    see if I get a response.

    Anyone else have a comment?
    , Jun 18, 2006

  2. Kevin Weaver Guest

    Put yourself in the store eyes. Sticker cost 1cent. Price of dvd 5.00-7.00
    (store cost on a 10.00 dvd)
    Which would you rather spend.

    To remove the sticker. Lighter fluid.

    Kevin Weaver, Jun 19, 2006

    Fred C. Dobbs, Jun 19, 2006
  4. On 18 Jun 2006 14:49:04 -0700, wrote:

    >Is anyone else as frustrated as I am about the number of security
    >stickers they put on the dvd cases? Yesterday I bought 2 of the new
    >Peanuts dvds. First, is it really necessary to put 2 security stickers,
    >plus the one on the top for a dvd thats priced at $10? That seems
    >excessive to me.
    >
    >But that wasnt the worst part. Getting them off is is even harder. All
    >3 stickers left a huge amount of glue residue and the case looks like
    >complete crap now. I have to waste more money to buy some blank dvd
    >cases. I went to the Paramount website to let them know, and guess
    >what? There is no way to contact them through email. Only an address
    >and a phone number that is not toll free.
    >
    >The same thing happened when I purchased the new 2 disc Princess Bride.
    >The stickers left a big mess. MGM did have a contact form, so we will
    >see if I get a response.
    >
    >Anyone else have a comment?

    Try using a hair dryer, It will help soften the glue and make it easy
    to remove the stickers, but don't get too close it will shrink and
    distort the clear plastic cover on the case..
    Fred C. Dobbs, Jun 19, 2006
  5. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On 18 Jun 2006 14:49:04 -0700, Gave us:

    >Is anyone else as frustrated as I am about the number of security
    >stickers they put on the dvd cases? Yesterday I bought 2 of the new
    >Peanuts dvds. First, is it really necessary to put 2 security stickers,
    >plus the one on the top for a dvd thats priced at $10? That seems
    >excessive to me.
    >
    >But that wasnt the worst part. Getting them off is is even harder. All
    >3 stickers left a huge amount of glue residue and the case looks like
    >complete crap now. I have to waste more money to buy some blank dvd
    >cases. I went to the Paramount website to let them know, and guess
    >what? There is no way to contact them through email. Only an address
    >and a phone number that is not toll free.
    >
    >The same thing happened when I purchased the new 2 disc Princess Bride.
    >The stickers left a big mess. MGM did have a contact form, so we will
    >see if I get a response.
    >
    >Anyone else have a comment?

    Yes. You do not know how to remove the stickers.

    The key is NOT to attempt to "get under" the sticker. You must
    "flick" at the edge until it comes up, THEN grab that flicked tab and
    begin pulling it off. They come off free and easy, and very few I
    have have left behind adhesive, which is A: usually due to an aging
    problem with the glue and b: removable with the right solvent/cleaner.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 19, 2006
  6. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 23:18:53 GMT, "Kevin Weaver"
    <> Gave us:

    >Put yourself in the store eyes. Sticker cost 1cent. Price of dvd 5.00-7.00
    >(store cost on a 10.00 dvd)
    >Which would you rather spend.

    The stickers are in place before the stores even get the discs. So
    your "cost" is not even part of their cost of getting the discs.

    >To remove the sticker. Lighter fluid.

    Aside from the fact that you are a top posting Usenet retard...

    Lighter fluid is likely a bad choice.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 19, 2006
  7. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:30:33 -0700, Fred C. Dobbs <>
    Gave us:

    >On 18 Jun 2006 14:49:04 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>Is anyone else as frustrated as I am about the number of security
    >>stickers they put on the dvd cases? Yesterday I bought 2 of the new
    >>Peanuts dvds. First, is it really necessary to put 2 security stickers,
    >>plus the one on the top for a dvd thats priced at $10? That seems
    >>excessive to me.
    >>
    >>But that wasnt the worst part. Getting them off is is even harder. All
    >>3 stickers left a huge amount of glue residue and the case looks like
    >>complete crap now. I have to waste more money to buy some blank dvd
    >>cases. I went to the Paramount website to let them know, and guess
    >>what? There is no way to contact them through email. Only an address
    >>and a phone number that is not toll free.
    >>
    >>The same thing happened when I purchased the new 2 disc Princess Bride.
    >>The stickers left a big mess. MGM did have a contact form, so we will
    >>see if I get a response.
    >>
    >>Anyone else have a comment?

