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:

    > Mister Dragon wrote:
    >> Am I the only one who can't stand security strips?
    >> Evil, black, plastic adhesive strips. I can't stand
    >> having them in my DVDs and before I can even watch
    >> the movie, I feel compelled to peel them out.

    You're not alone. I do the same thing.

    >> Normally, it's not a problem as they peel free from
    >> the DVD case pretty easily. But I just can't fucking
    >> stand when I buy a box set or some collector DVD and
    >> they go through the trouble of prying up the clear
    >> tray to attach the strip under it. Dozens of square
    >> inches of packaging and they have to put it under the
    >> tray, which wouldn't even be so bad, except do they
    >> do the intelligent thing and attach it to the plastic
    >> tray? Hell, no, they attach it to the paper backing
    >> so any attempt to remove it fucks up the package.

    I hear ya.

    > It's the shoplifters that force retail stores to take such
    > measures, so blame them.

    Sure, but that's beside the point.

    > In the meantime, is this really important?

    In the overall scheme of things, no.

    > Does it impact your DVD experience in any way, shape or form?

    Not really.

    > The answer is no, so maybe you could just try not caring
    > about it - there are far more important things for you to
    > worry about than this. :)

    Of course there are. But everyone has their pet peeves,
    and this is one that some of us have. When I used to buy
    used DVDs at Blockbuster, I had the compulsion to peel
    those price stickers off the back of the keepcase, too.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, May 26, 2004
  8. Mister Dragon

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Mike Kohary wrote on [Wed, 26 May 2004 11:21:51 -0700]:
    >> Mister Dragon wrote:
    >>> Am I the only one who can't stand security strips? Evil, black,
    >>> plastic adhesive strips. I can't stand having them in my DVDs and
    >>> before I can even watch the movie, I feel compelled to peel them
    >>> out.
    >>>
    >>> Normally, it's not a problem as they peel free from the DVD case
    >>> pretty easily. But I just can't fucking stand when I buy a box set
    >>> or some collector DVD and they go through the trouble of prying up
    >>> the clear tray to attach the strip under it. Dozens of square
    >>> inches of packaging and they have to put it under the tray, which
    >>> wouldn't even be so bad, except do they do the intelligent thing
    >>> and attach it to the plastic tray? Hell, no, they attach it to the
    >>> paper backing so any attempt to remove it fucks up the package.
    >>>
    >>> Surely I'm not alone in my derision of these things? And who am I
    >>> to be directing my ire towards? Is it the studios releasing them
    >>> or the stores selling them that insist on their inclusion?

    >> It's the shoplifters that force retail stores to take such measures,
    >> so blame them. In the meantime, is this really important? Does it
    >> impact your DVD experience in any way, shape or form? The answer is
    >> no, so maybe you could just try not caring about it - there are far
    >> more important things for you to worry about than this. :)

    > I've bought a couple of box sets that included the strip right on the
    > cardboad that inhibits the discs moving in and out of the box.
    > Slipcase type box set.

    I suppose they could place them more conveniently sometimes. Still, I don't
    begrudge retailers from insisting on this practice, considering the
    astounding losses they incur from shoplifting.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, May 27, 2004
  9. Mister Dragon

    Cernovog Guest

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 8:42:00 -0400, Mike Kohary wrote
    (in message <c94nmp$qgs$>):

    > I suppose they could place them more conveniently sometimes. Still, I don't
    > begrudge retailers from insisting on this practice, considering the
    > astounding losses they incur from shoplifting.

    If they're attached to a plastic part of the case, they usually just pop
    right off, no problem. If they're attached to paper... that's a recipe for
    disaster (or at least disgruntlement).

    No one is condemning the store for using anti-theft measures, we're just
    condemning them for not managing their employees efficiently so it's not done
    in a boneheaded-fashion.

    My pet peeve, which is similar, is when they put labels (price tags, sale
    tags, etc.) over the part of the case that describes the movie and the
    features.

    It's important to me to know things like "Is this DVD in ENGLISH?"
    Cernovog, May 28, 2004
  10. Mister Dragon

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Cernovog wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 May 2004 8:42:00 -0400, Mike Kohary wrote
    > (in message <c94nmp$qgs$>):
    >
    >> I suppose they could place them more conveniently sometimes. Still,
    >> I don't begrudge retailers from insisting on this practice,
    >> considering the astounding losses they incur from shoplifting.

    > If they're attached to a plastic part of the case, they usually just
    > pop right off, no problem. If they're attached to paper... that's a
    > recipe for disaster (or at least disgruntlement).
    >
    > No one is condemning the store for using anti-theft measures, we're
    > just condemning them for not managing their employees efficiently so
    > it's not done in a boneheaded-fashion.
    >
    > My pet peeve, which is similar, is when they put labels (price tags,
    > sale tags, etc.) over the part of the case that describes the movie
    > and the features.
    >
    > It's important to me to know things like "Is this DVD in ENGLISH?"

    I can buy into that. Let's start a petition! ;)

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, May 28, 2004
  11. Mister Dragon

    Brett Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote:

    > It's the shoplifters that force retail stores to take such measures, so
    > blame them. In the meantime, is this really important? Does it impact your
    > DVD experience in any way, shape or form? The answer is no, so maybe you
    > could just try not caring about it - there are far more important things for
    > you to worry about than this. :)
    >
    > Mike

    Mike - many members of this list are also collectors who do not want
    their purchases mutilated. You could try asking the store to remove the
    strips before you leave the store; if they ruin a box ask them to try
    another one; if they ruin the next one tell them you want to cancel the
    transaction. Maybe they have copies out the back sans tag.

