    Kyle

    $1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
    reply. Money gets faster attention :)

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, May 3, 2005

  2. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    pcbutts1 Guest

    What exactly are you trying to do? and with what program.

    pcbutts1, May 4, 2005

  3. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > Running Windblows XP SP-2 with a drive set up NTFS. I have a file I want
    > set so that a program cannot alter the file. The instructions I have are
    > as follows:
    >
    > Modify the "security" settings to prevent the application from modifying
    > the changes you have made to the file. Set ONLY "read" and "read/execute"
    > priviliges and DO NOT allow inheritance from the parent.
    >
    > Okay ... this means ... what? And how do you do this? Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > Kyle
    >
    > Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests of
    > $1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
    > obvious to the obvious. Oh, and if you must abuse or insult, don't expect
    > a reply. Money gets faster attention :)

    You use Explorer and go to the file and right-click it Properties and select
    the Security Tab and figure it out. Of course, the account you are using
    must have the privileges set on the file to make the necessary security
    changes or use an user account the has Administrator rights. The O/S also
    has a Help facility if you need more information.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 4, 2005
  4. In news:SiVde.50908$c24.4618@attbi_s72, Duane Arnold <> first
    attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next used
    sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
    paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
    this:

    > You use Explorer and go to the file and right-click it Properties and
    > select the Security Tab and figure it out. Of course, the account you
    > are using must have the privileges set on the file to make the
    > necessary security changes or use an user account the has
    > Administrator rights. The O/S also has a Help facility if you need
    > more information.
    > Duane :)

    Thanks for answering Duane! I did as you said, but there's no "Security"
    tab with I right-click the file. I'm the only user of the PC so I should
    have Administrator rights, correct? So how do I get this "security" tab to
    appear? If it matters any, the file is inside of the C:\Program Files area.

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, May 4, 2005
  5. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I ask again, what are you trying to do and with what program. Do you have XP
    Home or Pro? Windows XP Home does not have file access control, so all users
    of the machine have access to all files in the same way as on Windows 98 so
    you will not see a security tab. Under Windows XP Professional access can be
    restricted so that users can only see their own files. Windows XP
    Professional can be configured to have encrypted file systems that are
    pretty secure.

    pcbutts1, May 4, 2005
  6. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Forgot to add Windows XP Home allows you to assign NTFS permissions to files
    and folders, but the range of permissions is limited. Instead of granular
    NTFS based access controls, Windows XP Home implements something called
    "Simple File Sharing". The Simple File Sharing scheme allows you to assign
    files and folders a predefined level of access.

    pcbutts1, May 4, 2005
  7. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > In news:SiVde.50908$c24.4618@attbi_s72, Duane Arnold <>
    > first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so
    > next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched
    > to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to
    > keyboard for this:
    >>
    >> You use Explorer and go to the file and right-click it Properties and
    >> select the Security Tab and figure it out. Of course, the account you
    >> are using must have the privileges set on the file to make the
    >> necessary security changes or use an user account the has
    >> Administrator rights. The O/S also has a Help facility if you need
    >> more information.
    >> Duane :)

    > Thanks for answering Duane! I did as you said, but there's no "Security"
    > tab with I right-click the file. I'm the only user of the PC so I should
    > have Administrator rights, correct? So how do I get this "security" tab
    > to appear? If it matters any, the file is inside of the C:\Program Files
    > area.

    Well that would mean that the file system that is being used is a FAT32 file
    system and that type of file system being used by the XP Home NT based O/S
    has no file security that can be set for a file. You will need to use the
    NTFS file system on the XP Home NT based O/S so that you can set file
    permissions as needed.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    You use the Convert utility on the XP O/S to convert the file system from
    FAT32 over to NTFS and then the Security tab will show.

    You can look-up the Convert command with XP Help facility.

    The Convert command is a piece of cake to use.