    >Try using a hair dryer, It will help soften the glue and make it easy
    >to remove the stickers, but don't get too close it will shrink and
    >distort the clear plastic cover on the case..

    Yet another not so bright choice of actions.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 19, 2006
  8. Kevin Weaver Guest

    Likely ? Come on, you can do better then that asshole.

    Top posting. Now that I know it pisses you off, I'll keep doing it. :)

    Kevin Weaver, Jun 19, 2006
  9. Kevin Weaver Guest

    Bad choice! Alex, I'll take remove stickers for 200.00

    Kevin Weaver, Jun 19, 2006
  10. Jordan Guest

    wrote:

    > But that wasnt the worst part. Getting them off is is even harder. All
    > 3 stickers left a huge amount of glue residue and the case looks like
    > complete crap now.

    Two tips:

    1) Put your hand over the sticker for a few seconds before peeling it
    off. The warmth of your hand will loosen the glue and let it pull away
    cleanly.

    2) For the cases that are already gummed up, take the paper sleeve out
    of the case and clean up the plastic with Goo Gone and some Q-Tips.

    http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.shtml

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Jun 19, 2006
  11. Justin Guest

    wrote on [18 Jun 2006 14:49:04 -0700]:
    > Is anyone else as frustrated as I am about the number of security
    > stickers they put on the dvd cases? Yesterday I bought 2 of the new
    > Peanuts dvds. First, is it really necessary to put 2 security stickers,
    > plus the one on the top for a dvd thats priced at $10? That seems
    > excessive to me.
    >
    > But that wasnt the worst part. Getting them off is is even harder. All
    > 3 stickers left a huge amount of glue residue and the case looks like
    > complete crap now. I have to waste more money to buy some blank dvd
    > cases. I went to the Paramount website to let them know, and guess
    > what? There is no way to contact them through email. Only an address
    > and a phone number that is not toll free.
    >
    > The same thing happened when I purchased the new 2 disc Princess Bride.
    > The stickers left a big mess. MGM did have a contact form, so we will
    > see if I get a response.
    >
    > Anyone else have a comment?

    Goo gone works well.

    It's a shame that they put so much effort into protecting something and
    so little into making it easy to remove these protections once an item
    is purchased and added to a collection. It will spend many more years on
    a shelf in a house than on a shelf in a store.
    Justin, Jun 19, 2006
  12. Justin Guest

    Roy L Fuchs wrote on [Sun, 18 Jun 2006 23:46:47 GMT]:
    > On 18 Jun 2006 14:49:04 -0700, Gave us:
    >
    >>Is anyone else as frustrated as I am about the number of security
    >>stickers they put on the dvd cases? Yesterday I bought 2 of the new
    >>Peanuts dvds. First, is it really necessary to put 2 security stickers,
    >>plus the one on the top for a dvd thats priced at $10? That seems
    >>excessive to me.
    >>
    >>But that wasnt the worst part. Getting them off is is even harder. All
    >>3 stickers left a huge amount of glue residue and the case looks like
    >>complete crap now. I have to waste more money to buy some blank dvd
    >>cases. I went to the Paramount website to let them know, and guess
    >>what? There is no way to contact them through email. Only an address
    >>and a phone number that is not toll free.
    >>
    >>The same thing happened when I purchased the new 2 disc Princess Bride.
    >>The stickers left a big mess. MGM did have a contact form, so we will
    >>see if I get a response.
    >>
    >>Anyone else have a comment?

    > Yes. You do not know how to remove the stickers.
    >
    > The key is NOT to attempt to "get under" the sticker. You must
    > "flick" at the edge until it comes up, THEN grab that flicked tab and
    > begin pulling it off. They come off free and easy, and very few I
    > have have left behind adhesive, which is A: usually due to an aging
    > problem with the glue and b: removable with the right solvent/cleaner.

