    This means that some ports must be open. While I know that no
    system on the internet is safe completely, what are some of the best
    ways to protect our network from intruders/hackers?

    Justin, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Justin

    mto Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > We need an email server (Exchange 2003), web services (Outlook Web
    > Access), and other Http Services. In the future as well, access to a
    > web app utilizing SQL2000 will also become necessary. This system
    > will be on a cable network.
    >
    > This means that some ports must be open. While I know that no
    > system on the internet is safe completely, what are some of the best
    > ways to protect our network from intruders/hackers?

    Get a Linux server!

    mto, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Justin

    solarmax Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > We need an email server (Exchange 2003), web services (Outlook Web
    > Access), and other Http Services. In the future as well, access to a
    > web app utilizing SQL2000 will also become necessary. This system
    > will be on a cable network.
    >
    > This means that some ports must be open. While I know that no
    > system on the internet is safe completely, what are some of the best
    > ways to protect our network from intruders/hackers?

    Get a decent firewall; not something you can purchase at a computer store.
    Learn how to use it. Open only what is necessary. Monitor its logs regulary.
    Question the traffic you see.

    Apply patches to the applications and OS religiously. Learn how to harden
    your OS. Don't put it off.

    Do portscans and vulnerability detection from the inside and the outside or
    hire someone to do this. Repeat at least every six months.

    That's a decent start.

    solarmax, Jul 16, 2003