security question... win xp LAN hole?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Luke, Dec 13, 2006.

  1. Luke

    Luke Guest

    Hi everybody,
    Here is my question:
    I have my personal PC in my office, for my privacy i installed safeguard
    easy 4.20 (www.utimaco.com) encrypting the entire hard disk and with a logon
    screen that prompt for the user/password before OS boot (win xp pro).
    The PC run in a LAN without domain, just a workgroup, windows firewall is
    enabled (i know it's not a good firewall) all MS fixes and patches are
    installed over the OS.
    So, there is no way to copy the hard disk if i physically mount it over
    another pc ('cause of the encryption).
    One person in my office sustain that he copied all my hard disk without
    telling me how he did that, so my doubt is that maybe he copied my data by
    the LAN.
    The PC is always on, locked with windows user and password prompt (press
    ctrl+alt+del to begin), the password is knew just by me, nobody know it, the
    users are Administrator and another user with administrator right (same
    password for both), guest user disabled. By a batch file in the startup
    program group i disable the administrative shares (c$, d$ etc etc), there is
    just a local folder shared over the lan that prompt for user and password
    every time i try to open it.
    So, how can he did that? he's not an hacker, i'm more expert that him, for
    now i just think that he's lying to me, but some doubts is still in my
    mind...
    thanx in advance for the replies, sorry for my english but i'm italian ;)

    Luke, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Luke

    keme Guest

    Luke skrev:
    > Hi everybody,
    > Here is my question:
    > I have my personal PC in my office, for my privacy i installed safeguard
    > easy 4.20 (www.utimaco.com) encrypting the entire hard disk and with a logon
    > screen that prompt for the user/password before OS boot (win xp pro).
    > The PC run in a LAN without domain, just a workgroup, windows firewall is
    > enabled (i know it's not a good firewall) all MS fixes and patches are
    > installed over the OS.
    > So, there is no way to copy the hard disk if i physically mount it over
    > another pc ('cause of the encryption).
    > One person in my office sustain that he copied all my hard disk without
    > telling me how he did that, so my doubt is that maybe he copied my data by
    > the LAN.
    > The PC is always on, locked with windows user and password prompt (press
    > ctrl+alt+del to begin), the password is knew just by me, nobody know it, the
    > users are Administrator and another user with administrator right (same
    > password for both), guest user disabled. By a batch file in the startup
    > program group i disable the administrative shares (c$, d$ etc etc), there is
    > just a local folder shared over the lan that prompt for user and password
    > every time i try to open it.
    > So, how can he did that? he's not an hacker, i'm more expert that him, for
    > now i just think that he's lying to me, but some doubts is still in my
    > mind...
    > thanx in advance for the replies, sorry for my english but i'm italian ;)

    Looks like it could be done over the network.
    http://www.infoworld.com/Utimaco_SafeGuard_Easy/product_67496.html?view=1&curNodeId=185&index=0
    The article is about an earlier version, so the problems may be fixed...

    keme, Dec 13, 2006

  3. Luke

    Luke Guest

    "keme" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Luke skrev:
    >> Hi everybody,
    >> Here is my question:
    >> I have my personal PC in my office, for my privacy i installed safeguard
    >> easy 4.20 (www.utimaco.com) encrypting the entire hard disk and with a
    >> logon screen that prompt for the user/password before OS boot (win xp
    >> pro).
    >> The PC run in a LAN without domain, just a workgroup, windows firewall is
    >> enabled (i know it's not a good firewall) all MS fixes and patches are
    >> installed over the OS.
    >> So, there is no way to copy the hard disk if i physically mount it over
    >> another pc ('cause of the encryption).
    >> One person in my office sustain that he copied all my hard disk without
    >> telling me how he did that, so my doubt is that maybe he copied my data
    >> by the LAN.
    >> The PC is always on, locked with windows user and password prompt (press
    >> ctrl+alt+del to begin), the password is knew just by me, nobody know it,
    >> the users are Administrator and another user with administrator right
    >> (same password for both), guest user disabled. By a batch file in the
    >> startup program group i disable the administrative shares (c$, d$ etc
    >> etc), there is just a local folder shared over the lan that prompt for
    >> user and password every time i try to open it.
    >> So, how can he did that? he's not an hacker, i'm more expert that him,
    >> for now i just think that he's lying to me, but some doubts is still in
    >> my mind...
    >> thanx in advance for the replies, sorry for my english but i'm italian ;)

    > Looks like it could be done over the network.
    > http://www.infoworld.com/Utimaco_SafeGuard_Easy/product_67496.html?view=1&curNodeId=185&index=0
    > The article is about an earlier version, so the problems may be fixed...

    Done over the LAN? how? omit safeguard easy.. there's a way to copy hard
    disk over the lan?
    thanx

    Luke, Dec 13, 2006
  4. Luke

    dave Guest

    You guys all have so much more tech savy than I do, I am not eager to
    disclose my iignorance; but I have the same worries about doing any
    personal business at office over the LAN. So my own simple-minded
    solution is to keep a little laptop locked up at office that is cold
    boot password protected. If I have to tend to any personal matters
    during the course of the day, I plug a PCMCIA wireless card (carried in
    my pocket along with a flashcard that I can use to take personal data
    home with me for backup to home machine) and I connect to my Wireless
    Internet Provider. This is not a "firewall"; it is a "coldwall". Eg,
    work on office machine, and tending to personal matters arising, are on
    different machines entirely. I am sure this solution has flaws that
    group will quickly point out; but so far it has worked OK for me. Hope
    this amateurish solution is helpful to others. Good luck and Happy
    Holidays to all, from 'dave'

    dave, Dec 14, 2006