    And you don't have the Security Tab, because NTFS is not being used as the
    file system.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/DiskMgmt/filesystems.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 4, 2005
  8. In news:fGYde.51712$c24.34372@attbi_s72, Duane Arnold <>
    first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
    used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
    paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
    this:

    > Well that would mean that the file system that is being used is a
    > FAT32 file system and that type of file system being used by the XP
    > Home NT based O/S has no file security that can be set for a file.
    > You will need to use the NTFS file system on the XP Home NT based O/S
    > so that you can set file permissions as needed.
    >
    > http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm
    >
    > You use the Convert utility on the XP O/S to convert the file system
    > from FAT32 over to NTFS and then the Security tab will show.
    >
    > You can look-up the Convert command with XP Help facility.
    >
    > The Convert command is a piece of cake to use.
    >
    > And you don't have the Security Tab, because NTFS is not being used
    > as the file system.
    >
    > http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/DiskMgmt/filesystems.htm
    >
    > Duane :)

    Very odd again ... because it does say that my C-dive is set as a file
    system of NTFS. I've set up a shared PC to view certain files in my Shared
    Documents folder and also to access my printer ... so I know that something
    must be working as far as security goes. I'm perplexed!

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, May 4, 2005
  9. "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <> wrote in message
    > In news:fGYde.51712$c24.34372@attbi_s72, Duane Arnold <>
    > first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so
    > next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched
    > to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to
    > keyboard for this:
    >>
    >> Well that would mean that the file system that is being used is a
    >> FAT32 file system and that type of file system being used by the XP
    >> Home NT based O/S has no file security that can be set for a file.
    >> You will need to use the NTFS file system on the XP Home NT based O/S
    >> so that you can set file permissions as needed.
    >>
    >> http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm
    >>
    >> You use the Convert utility on the XP O/S to convert the file system
    >> from FAT32 over to NTFS and then the Security tab will show.
    >>
    >> You can look-up the Convert command with XP Help facility.
    >>
    >> The Convert command is a piece of cake to use.
    >>
    >> And you don't have the Security Tab, because NTFS is not being used
    >> as the file system.
    >>
    >> http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/DiskMgmt/filesystems.htm
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Very odd again ... because it does say that my C-dive is set as a file
    > system of NTFS. I've set up a shared PC to view certain files in my
    > Shared Documents folder and also to access my printer ... so I know that
    > something must be working as far as security goes. I'm perplexed!

    I would think that XP Home would be close to XP Pro as far as NTFS being
    used. I have never used XP Home only Pro. So maybe, you cannot do what you
    can on Pro with Home. But that doesn't make much sense if MS has done that.
    Why have NTFS if you cannot use its security features? Maybe you need to
    set XP for *Classic* View so that the screens look like the Win 2k O/S
    screens without all the fancy XP screen format may be the Tab will appear.
    You can search Google on how to set XP screens for *Classic* view and you
    might wan to search on *How to set NTFS file permissions on XP Home* if that
    exist. You can use Dogpile.com for the search engine too.

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 5, 2005
  10. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I ask again, what are you trying to do and with what program. Do you have XP
    Home or Pro? Last time.

    pcbutts1, May 5, 2005

  11. >
    > Very odd again ... because it does say that my C-dive is set as a file
    > system of NTFS. I've set up a shared PC to view certain files in my
    > Shared Documents folder and also to access my printer ... so I know that
    > something must be working as far as security goes. I'm perplexed!

    There you go out of Ohio.

    I see no reason as the why you cannot see that Security Tab. However, you
    can take the path for XP Home and * Troubleshoot as to why that Security Tab
    is not appearing.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418&sd=tech

    One thing I have heard is that you cannot un-check Simple File Sharing on
    XP -- I have to wonder about that. Why in the heck would MS have all this
    NTFS and you cannot set user permissions for a folder or file. It makes no
    sense.

