    spy bot, none of these have detected a virus/spyware utility on my pc. What
    is this thing?
    Thanks
    george, Aug 1, 2004

  2. What kind of popup? If it says "messenger service" in the title bar, it
    means you don't have a good firewall protecting your computer from the
    internet - this is a must. The popup itself isn't harmful but is indicative
    of a larger underlying problem.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Aug 1, 2004

  3. george

    dcdon Guest

    Hi george,

    Those things are SPAM...
    If you have anything to do with them, it should be to do a Google search
    with the name of the URL and the words infection malware type thingies.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=s...3sc.7008$&rnum=4

    Read that one, and see if ti looks to them.

    don

    dcdon, Aug 1, 2004
  4. george

    george Guest

    Thanks for your reply - I would have thought that Norton Security 2004 has a
    good firewall. The pop-up comes once in a while when you browse the
    internet. Its not related to specific sites, sometimes it comes up just when
    I read e-mails.

    george, Aug 3, 2004
  5. OK - if it isn't "messenger spam", try running AdAware and Spybot (see
    following link for more help).

    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines:
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Aug 3, 2004
  6. george

    george Guest

    Thanks for your reply. I do have both ad-aware and spybot and neither have
    detected any problems, so I am a little puzzled...

    george, Aug 4, 2004
  7. george

    Leythos Guest

    In article <ceqjvl$m6f$>,
    says...
    > Thanks for your reply. I do have both ad-aware and spybot and neither have
    > detected any problems, so I am a little puzzled...

    I've seen 4 instances of spyware that I could not remove using all of
    the tools that I have any even hacking the registry. In these cases I
    could only wipe and reinstall and then provide the user with FireFox
    0.9.X for a browser and lock down their Outlook.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Aug 4, 2004
  8. george

    Chuck Guest

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:14:45 +0000 (UTC), "george" <> wrote:

    >Thanks for your reply. I do have both ad-aware and spybot and neither have
    >detected any problems, so I am a little puzzled...

    George,

    If neither AdAware or Spybot S&D provide results, try HijackThis.
    <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>

    Create a separate folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis - copy the
    downloaded file there. Then, run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes
    immediately. Save the HJT Log.
    <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>

    Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
    following security forums (and post a link to your forum posts, here):
    Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
    Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
    Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
    Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>