    Just slice them down the middle, in the joint between the two halves of
    the case. Pull each half of sticker off and there's not stretching of
    the plastic of the DVD case and very little residue, if any, left
    behind.
    Justin, Jun 19, 2006
  13. Justin Guest

    Kevin Weaver wrote on [Mon, 19 Jun 2006 04:14:04 GMT]:
    > Bad choice! Alex, I'll take remove stickers for 200.00

    dick
    Justin, Jun 19, 2006
  14. Kevin Weaver Guest

    Maybe the 200.00 question would be to much for you to take on. I suggest
    "Remove stickers" for 50.00

    Kevin Weaver, Jun 19, 2006
  15. Justin Guest

    Kevin Weaver, the top posting jerk, wrote on [Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:35:20 GMT]:
    > Maybe the 200.00 question would be to much for you to take on. I suggest
    > "Remove stickers" for 50.00

    How about Internet and Usenet etiquette for free? I know you get that
    wrong.
    Justin, Jun 19, 2006
  16. Kevin Weaver Guest

    Ahh, Top posting upset you ? Cool!

    Kevin Weaver, Jun 19, 2006
  17. Tarkus Guest

    On 6/19/2006 6:49:57 AM, Justin wrote:

    > It's a shame that they put so much effort into protecting something and
    > so little into making it easy to remove these protections once an item
    > is purchased and added to a collection. It will spend many more years
    > on a shelf in a house than on a shelf in a store.

    Worse is the hard plastic clamshell (or whatever it's called) packaging
    on many electronics. I read a recent article that quoted hospital staff
    who said they get a few cases a year of people cutting themselves
    (sometimes fairly seriously) on that crap. Even with scissors, it can
    often be a bitch to remove while keeping the sharp plastic away from your
    skin.
    --
    "Very few cartoons are broadcast live. It's a terrible strain on the
    animator's wrist."

    Now playing: "Rush - Territories"
    Tarkus, Jun 19, 2006
  18. SirDeuce Guest

    If I get any residue, I just take the sticker and dab at the residue,
    sticky side out, and repeat until the residue is removed. No chemicals
    involved, just a lot of annoying sick-unstick sounds.
    SirDeuce, Jun 19, 2006
  19. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:51:07 -0500, Justin <> Gave
    us:

    >Roy L Fuchs wrote on [Sun, 18 Jun 2006 23:46:47 GMT]:
    >> On 18 Jun 2006 14:49:04 -0700, Gave us:
    >>
    >>>Is anyone else as frustrated as I am about the number of security
    >>>stickers they put on the dvd cases? Yesterday I bought 2 of the new
    >>>Peanuts dvds. First, is it really necessary to put 2 security stickers,
    >>>plus the one on the top for a dvd thats priced at $10? That seems
    >>>excessive to me.
    >>>
    >>>But that wasnt the worst part. Getting them off is is even harder. All
    >>>3 stickers left a huge amount of glue residue and the case looks like
    >>>complete crap now. I have to waste more money to buy some blank dvd
    >>>cases. I went to the Paramount website to let them know, and guess
    >>>what? There is no way to contact them through email. Only an address
    >>>and a phone number that is not toll free.
    >>>
    >>>The same thing happened when I purchased the new 2 disc Princess Bride.
    >>>The stickers left a big mess. MGM did have a contact form, so we will
    >>>see if I get a response.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone else have a comment?

    >> Yes. You do not know how to remove the stickers.
    >>
    >> The key is NOT to attempt to "get under" the sticker. You must
    >> "flick" at the edge until it comes up, THEN grab that flicked tab and
    >> begin pulling it off. They come off free and easy, and very few I
    >> have have left behind adhesive, which is A: usually due to an aging
    >> problem with the glue and b: removable with the right solvent/cleaner.

    >Just slice them down the middle, in the joint between the two halves of
    >the case. Pull each half of sticker off and there's not stretching of
    >the plastic of the DVD case and very little residue, if any, left
    >behind.

    That may be true but have very nearly always been able to get them up
    without slicing them, and without damaging the case in any way.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 20, 2006
  20. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:47:08 GMT, "Kevin Weaver"
    <> Gave us:

    >Ahh, Top posting upset you ? Cool!

    Plonk! to the utter, deliberately retarded, asswipe!
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 20, 2006