    Duane :) use to live in Columbus and Dayton too and maybe coming back soon
    to O h I o. ;-)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 5, 2005
  12. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-) wrote:
    >>Very odd again ... because it does say that my C-dive is set as a file
    >>system of NTFS. I've set up a shared PC to view certain files in my
    >>Shared Documents folder and also to access my printer ... so I know that
    >>something must be working as far as security goes. I'm perplexed!
    >>

    > There you go out of Ohio.
    >
    > I see no reason as the why you cannot see that Security Tab. However, you
    > can take the path for XP Home and * Troubleshoot as to why that Security Tab
    > is not appearing.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418&sd=tech
    >
    > One thing I have heard is that you cannot un-check Simple File Sharing on
    > XP -- I have to wonder about that. Why in the heck would MS have all this
    > NTFS and you cannot set user permissions for a folder or file. It makes no
    > sense.

    Does seem odd doesn't it? According to
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/ Simple File Sharing can not be
    disabled in XP Home.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 5, 2005
  13. "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-) wrote:
    >>>Very odd again ... because it does say that my C-dive is set as a file
    >>>system of NTFS. I've set up a shared PC to view certain files in my
    >>>Shared Documents folder and also to access my printer ... so I know that
    >>>something must be working as far as security goes. I'm perplexed!
    >>>

    >> There you go out of Ohio.
    >>
    >> I see no reason as the why you cannot see that Security Tab. However, you
    >> can take the path for XP Home and * Troubleshoot as to why that Security
    >> Tab is not appearing.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418&sd=tech
    >>
    >> One thing I have heard is that you cannot un-check Simple File Sharing on
    >> XP -- I have to wonder about that. Why in the heck would MS have all this
    >> NTFS and you cannot set user permissions for a folder or file. It makes
    >> no sense.
    >>

    > Does seem odd doesn't it? According to
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/ Simple File Sharing can not be
    > disabled in XP Home.

    Well I enabled Simple File Sharing on Pro to play with it. It looks like MS
    for some reason came to the conclusion that in order to share a file on XP
    Home, it has to be in that Share Folder on the machine for XP Home and you
    cannot just go to another folder or files in a folder and share them in a
    networking situation. That also means that NTFS file permissions cannot be
    set either. That's to bad for Home users as one cannot set security on Home
    like one can on Pro. They should remove that restriction off of Home IMHO.

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 5, 2005
  14. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-) wrote:
    > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message

    >>>There you go out of Ohio.
    >>>
    >>>I see no reason as the why you cannot see that Security Tab. However, you
    >>>can take the path for XP Home and * Troubleshoot as to why that Security
    >>>Tab is not appearing.
    >>>
    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418&sd=tech
    >>>
    >>>One thing I have heard is that you cannot un-check Simple File Sharing on
    >>>XP -- I have to wonder about that. Why in the heck would MS have all this
    >>>NTFS and you cannot set user permissions for a folder or file. It makes
    >>>no sense.
    >>>

    >>Does seem odd doesn't it? According to
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/ Simple File Sharing can not be
    >>disabled in XP Home.
    >>

    > Well I enabled Simple File Sharing on Pro to play with it. It looks like MS
    > for some reason came to the conclusion that in order to share a file on XP
    > Home, it has to be in that Share Folder on the machine for XP Home and you
    > cannot just go to another folder or files in a folder and share them in a
    > networking situation.

    Yes, that is right with files - AFAIK they must be in *a* shared folder.
    As far as folders are concerned though, they may be shared on the
    network without any problems in XP Home, at which time any files within
    them are also shared. The "Shared Folder" is used to share with other
    users on the computer, not necessarily the network.

    That also means that NTFS file permissions cannot be
    > set either. That's to bad for Home users as one cannot set security on Home
    > like one can on Pro. They should remove that restriction off of Home IMHO.