    Failing that, use mailorder. It's a shame because I want smaller local
    stores to survive over the big mailorder corporations, but not at the
    expense of damaged goods.

    B.
    Brett, May 28, 2004
  12. Mister Dragon

    Biz Guest

    "Brett" <> wrote in message

    > Mike - many members of this list are also collectors who do not want
    > their purchases mutilated. You could try asking the store to remove the
    > strips before you leave the store; if they ruin a box ask them to try
    > another one; if they ruin the next one tell them you want to cancel the
    > transaction. Maybe they have copies out the back sans tag.
    >
    > Failing that, use mailorder. It's a shame because I want smaller local
    > stores to survive over the big mailorder corporations, but not at the
    > expense of damaged goods.
    >
    > B.

    No mutilation occurs if you just leave the damned things alone!
    Biz, May 28, 2004
  13. Mister Dragon

    Tarkus Guest

    On 5/28/2004 10:16:37 AM, Cernovog wrote:

    > If they're attached to a plastic part of the case, they usually just pop
    > right off, no problem. If they're attached to paper... that's a recipe for
    > disaster (or at least disgruntlement).
    >
    > No one is condemning the store for using anti-theft measures, we're just
    > condemning them for not managing their employees efficiently so it's not done
    > in a boneheaded-fashion.

    You really think they put those on in the store?
    --
    "This is Klahn's bodyguard - he is tough and ruthless.
    This is Klahn's chauffeur - he is rough and toothless."

    Now playing: the radio
    Tarkus, May 29, 2004
  14. Mister Dragon

    Justin Guest

    Brett wrote on [Sat, 29 May 2004 07:58:50 +1000]:
    > Mike Kohary wrote:
    >
    >> It's the shoplifters that force retail stores to take such measures, so
    >> blame them. In the meantime, is this really important? Does it impact your
    >> DVD experience in any way, shape or form? The answer is no, so maybe you
    >> could just try not caring about it - there are far more important things for
    >> you to worry about than this. :)
    >>
    >> Mike

    > Mike - many members of this list are also collectors who do not want
    > their purchases mutilated. You could try asking the store to remove the
    > strips before you leave the store; if they ruin a box ask them to try
    > another one; if they ruin the next one tell them you want to cancel the
    > transaction. Maybe they have copies out the back sans tag.

    Most of these tags are put it at the manufacturer...

    > Failing that, use mailorder. It's a shame because I want smaller local
    > stores to survive over the big mailorder corporations, but not at the
    > expense of damaged goods.

    Most of the discs I receive via mail order have the tags in them.
    Justin, May 29, 2004
  15. Mister Dragon

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Brett wrote:
    > Mike - many members of this list are also collectors who do not want
    > their purchases mutilated.

    The strips are put on at manufacture. Therefore to the "true" collector
    a disk without the strip is mutilated and incomplete.

    dick
    -- but that was true as soon as you removed the shrink wrap. And I
    actually remove the strips if they are easy to get to.
    Dick Sidbury, May 29, 2004
  16. Mister Dragon

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Brett wrote:
    > Mike Kohary wrote:
    >
    >> It's the shoplifters that force retail stores to take such measures,
    >> so blame them. In the meantime, is this really important? Does it
    >> impact your DVD experience in any way, shape or form? The answer is
    >> no, so maybe you could just try not caring about it - there are far
    >> more important things for you to worry about than this. :)

    > Mike - many members of this list are also collectors who do not want
    > their purchases mutilated. You could try asking the store to remove
    > the strips before you leave the store; if they ruin a box ask them to
    > try another one; if they ruin the next one tell them you want to
    > cancel the transaction. Maybe they have copies out the back sans tag.
    >
    > Failing that, use mailorder. It's a shame because I want smaller
    > local stores to survive over the big mailorder corporations, but not
    > at the expense of damaged goods.

    I'm a collector too, so I'm not unsympathetic. But I believe the
    manufacturer puts these strips on, so you're as apt to get them through
    mail-order too. My advice: just leave them alone. :)

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, May 29, 2004
  17. Mister Dragon

    Mark B. Guest

    "Ken L. Cheshire" <> wrote in message
    > You are definitely not alone.
    >
    > I believe the studios who are at fault. However, I have noticed that
    > there are fewer of them on DVDs I purchase online as opposed to brick
    > and mortar stores.

    That's because online stores don't have to worry about inventory shrink
    (i.e. theft) like brick & mortar stores do.

    Mark
    Mark B., May 31, 2004
  18. Mister Dragon

    Mark B. Guest

    "Cernovog" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 27 May 2004 8:42:00 -0400, Mike Kohary wrote
    > (in message <c94nmp$qgs$>):
    >
    > > I suppose they could place them more conveniently sometimes. Still, I

    don't
    > > begrudge retailers from insisting on this practice, considering the
    > > astounding losses they incur from shoplifting.

    > If they're attached to a plastic part of the case, they usually just pop
    > right off, no problem. If they're attached to paper... that's a recipe for
    > disaster (or at least disgruntlement).
    >
    > No one is condemning the store for using anti-theft measures, we're just
    > condemning them for not managing their employees efficiently so it's not

    done
    > in a boneheaded-fashion.

    Security tags are put on at the time of packaging by the studio, not in the
    store.

    > My pet peeve, which is similar, is when they put labels (price tags, sale
    > tags, etc.) over the part of the case that describes the movie and the
    > features.
    >
    > It's important to me to know things like "Is this DVD in ENGLISH?"

    I agree, that can be annoying. Other than that, they're easy to ignore.

    Mark
    Mark B., May 31, 2004