security software needed

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by David D, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. David D

    David D Guest

    Hi all,

    I am in charge of a small computer lab that has 5 older computers, with
    windows 95 and 98, and do not even have a cd-rom drive. I was wondering if
    someone can recommend a security program that can fit on a floppy disk, and
    can be loaded onto each computer. We don't have a budget for the computers,
    but I don't mind paying around $40 or so.

    Some features I am looking for include:

    - Protects important files and folders from being tampered with, including
    the windows and program files folders.

    - locks the desktop, keeping shortcuts from being deleted - I would like
    for the users just to be able to access the desktop, and nothing else.

    - logs time spent on computer - this isn't especially important right now,
    but will be when we get an internet connection.

    I would really appreciate any suggestions.

    Thanks,
    David

    David D, Aug 2, 2004

  2. On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 06:29:46 -0500, "David D" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I am in charge of a small computer lab that has 5 older computers, with
    >windows 95 and 98, and do not even have a cd-rom drive. I was wondering if
    >someone can recommend a security program that can fit on a floppy disk, and
    >can be loaded onto each computer. We don't have a budget for the computers,
    >but I don't mind paying around $40 or so.
    >
    >Some features I am looking for include:
    >
    > - Protects important files and folders from being tampered with, including
    >the windows and program files folders.
    >
    > - locks the desktop, keeping shortcuts from being deleted - I would like
    >for the users just to be able to access the desktop, and nothing else.
    >
    > - logs time spent on computer - this isn't especially important right now,
    >but will be when we get an internet connection.
    >
    >I would really appreciate any suggestions.

    Some of what you need is already included in Windows - have a look at
    the help files about setting up 'users' and controlling their access
    to certain areas of the operating system.

    Regards,

    www.shwoodwind.co.uk

    Stephen Howard, Aug 2, 2004

  3. David D wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I am in charge of a small computer lab that has 5 older computers, with
    >windows 95 and 98, and do not even have a cd-rom drive. I was wondering if
    >someone can recommend a security program that can fit on a floppy disk, and
    >can be loaded onto each computer. We don't have a budget for the computers,
    >but I don't mind paying around $40 or so.
    >
    >Some features I am looking for include:
    >
    > - Protects important files and folders from being tampered with, including
    >the windows and program files folders.
    >
    > - locks the desktop, keeping shortcuts from being deleted - I would like
    >for the users just to be able to access the desktop, and nothing else.
    >
    > - logs time spent on computer - this isn't especially important right now,
    >but will be when we get an internet connection.
    >
    >I would really appreciate any suggestions.

    This may be of some help. It doesn't do everything, but it's a start:
    http://www.xploiter.com/tambu/regwack.html

    Micheal Robert Zium, Aug 3, 2004