    It is also one of the differences between the two versions used to
    justify the price difference! I run both versions and for my usage,
    Home would be fine.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 5, 2005
  15. "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-) wrote:
    >> "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message

    >>>Does seem odd doesn't it? According to
    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/ Simple File Sharing can not be
    >>>disabled in XP Home.
    >>>

    >> Well I enabled Simple File Sharing on Pro to play with it. It looks like
    >> MS for some reason came to the conclusion that in order to share a file
    >> on XP Home, it has to be in that Share Folder on the machine for XP Home
    >> and you cannot just go to another folder or files in a folder and share
    >> them in a networking situation.

    > Yes, that is right with files - AFAIK they must be in *a* shared folder.
    > As far as folders are concerned though, they may be shared on the network
    > without any problems in XP Home, at which time any files within them are
    > also shared. The "Shared Folder" is used to share with other users on
    > the computer, not necessarily the network.

    Is that right you right-click a folder and share it with no problems? It is
    rediculous. ;-) Can you set permissions of the folder on Home?

    > That also means that NTFS file permissions cannot be
    >> set either. That's to bad for Home users as one cannot set security on
    >> Home like one can on Pro. They should remove that restriction off of Home
    >> IMHO.
    >>

    > It is also one of the differences between the two versions used to justify
    > the price difference! I run both versions and for my usage, Home would
    > be fine.

    Well to me it comes down to MS doesn't have IIS on Home which would be a
    major area where one would need NTFS so that the file system could be made
    secure if IIS was exposed to the public Internet using Pro, along with other
    differences between the two O/S(s) that would drive the price up for Pro.

    But anyway, the only way I would have Home is if someone gave it to me and
    I didn't have to pay for it, because of the SFS on Home cannot be disabled.
    I even looked on Google for a registry hack.

    Duane :)

    Duane :)But you cannot set

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 5, 2005
  16. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-) wrote:

    > Is that right you right-click a folder and share it with no problems? It is
    > rediculous. ;-) Can you set permissions of the folder on Home?

    Yes, exactly. Right click on a folder, and select to share the folder
    on the network. It may be given a name, and there is another checkbox
    to allow network users to change files.

    >> That also means that NTFS file permissions cannot be
    >>
    >>>set either. That's to bad for Home users as one cannot set security on
    >>>Home like one can on Pro. They should remove that restriction off of Home
    >>>IMHO.
    >>>

    >>It is also one of the differences between the two versions used to justify
    >>the price difference! I run both versions and for my usage, Home would
    >>be fine.

    > Well to me it comes down to MS doesn't have IIS on Home which would be a
    > major area where one would need NTFS so that the file system could be made
    > secure if IIS was exposed to the public Internet using Pro, along with other
    > differences between the two O/S(s) that would drive the price up for Pro.
    >
    > But anyway, the only way I would have Home is if someone gave it to me and
    > I didn't have to pay for it, because of the SFS on Home cannot be disabled.
    > I even looked on Google for a registry hack.

    Fair enough.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 5, 2005
  17. In news:_Fcee.56591$c24.40441@attbi_s72, Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-)
    <> first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing
    was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and
    then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed
    fingers to keyboard for this:

    > I would think that XP Home would be close to XP Pro as far as NTFS
    > being used. I have never used XP Home only Pro. So maybe, you cannot
    > do what you can on Pro with Home. But that doesn't make much sense if
    > MS has done that. Why have NTFS if you cannot use its security
    > features? Maybe you need to set XP for *Classic* View so that the
    > screens look like the Win 2k O/S screens without all the fancy XP
    > screen format may be the Tab will appear. You can search Google on
    > how to set XP screens for *Classic* view and you might wan to search
    > on *How to set NTFS file permissions on XP Home* if that exist. You
    > can use Dogpile.com for the search engine too.
    > Duane :)

    Yes it is weird, but I will check into all your links and see what I can
    find :)

    In the meantime ... to try and prevent this file (Index.dat) from being
    re-written, can I just mark it as a Read Only and basically keep the file
    as-is? From what I understand that should work. But I'm no expert when it
    comes to programs accessing files and if they can "override" my own settings
    for a file. Thanks :)

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, May 6, 2005
  18. In news:_Fcee.56591$c24.40441@attbi_s72, Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-)
    <> first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing
    was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and
    then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed
    fingers to keyboard for this:

    > I would think that XP Home would be close to XP Pro as far as NTFS
    > being used. I have never used XP Home only Pro. So maybe, you cannot
    > do what you can on Pro with Home. But that doesn't make much sense if
    > MS has done that. Why have NTFS if you cannot use its security
    > features? Maybe you need to set XP for *Classic* View so that the
    > screens look like the Win 2k O/S screens without all the fancy XP
    > screen format may be the Tab will appear. You can search Google on
    > how to set XP screens for *Classic* view and you might wan to search
    > on *How to set NTFS file permissions on XP Home* if that exist. You
    > can use Dogpile.com for the search engine too.
    > Duane :)

    BTW ... I just checked my System and I didn't know this before (as this was
    a PC built by someone else for me) but I do have XP Pro on here. Says:

    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, May 6, 2005
  19. "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <> wrote in message
    > In news:_Fcee.56591$c24.40441@attbi_s72, Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-)
    > <> first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing
    > was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and
    > then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed
    > fingers to keyboard for this:
    >>
    >> I would think that XP Home would be close to XP Pro as far as NTFS
    >> being used. I have never used XP Home only Pro. So maybe, you cannot
    >> do what you can on Pro with Home. But that doesn't make much sense if
    >> MS has done that. Why have NTFS if you cannot use its security
    >> features? Maybe you need to set XP for *Classic* View so that the
    >> screens look like the Win 2k O/S screens without all the fancy XP
    >> screen format may be the Tab will appear. You can search Google on
    >> how to set XP screens for *Classic* view and you might wan to search
    >> on *How to set NTFS file permissions on XP Home* if that exist. You
    >> can use Dogpile.com for the search engine too.
    >> Duane :)

    > BTW ... I just checked my System and I didn't know this before (as this
    > was a PC built by someone else for me) but I do have XP Pro on here.
    > Says:
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

    Well if you really do have XP Pro, then you should be able to un-check the
    Simple File Sharing setting and the Security Tab should then be displayed
    to you so that you can set folder of file security using NTFS.

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 6, 2005
  20. "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <> wrote in message
    > In news:_Fcee.56591$c24.40441@attbi_s72, Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-)
    > <> first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing
    > was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and
    > then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed
    > fingers to keyboard for this:
    >>
    >> I would think that XP Home would be close to XP Pro as far as NTFS
    >> being used. I have never used XP Home only Pro. So maybe, you cannot
    >> do what you can on Pro with Home. But that doesn't make much sense if
    >> MS has done that. Why have NTFS if you cannot use its security
    >> features? Maybe you need to set XP for *Classic* View so that the
    >> screens look like the Win 2k O/S screens without all the fancy XP
    >> screen format may be the Tab will appear. You can search Google on
    >> how to set XP screens for *Classic* view and you might wan to search
    >> on *How to set NTFS file permissions on XP Home* if that exist. You
    >> can use Dogpile.com for the search engine too.
    >> Duane :)

    > Yes it is weird, but I will check into all your links and see what I can
    > find :)
    >
    > In the meantime ... to try and prevent this file (Index.dat) from being
    > re-written, can I just mark it as a Read Only and basically keep the file
    > as-is? From what I understand that should work. But I'm no expert when
    > it comes to programs accessing files and if they can "override" my own
    > settings for a file. Thanks :)

    Leave the index.dat file alone with trying to set some kind of permissions.
    The amount of disk space is miniscule that the files use. However, you can
    go delete them if you like by doing a search for them. I myself have never
    bothered about index.dat files being made. ;-)

    http://tinyurl.com/8a5k5

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 6, 2005